What is Tom Izzo's secret? | Syracusefan.com

What is Tom Izzo's secret?

Eric15

Living Legend
He's on the verge of his 7th Final Four in 20 seasons. Is there some aspect of his recruiting, scheduling, player rotation that we could adopt to be more successful?

It just seems like regardless of his personnel, his guys are peaking in March every damn year.

He's on the verge of his 7th Final Four in 20 seasons. Is there some aspect of his recruiting, scheduling, player rotation that we could adopt to be more successful?

It just seems like regardless of his personnel, his guys are peaking in March every damn year.
It's probably a little bit of everything. It really is amazing that every year it seems his teams make a run at just the right time.

I think he generally outcoaches the opposition and performs well in big games. It would be interesting to see them play Kentucky.

Izzo does a great job of recruiting hard nosed players that fit his system. They may not be 100% hard nosed when they arrive at MSU but they are when they leave. You can't play for him unless you defend and rebound. Most of his players stay 3-4 years (very few one and dones) so he always has veteran leadership. Does a great job of developing his bench as he usually goes 9--10 deep. He also seems willing to take his lumps early in the season against good competition while experimenting with various rotations in personnel in order to peak late.

In the NCAAs many teams are not ready for MSU's physicality. Lastly Izzo makes in game adjustments as well as anybody. Probably the best coach in the country.

i'm sure there are many reasons. i would say that one big difference i've noticed between JB and Izzo is that MSU has always played a tougher schedule early. he's more willing to absorb a couple early losses to a duke or kansas and learn from them rather than pad his stats with cupcakes.

62-58! You're not going to win many games scoring 58 points! Typical MSU W.

As Bilas and others have indicated, the college game is just ugly to watch, most of the time...this is what you get. Izzo has mastered his system and his reputation has allowed for it to carry on in the tourney with success, whereas Pitt's (similar system and style) has failed due to Dixon's reputation/lack of success come tourney time.

i'm sure there are many reasons. i would say that one big difference i've noticed between JB and Izzo is that MSU has always played a tougher schedule early. he's more willing to absorb a couple early losses to a duke or kansas and learn from them rather than pad his stats with cupcakes.

That's why he has a 12-9 record as a Tournament underdog, best among coaches. Barely loses a Big Ten Tournament title, but is low-ranked because of all those early season losses, then sandbags the NCAAs and everyone thinks he's a great coach. Nice formula.-VBOF

izzo had already absorbed losses to duke, kansas, notre dame and maryland before the calendar flipped. we lost to NOVA. another little debbie december.

I still find it hard to believe that a team, after going through a Big East or now an ACC schedule, hasn't faced enough quality opposition to be ready for the post season. I think it has more to do with stressing defense and rebounding.

getting kids to play as a hard nosed team rather than wimpy individuals is his secret -

I will be honest about how I feel we roll the dice...... alot.

we lack a strong physcial defense that is all over you at times, Especially our guards up top. We read the passing lanes, but don't force them to make stupid passes, instead we sit back and hope they will, we sit back and anticipate. sometimes they do sometimes they dont.

On the offense end we often have 3 good scorers but sometimes are missing the 4th 5th, I prefer to lose forcing good shots earlier in the shot clock to working around and trying to outsmart opponents, while the other teams is getting confident buckets, every time. I think a look of confidence is so important to offensive momentum even if it means you are being outscored it leaves you with the feeling you are going to start breaking out and go on runs. The end of the ncstate game last night was a great example of this.

I guess what I am trying to say is I feel there our ball clubs that sit back and play the wisdom and smart game and there are clubs that just go out and get it and win with hustle, inviting physicallity and oozing confidence. Teams that take it to physical defense instead of trying to be smarter then the other team. I love a smart run play that works, but smart ball can put you in the tentative losing train very fast in a hard fought game. Teams like Ville, Michstate, duke and Uconn Kentucky understand this as more of the later.

I wish we could beome more like aggressive in JB's last few seasons. But you have to have the right chemistry for that. We just had our second best on the ball defender transfer in Buss I think that could be a bigger loss then BJ.

Looking at Virginia, and Villinovas early exit, even NCstate(who I thought had more talent then ville honeslty) I got the same feeling from them. Try to play smart ball, and don't score over a physical defense and you will get burnt.

Act instead of react it takes good guard play especially in a 2-3 zone defenselivly up top to accomplish that. I want us to be smell blood team, that blows evenly matched teams out once in awhile.

I will always be a diehard syracuse fan but just the way I view our ballclub, plenty of emotion, but I hope we aren't leaning towards a constant trend more towards water then fire in JB's last few seasons. MCW, CJ, Triche and Southerland had the fire a few years ago, Dion and Scoop had the fire, and those teams went to the elite 8 and beyond. The ennis, Fair, jeremy grant, cooney team was more the opposite.

In this day and ago smart ball tends to get knocked out early all to often. Need to take risks and look like the dominant team with swag play such a huge part of college ball, and a massive impact on momentum, imo. Need to dig deep down inside not just make the confident shot or rotate and grab a simple rebound.

I hope JB can bring that back in his last few seasons and we are all praying for a championship (and that wouldn't be sneaking up under the radar anymore, not with JB's coaching legacy).

just my two cents.

Last edited:

This is what I was gonna mention. Is it everything? No, but I don't think it hurts.

As far as defense goes, for whatever its worth, this year we had a better defense than MSU.

And let's be honest here, a lot of it is luck too. We're talking single elimination tournaments here.

izzo had already absorbed losses to duke, kansas, notre dame and maryland before the calendar flipped. we lost to NOVA. another little debbie december.
SU got ND and Duke twice in conference. And, Maryland was not out of conference for MSU. Not as different as you suggest.

if you want to argue that our conference is better go ahead. if you want to argue that Izzo doesn't schedule tougher OOC games well you're just dead wrong.

My take: Izzo's teams usually get better as the season goes on. To me that reflects that he is a good teacher, whatever they do in practice gets guys to improve, and he certainly motivates his guys to play hard. They are so successful in March because they impose their will on the other team...defensively. They are physical and great rebounders. His teams always win the rebounding battle and they don't allow many offensive rebounds and second shots. They usually have just enough offense. They are not flashy but they don't make bonehead turnovers late in games and they almost never take a bad stupid shot. That kind of discipline is instilled in his players over the course of a season. Every season. Izzo doesn't get the top 10 type players. He does it with solid players. When MSU meets up with the elite AA's of other teams in the FF that is usually when they get beat but that is usually very deep into the tourney.

if you want to argue that our conference is better go ahead. if you want to argue that Izzo doesn't schedule tougher OOC games well you're just dead wrong.
I'm pointing out that his non-con is our conference.

big ten ain't no slouch. it's possible we could see an IZZO, WISC , ND, DUKE final four. he's already played them !

Last edited:
This year has been luck. Seriously the officiating his team received against the two ACC teams they played was borderline corrupt.