What is there to get excited about | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is there to get excited about

I’m still bullish on the season. Let’s face it. We all knew these three games would likely be losses. If we can get through FSU relatively intact with Shrader not injured, I like our chances the rest of the way. Between 7-9 wins is still possible if we remain healthy

Today was extremely frustrating. Not competitive. Presnap penalties. Terrible blocking. Zero pressure when we brought more than 4. Very frustrating game. At the end of the day, we won the swing game and the games we were supposed to win. And lost the games we thought we would lose. Just would have hoped to be a little more competitive in these past 2 games.

Carlos has to be more accurate and can’t have an awful spring game but we need wheels a strong arm and someone who can take a lot of hits and I think he checks all 3.

I’m excited for the next game and the rest of the season.
I’m confused by the crazy expectations here.

This team was always gonna be 7-5 best (8-4 stars align) or 5 wins

We are mediocre and have been for 25 years. Dino manages the mediocrity with professionalism and provides cover for the school in that we don’t embarrass ourselves w typical coach behavior.

UNC is damn good, Clemson is always very good

Focus should be on WF BC and Pitt. Let’s get 2 of those 3.

The first half against Army was concerning, first half against Clemson was embarrassing, this was such a bad game from start to finish today - one of the worst I’ve ever seen an SU team play just in terms of our performance across the board …

I look at what Wake Forest has done with their football program and that should be us every year. Our athletic department seems to be committed to winning by upgrading facilities and bringing in better coaches. I imagine they like Dino, as many of us do, but they also need to see results. It’s becoming a better proposition to let him go the longer this season goes.
It was 99 blowkies bad

we will be looking forward to one more game come Christmas time. I’ve always said as long as we’re bowling I’m happy.
If you were here for the suffering and compete detachment the fan base suffered for most of the last 20 years you may not be so content to just go bowling. A low-to-mid level bowl is not an accomplishment that will rejuvenate the program.

That we can be an 8-4 team, which would be a successful regular season.
Glass empty view
Smoked by FSU
VaTech finds their mojo against us
GaTech is resurgent
We never beat Pitt, so why is this year different
Wake is still wake. They will play us tough. We screw it up.
BC plays diamond ferri esque against us

Wheels completely off the bus and we are 4-8

I am downgrading my projection of 8-4/9-3 to 6-6/7-5

Sadly I don't think there is anything to be excited about with regard to the current state of the football program. It is an absolute unmitigated disaster about to drive itself off the cliff. On the flip side, I am cautiously excited about the basketball team and hope to witness a transformation above the frustrating mediocrity that has defined hoops for a decade now.

Today was extremely frustrating. Not competitive. Presnap penalties. Terrible blocking. Zero pressure when we brought more than 4. Very frustrating game. At the end of the day, we won the swing game and the games we were supposed to win. And lost the games we thought we would lose. Just would have hoped to be a little more competitive in these past 2 games.
This.

It's the fact that we haven't been prepared or competitive to come out the gate of games against teams in the tier we want to get too is terrible.

Saw some crazy sta that Dino is 5-18 against Top 25 teams, and has now lost 10 of his last 11 against top 25 teams.

So he was 4-8 against top 25 early in his Cuse tenure, which considering where he started from was impressive.

But as the team has gone from bad to mediocre / bad, we have gotten worse against the level of teams we want to be in.

So something has to give. Dino has steadied the program and improved perception.

But he has not been able to get it to the next level.

I’m excited for the next game and the rest of the season.
Anything can happen. Look at Georgia Tech yesterday.

The only game the rest of the season where we will be really outmatched is FSU. I don't expect to win all of the others, but Cuse should have a pretty good record and bowl destination unless the wheels fall off.

Glass empty view
Smoked by FSU
VaTech finds their mojo against us
GaTech is resurgent
We never beat Pitt, so why is this year different
Wake is still wake. They will play us tough. We screw it up.
BC plays diamond ferri esque against us

Wheels completely off the bus and we are 4-8

I am downgrading my projection of 8-4/9-3 to 6-6/7-5
That happens, Dino is gone. No way you can start 4-0 and miss a bowl game. Not to mention that seems to be a trend for Dino teams to start strong and finish poorly.

I’m not going to panic because we haven’t lost a game we were expected to win yet. But as I said before the season. Anything less than a bowl game this year, it’s time to move on.

He's not on the roster currently
Do they have feelers out to anyone who expects to portal?

At the end of the day, it comes down to the $$$. We need to buy a roster that can compete, and the school just can’t or won’t or both. Boeheim’s sole job should be bringing Weitsman back into the fold so we can land some of these difference makers. The North Carolinas of the world are willing to spend. Their coaching staff credentials all scream proven commodities.

That happens, Dino is gone. No way you can start 4-0 and miss a bowl game. Not to mention that seems to be a trend for Dino teams to start strong and finish poorly.

I’m not going to panic because we haven’t lost a game we were expected to win yet. But as I said before the season. Anything less than a bowl game this year, it’s time to move on.
I don't expect that finish, to be clear, but yeah I agree with you

Downgrading our ceiling to 8 wins. GT is now a L. Pitt, VT, WF are 50/50 whereas before I thought they were likely wins. BC is the only likely win we can count on.

Offense is just too easy to defend. 7-5 is my prediction.

I don't expect that finish, to be clear, but yeah I agree with you
I’m not sure I can say it’s not expected either though. Unfortunately, it seems to be Dino’s track record at Syracuse. Since he took over in 2016.

2016 - 2-4 (4-8)

2017 - 1-5 (4-8)

2018 - 5-1 (10-3)

2019 - 2-4 (5-7)

2020 - 0-6 (1-10)

2021 - 2-4 (5-7)

2022 - 1-5 (7-6)

We have had a winning record in the last 6 games of the year 1 time in his 7 previous years. Which is scary because teams should get better as the year goes on. We seem to always get worse. Injuries are part of the reason. But at this point, when injuries are the blame for 7 straight years, the strength and conditioning program needs to be investigated and critiqued. Something isn’t working.

As Syracuse football fan we are all now programmed to except losses before the games are even played. It has been a rough 25 years to stay at this mindset. I'm old enough to remember the coach Mac/P era's and driving up to the dome expecting to win. It's the beatdowns that SU has been part of that makes being a fan really depressing. Dino is really a bad head coach in so many areas however, he just has that "likable" personality that it's hard to admit that. It's always something with these football teams and product that is put on the field. Some are out of DB's control but he just seems to add fuel to a burning trainwreck over a course of the game. For me personally, I am ready for a change and stop this revolving door of bad football in the ACC. Whom should SU target as the next head coach, I don't have the answer but it needs to happen. This SU football nightmare needs to stop and it has been going on since the firing of coach P.

Dino in his press conference said the team "will be ready" for the Fla St. game..."we'll show up..."
There is a difference ...BIG difference in those 2 statements. Cuse showed up yesterday...

My concern going forward for the rest of the season is this team will find ways to lose games and we end up 6-6 or worse. VaTech, Ga Tech, Wake seem to be improving and CUSE isn't.

If you were here for the suffering and compete detachment the fan base suffered for most of the last 20 years you may not be so content to just go bowling. A low-to-mid level bowl is not an accomplishment that will rejuvenate the program.
That may be true, but as a newer fan (third year) I can only speak to my own perspective.

That may be true, but as a newer fan (third year) I can only speak to my own perspective.
If people want to ignore that we haven’t had back to back bowl years in a decade let them. You are correct to think that is good for the program. We need to string these seasons together to change perception. We all want to win ten games every year, but let’s walk before we run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom