What is your breaking point? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is your breaking point?

I think this is what every fan of every team at the bottom of every P5 conference tells themselves... When all these guys we got are Seniors and Juniors watch out big boys, WATCH OUT!!!

I can see the logic, but not sure it's how it works. Buddy is not going to get faster, JGIII isn't likely going to turn into an AA, and our future Centers may be what Sidibe is, just a hope and a dream of something better. Like Marek... Who still hasn't morphed into Dirk.
Perhaps those guys don’t turn into AA but as long as they aren’t complete misses it is quality depth. If they can attract a bigger name (big if) then maybe it won’t take long.

With all the recruiting misses to go along with Oshae, tyus and frank all leaving Idk what ppl expected. There is zero leadership. The whole thing needed to be blown up years ago to get rid of this early departure crap and it finally completely burned us with brissett this summer. I guess my hope is the Syracuse brand won’t keep us at the bottom like the Clemson’s and nc state forever.

I never give up or quit on the team.

But do you enjoy the games? Loyalty is great, but if it leaves you in a bad mood once or twice a week, when is it enough? The team needs to be good enough to be competitive to make it fun.

Losing for so long in football was no fun, until Dino sparked my interest again.
(There were some good wins under Marrone, but not enough to really get excited about, and then he was gone.)

But next year, we have to win games again. No more of this ineptitude.

Last edited:
I have no breaking point. I have bled orange since the early 60's. I have and will ALWAYS support SU. What i wont do is support mediocrity from any coach or administrator regardless of their past achievements. At this point Jim needs to put SU first. He should have retired after the last final 4. He is a legend and an Icon but its time to let the program go. He needs to realize its time to step down.

Idk what you being in attendance has to do with anything. I watched on TV and saw the same stuff.
They need to learn how to close out halves and games. The good thing is they are young. If this was a veteran team (last year) with a bunch of returning starters I would be pissed. This team is playing 3-4 regular freshman...the most experienced player is marek. He seems to have developed well overall after a few years.
I’m not saying it doesn’t suck...just take it for what it is and assess whether the team is better at the end of the year. Getting frustrated to me is a waste of time this year.

Take that from a cowboy/braves fan who has been mediocre since 1995 though.
What you fail to understand is that once proud feared program is unrecognizable. No more excuses . When teams see on us the schedule they are not concerned. Thats a problem . He has to go bottom line.

Last edited:
JBA is very thin. Reminds me a bit of a taller BJ. I think giving him the RS is a great idea.

In the pregame shoot around, he takes 3's with the rest of the forwards. Once he adds some muscle, he should be a pretty decent player.

He’s the most physical of all of our centers.

What you fail to understand is that once proud feared program is unrecognizable. No more excuses . He has to go bottom line.
I get your frustration... a little dramatic with the proud/feared thing but I get it.

after the NC and warrick graduation we missed pretty hard on the Nicole/Roberts/Watkins/devo era for a good 4-5 years as well. Never making it out of the round of 32 if making at all. Then all of a sudden it became really cool to play at cuse again. They hit on Flynn, rautins and AO developed, they took a transfer in Wes Johnson and boom back again. Is boeheim going to Be around for another renaissance...probably not though.

I get your frustration... a little dramatic with the proud/feared thing but I get it.

after the NC and warrick graduation we missed pretty hard on the Nicole/Roberts/Watkins/devo era for a good 4-5 years as well. Never making it out of the round of 32 if making at all. Then all of a sudden it became really cool to play at cuse again. They hit on Flynn, rautins and AO developed, they took a transfer in Wes Johnson and boom back again. Is boeheim going to Be around for another renaissance...probably not though.
We should've played Fab Melo. F'ck the NCAA!

We should've played Fab Melo. F'ck the NCAA!
Ha! I love that you hold on to that season and the idea that we should have done that because the results would have been the same. No sarcasm here. I think you are correct! Go Cuse and F the NCAA for that decision.

Ha! I love that you hold on to that season and the idea that we should have done that because the results would have been the same. No sarcasm here. I think you are correct! Go Cuse and F the NCAA for that decision.
The fact that we'll never know makes it even worse. UK had Anthony Davis that year, and Fab was the ONLY player who would've had a somewhat decent chance to neutralize him. Maybe we would've still lost, but I would loved to see that matchup.
Besides, what did keeping him out net us other than some more sanctions on minor BS? Compared to whats been going on w/ the FBI thing and major programs, what we did was Mickey Mouse. Yet they're all still playing, recruiting, and winning. Meanwhile, we're losing to a 7-man GTown team, having lost 4 players in 2 weeks, with a 180 lb starting PF. No, we should have played FAb- it would've been worth it. :mad:

Last edited:
Yeah. I’m ‘bent’ rather than broken. I’m still, obsessively, going to watch every game and every minute. But whereas it used to be an event—lucky tee, lucky socks, OJ, etc., sitting on the edge of my seat—it’s now just ‘on,’ and I might be playing solitaire or on a guitar forum while I’m giving the game like 80% attention.

I can’t imagine what it would take or for how long for me to actually stop watching. Can’t imagine it. I’ve missed like two or three broadcast games (radio/tv) since 1985. Can’t imagine it.
Yes, I am sure I will be watching the games on the tv on my death bed. But losing is very hard on my mood. I also cope with my anxiety watching the games by playing Scrabble or Euchre on my iPad. It is MUCH better to go to the games, if you can, because you feel very involved and that is good for the soul.

I didn’t think they played that badly today. I will now set myself down in the stocks and you can throw kumquats at me.

We made roast beef and hung our Christmas ornaments. The Roast was cooked to perfection (medium rare).
Is your youngest named Cindy Lou? And it’s called roast beast.

I'm curious- where honestly are the last remaining optimists on this program? I have been at the point of turning off games and purposely avoiding them in our recent bad stretch of years but this year, honestly it is hard to care much while there is no sign of change at the top of program. Not bailing on supporting my alma mater but I have about reached my breaking point with accepting this as a reality that could still turn positive.

I'm curious what about others? Is it two losing seasons in a row or more ? Or is it JB can coach till he is 90 and it is absolutely ok because he has earned it? I think more and more are frustrated but not to the point where they aren't willing to choose Netflix every night over SU games in the dome or at home...
I truthfully don’t believe that I have a breaking point in this aspect. In my mind eternal, mostly unwarranted, optimism is what makes being a sports fan great. No matter what happens or what lows we go through holding that optimism that something great MIGHT happen makes it all worth it to me.

Last edited:
I truthfully don’t believe that I have a breaking point in this aspect. In my kind eternal, mostly unwarranted optimism, is what makes being a sports fan great. No matter what happens or what lows we go through holding that optimism that something great MIGHT happen makes it all worth it to me.
Well said!

I'm curious- where honestly are the last remaining optimists on this program? I have been at the point of turning off games and purposely avoiding them in our recent bad stretch of years but this year, honestly it is hard to care much while there is no sign of change at the top of program. Not bailing on supporting my alma mater but I have about reached my breaking point with accepting this as a reality that could still turn positive.

I'm curious what about others? Is it two losing seasons in a row or more ? Or is it JB can coach till he is 90 and it is absolutely ok because he has earned it? I think more and more are frustrated but not to the point where they aren't willing to choose Netflix every night over SU games in the dome or at home...
With the team or with other posters?

Lot more patience with the former than the latter.

I never stopped watching SU football. If I could do that, this is a walk in the park.

I started really following SU hoops JB's first year so I have never experienced anything like this but it is 1 year in 44 so I really cannot complain.

Good or bad, I'll never stop watching. That is what fans do.

So what’s your point? We are about talking about the team now.. My point was JB has to go. We need fresh set of eyes a new perspective. We are getting blown out.. You must cool with mediocrity

Last edited:
My brother and pops are like me, I’d consider them pretty die-hard.

They might not post on this messageboard, but we’ve all flown to big games in Syracuse and out-of-town together, always go to the games in Atlanta together, and, in general, spend a lot of money on the program.

I group texted them yesterday about how awful the officials were in the first half.

Finally got a text back 3 hours later - “oh, luckily we missed it, we were all out running errands”.

I turned the game off early, yet again, then went on with my day.

I say it all the time... the posters who get annoyed at negativity... we should be lucky people still get mad.

Anger means you still have a fanbase. Apathy is a program killer.

I've been an SU FB/BB fan since the 1960's and wouldn't know how not to be one. The only time I wondered if it was worth the pain and frustration was in the wake of that night in Raleigh in 1998 when I'd convinced myself that we were going to run the table after the Tennessee loss and get to the first BCS title game and McNabb was going to win the Heisman in his senior year and we sleep-walked through a 17-38 loss that crushed our, (my) dreams. I really wondered: is this adding to my life or subtracting from it?

I've learned since then not to get too high or too low, to deal with reality rather than expectations and to see the Upside and the Downside. if it gets too much, I simply enjoy the other things in life, (books, old movies, etc.). the players and coaches don't get to do that. We do. I'll still follow the teams and can still enjoy their triumphs. In a downturn, I look for signs of improvement. It's still early in the season with a young team. We may not make the NCAAs or even the NIT. I'd be very sad if we couldn't at least continue our run of winning seasons, which I think is special. But I'll still be rooting for them no matter what happens. Loyalty gets rewarded eventually.

JB seemed calm and even encouraged at the press conference. I'll panic when he does.

My breaking point? I will be at every game and enjoy pulling for the Orange as long as I'm breathing. We have been spoiled by an almost unprecedented level of success. There are programs that would kill to have a 20-14 season and we label it as mediocrity.

Plenty of time for post mortems come April but the fact of the matter is that college basketball is cyclical and one or two recruiting coups can transform a middle of the pack team into a championship contender. Granted we have not closed on a major recruiting coup in a few years but we have certainly been in the mix. And when the new NBA CBA goes into effect and the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world are scooping up two McD AAs a year instead of five or six I expect to see a broader distribution of talent and greater continuity in the college game.

Sorry for the rant, but those of us who have been following the program for decades and have a bit wider perspective tend to look at things more holistically than just blaming their disappointment on an "old" coach.

My breaking point? I will be at every game and enjoy pulling for the Orange as long as I'm breathing. We have been spoiled by an almost unprecedented level of success. There are programs that would kill to have a 20-14 season and we label it as mediocrity.

Plenty of time for post mortems come April but the fact of the matter is that college basketball is cyclical and one or two recruiting coups can transform a middle of the pack team into a championship contender. Granted we have not closed on a major recruiting coup in a few years but we have certainly been in the mix. And when the new NBA CBA goes into effect and the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world are scooping up two McD AAs a year instead of five or six I expect to see a broader distribution of talent and greater continuity in the college game.

Sorry for the rant, but those of us who have been following the program for decades and have a bit wider perspective tend to look at things more holistically than just blaming their disappointment on an "old" coach.

In fairness I may not have been around since the 70s and the beginning but Cuse basketball has been a staple in my household since I was old enough to follow it. My first memories are from the 89-90 season and first game was in 92. I followed it and attended as many games as we could afford as a lower income household 100 miles away. I then spent four years at SU, have donated money to the school since I left and made it to as many games as my career and ailing family members allowed which honestly I know is not ten percent of someone like yourself. I also have been a perennial optimist and supported the program no questions asked since that first introduction. So while I maybe be 15-20 years behind , I am not just some "the coach is too old" Johnny come lately.

That is not a knock on you at all just making it clear. Also I am not going to stop supporting the program, but I have reached the point where making sure to spend the money every year for 2-3 games is hard. Along with making sure to watch every game. I won't stop contributing the little I can to SU and rooting for success. I simply think that for the next 30 years to be hopefully as enjoyable for my generation and younger generations that we have reached a point where the brand has fallen some and we need to be willing to see that. I get some of you have no breaking point and that is great. I was not nor ever villifying that position. It was a question with some commentary.

Once again though I do take a little issue with being positioned as someone without perspective because that is inaccurate. I grew up in a household of SU fans.

I've been an SU FB/BB fan since the 1960's and wouldn't know how not to be one. The only time I wondered if it was worth the pain and frustration was in the wake of that night in Raleigh in 1998 when I'd convinced myself that we were going to run the table after the Tennessee loss and get to the first BCS title game and McNabb was going to win the Heisman in his senior year and we sleep-walked through a 17-38 loss that crushed our, (my) dreams. I really wondered: is this adding to my life or subtracting from it?

I've learned since then not to get too high or too low, to deal with reality rather than expectations and to see the Upside and the Downside. if it gets too much, I simply enjoy the other things in life, (books, old movies, etc.). the players and coaches don't get to do that. We do. I'll still follow the teams and can still enjoy their triumphs. In a downturn, I look for signs of improvement. It's still early in the season with a young team. We may not make the NCAAs or even the NIT. I'd be very sad if we couldn't at least continue our run of winning seasons, which I think is special. But I'll still be rooting for them no matter what happens. Loyalty gets rewarded eventually.

JB seemed calm and even encouraged at the press conference. I'll panic when he does.

So can I be clear I have no intention of choosing to dump SU sports?? Not sure why that is the interpretation. Breaking point is not equivalent with walking away and forgetting SU sports exists. If that is how some are reading it- then you are reading it wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom