What is the role of the Board of Trustees? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is the role of the Board of Trustees?

If the Board didn't get involved when JB was handed his second major probation, why would they get involved now? And let's be clear, we do not want an institution where the Board is getting involved in coaching decisions. That's off the rails.

But what if - as an example - JW already has his eyes on Sean Miller and his buyout drops by $5M if we wait a year? I’m NOT saying that is a concern but if JW is ready and willing, how much financial latitude does he have with these negotiations? If he says he wants to aggressively pursue high profile coach X and he needs to offer $40M guaranteed over 5 years… starting at $7M/year… I’m guessing the Board of Trustees still has to approve. Will they be willing to open up the purse to do what is needed.

That’s not a ridiculous number by the way. If we’re serious about the future and trying to survive the political chaos that is on the horizon with the GOR in a few years, it’s put up or shut up time. But in the meantime let’s just wait another year because….?
There is zero chance SU will ever pay a basketball coach $7 million to coach. I doubt there is much of a buyout for Sean Miller. He was lucky to get hired.

Reading between the lines it seems clear that there are significant university donors who have verbally stated they’d be less inclined to donate should Boeheim be drummed out.

So as a fan, I’ll just stop buying tickets and going to games.

Reading between the lines it seems clear that there are significant university donors who have verbally stated they’d be less inclined to donate should Boeheim be drummed out.
What is in it for these big donors to keep Boeheim? Is it special access? Why would the access dry up with a new coach? This doesn’t add up. Seems like we could put guarantees in place to keep the donors happy.

There is zero chance SU will ever pay a basketball coach $7 million to coach. I doubt there is much of a buyout for Sean Miller. He was lucky to get hired.

The buyout doesn't have to be mutual.

So as a fan, I’ll just stop buying tickets and going to games.

Thanks for your support.

This is why for Joe Fan it gets frustrating. Earlier threads stating Wildhack hands are tied by BOT. This thread says BOT has no interest. Whatever or whoever is making the decision needs to have the talk soon. If not it looks like the school just wants to cash the ACC check.
Look at my earlier post. Wildhack’s hands aren’t tied. He has ultimate say over hiring and firing the basketball coach. The issue is that the athletic director, ideally, would want to get buy in from Syverud and the BOT and maybe influential boosters. Basically no one wants to do the dirty work, no one wants to do what needs to be done. JB would also get a monetary send-off. Crum got $7 million and that was 20+ years ago. I think Wildhack is hoping that JB, at 78, will come to the decision of his own volition, or maybe he can help move him a long with candid conversations about planning for the succession.

You going to say the same thing to the people who are threatening to pull the support if JB leaves like the rumors state? Or is that OK?

Rumors. What rumors? Whose rumors? People either support the program or they don’t. Some people do phase out due to age or finances or they move. But a hardcore fan vs a front runner is there regardless of who the coach is, who the players are and yes even no matter the record.

Rumors. What rumors? Whose rumors? People either support the program or they don’t. Some people do phase out due to age or finances or they move. But a hardcore fan vs a front runner is there regardless of who the coach is, who the players are and yes even no matter the record.
What that suggests - to your line of thinking that equates fan card status to financial support - is that some of the biggest donors are only fans of Boeheim if they in fact are threatening to pull their support. Based on the rumors.

Honestly sick of all the rumors. Is he staying? Is he leaving? Is JW held hostage? Is JW being forced to hire within? Is JW going to just let his contract expire? Are boosters calling the shots?

Rumors circulate when there is complete silence and zero facts because the university will not - or cannot - publicize a timeline. This is being treated like a national security matter. It’s absurd.

Ehhhh, I don’t know. I’m never comfortable telling people how to be a fan and how to spend their money. If people want to spend no matter what, have at it. But shaming someone who doesn’t see the value or fun in it anymore is kinda bad, in my opinion.

In fairness to you, I hate the “I’m not going anymore!” Posts. It’s definitely like someone throwing a tantrum. Don’t go if you choose, but making a spectacle of it is “look at me!” childishness.

What that suggests - to your line of thinking that equates fan card status to financial support - is that some of the biggest donors are only fans of Boeheim if they in fact are threatening to pull their support. Based on the rumors.

Honestly sick of all the rumors. Is he staying? Is he leaving? Is JW held hostage? Is JW being forced to hire within? Is JW going to just let his contract expire? Are boosters calling the shots?

Rumors circulate when there is complete silence and zero facts because the university will not - or cannot - publicize a timeline. This is being treated like a national security matter. It’s absurd.

Who said the only way to support the team is financial? It’s one way but support comes in many flavors. I know many longtime fans who are fans through thick or thin that don’t have the means to be big financial donors.

was probably already posted and discussed in other threads-
Is it Weitsman, more than the BoT or AD or even chancy, who pulls the strings? i.e., "no more JB = no more of my $$"?

edit: or perhaps more accurately, "JB being forced out = no more of my $$"?

was probably already posted and discussed in other threads-
Is it Weitsman, more than the BoT or AD or even chancy, who pulls the strings? i.e., "no more JB = no more of my $$"?

edit: or perhaps more accurately, "JB being forced out = no more of my $$"?
He’s buddy buddy with the assistants too. Take that fwiw when it comes to a coaching change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom