What is your breaking point? | Syracusefan.com

What is your breaking point?

Orangezoo

In the wind
I'm curious- where honestly are the last remaining optimists on this program? I have been at the point of turning off games and purposely avoiding them in our recent bad stretch of years but this year, honestly it is hard to care much while there is no sign of change at the top of program. Not bailing on supporting my alma mater but I have about reached my breaking point with accepting this as a reality that could still turn positive.

I'm curious what about others? Is it two losing seasons in a row or more ? Or is it JB can coach till he is 90 and it is absolutely ok because he has earned it? I think more and more are frustrated but not to the point where they aren't willing to choose Netflix every night over SU games in the dome or at home...

I'm curious- where honestly are the last remaining optimists on this program? I have been at the point of turning off games and purposely avoiding them in our recent bad stretch of years but this year, honestly it is hard to care much while there is no sign of change at the top of program. Not bailing on supporting my alma mater but I have about reached my breaking point with accepting this as a reality that could still turn positive.

I'm curious what about others? Is it two losing seasons in a row or more ? Or is it JB can coach till he is 90 and it is absolutely ok because he has earned it? I think more and more are frustrated but not to the point where they aren't willing to choose Netflix every night over SU games in the dome or at home...

I believe Mantonio moved from Vegas to Florida.
I don't know where any of the others like CuseHulk are.

Your logic sounds healthy. If a hobby is not enjoyable, it's wise to avoid it.

I think my current apathy is probably my breaking point.

My spirit was broken 2-3 years ago and now I am a pathetic mess still kidding myself with no prospects of things getting better. I am a shell of the man I was 5-6 years ago and can’t believe that we can’t get traction ever. This is my favorite sport during my favorite time of the year with another handful of air. I am reaching the point of being truly indifferent to salvage my mental health

I'll watch. I'll yell. I'll scream. My wife & kids will ask; "Is that Syracuse playing"? I'll mutter an obscenity, take a drink to forget what i'm watching, then turn it off with about 5 minutes left. Next game, rinse and repeat. Such are the ways of love. :(

I just wish the program and school could do something to truly honor JB, revisiting everything he has done and given to the school and thus send him off the right way.. but still send him off. I realize that conflicts with some views and can be taken as an insult and disrespectful to JB. It is so far from that but I just know it's past the point of using the glory years as the reason to drag out the next era for this program. The next era can only be successful because of the original brand JB built. That never leaves and will not ever leave.

I've watched every minute of every NIT game we have ever played in my life (minus the 2002 Temple 3rd place consolation game that was untelevised), so I will never not support this team. But I feel like I'm watching games this season with a general sense of numbness. I haven't been very upset after losses, I just kind of expect it now.

I never give up or quit on the team.

I would never not wish this team well or go support some other school. It has just so happened to reach a point for me where accepting the status quo vs making a point that change is needed has been reached. If what I am doing is considered quitting on the team than so be it- that is not how i see it.

I've watched every minute of every NIT game we have ever played in my life (minus the 2002 Temple 3rd place consolation game that was untelevised), so I will never not support this team. But I feel like I'm watching games this season with a general sense of numbness. I haven't been very upset after losses, I just kind of expect it now.

This is a good way to put it. A numbness that seems to get worse and worse vs temporary.

I hate to disagree with the majority of the board but I think by Buddy's sr year, we will be good. I like Edwards and think he will be a very good 5 for us. I have heard great things about JBA. Not from anyone on the hill either. A noted basketball guy watching Syracuse practice before the year said next year those guys will be able to play. And in two years, no one will want to play against them. Girard and Buddy by that time will be very tough. Sort of N.D. guard types. We will need a 3 to be good. I'm hopeful that team will be very good and send JB off to the sunset. I'm more confidant that we will be very good than I am that Jb will leave at that point.

The sad part about the last sentence is the football and basketball team this year :(

Basically the same.

Hard to even feel mad about the results anymore.

It’s going to be difficult for JB to recruit as he closes out his career. So the program may be mediocre for a year or two beyond JB’s retirement.

They’ll always be my team. But the coming years is going to be a test for many.

Last edited:
I hate to disagree with the majority of the board but I think by Buddy's sr year, we will be good. I like Edwards and think he will be a very good 5 for us. I have heard great things about JBA. Not from anyone on the hill either. A noted basketball guy watching Syracuse practice before the year said next year those guys will be able to play. And in two years, no one will want to play against them. Girard and Buddy by that time will be very tough. Sort of N.D. guard types. We will need a 3 to be good. I'm hopeful that team will be very good and send JB off to the sunset. I'm more confidant that we will be very good than I am that Jb will leave at that point.
If JBA was anything more than another big man project, he would be playing this year. Our frontcourt is atrocious at rebounding. Anybody with a semblance of rebounding skill would be on the floor now and not redshirting.

"Buddy will be very tough."

He'll no doubt improve in some ways, but like Coach Boeheim said himself back in the day (regarding Derrick Coleman), "players arrive on campus with their personalities fully-formed."

Last edited:
I'll never turn my back on the team because I know they are doing the best they can with what they have.

Before the season started, we knew there would be good wins and bad losses. A roller coaster type of season while our basically inexperienced team learned to play to whatever potential they have this year.

Wishing we had better players, better coaching, a new coach or whatever else has been mentioned is a fruitless road to go down. Even if some of those things are right, it doesn't do any good to keep harping on them and frustrating yourself.

Sit back and watch this team get better as the year goes on. It won't be pretty some days, but it won't be for them not trying.

"Buddy will be very tough."

He'll no doubt improve in some ways, but like Coach Boeheim said himself back in the day (regarding Derrick Coleman), "players arrive on campus with their personalities fully-formed."
I wonder if you were the only one who didn't know I was referring to guarding. Not as in he might play middle linebacker for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom