What is your breaking point? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What is your breaking point?

At least you got to see the glory years. I started watching the LA Raiders in mid 80's, at the beginning of the decline.

At least you got to experience the best video game RB combo ever for Tecmo Bowl?

No no no this is not true. Maybe some guys were blocked as freshmen but they at least showed plenty of promise. The Christmas revisionary history on here drives me insane too he was blocked as a freshman but looked good when he played maybe not to his recruiting level, underwhelmed So and Jr years big time, put it together as a senior. Good posters look silly when they reference him as a guy gradually progressing.

The fact that Sidibe who’s clearly overmatched has shown far more good than the young guys I’m referencing should say it all. Sure it’s still early but 2 years in a row of duds other than Boeheim and Girard is why we stink along with our 2 best players forgoing eligibility with no shot at being drafted.

Edwards Gurrier Carey Ajak Goodine is almost half the roster. They are not giving us much collectively. Fine 2 aren’t playing but that means minutes for the other 3. Howard Washington has beat them out for minutes.

Without naming anyone I think our best shot at winning soon is to open up a handful of scholarships to grad and regular transfers for the rest of the JB/Buddy era and punt on guys who have shown up far worse than their recruiting rankings indicated. Happy to be proven wrong.

Rakeem was always a good defensive player. He and Baye Keita shut down the inside in our 2013 run to the Final Four. He didn't become an offensive force until his senior year:

As a freshman:
11.5m 9.6p 10.2r 0.7a 1.0s 2.8b = 24.3+ 3.0mfg 1.1mft 2.2to 5.9pf = 12.2- = 12.1NP 5.5OE 6.6FG
As a sophomore:
20.8m 9.8p 8.8r 0.4a 1.0s 3.5b 23.5+ 3.7mfg 1.1mft 1.7to 4.8pf 11.3- = 12.2NP 5.0OE 7.2FG
As a junior:
23.6m 9.8p 8.6r 1.1a 0.8s 3.3b 23.6+ 2.4mfg 0.8mft 1.3to 5.3pf 9.8- = 13.8NP 6.6OE 7.2FG
As a senior:
34.3m 21.6p 10.6r 1.8a 1.1s 2.9b = 36.7+ 6.2mfg 2.1mft 2.9to 3.9pf = 15.1- = 21.6NP 12.0OE 9.6FG

I wouldn't say that he was "blocked". As a freshman he and Baye played behind Fab Melo. They then split the position for the next two years and then he had it to himself in the final year. But he was never a big scorer until then. he also became a better rebounder, had more assists and steals and fewer fouls. He did have more missed shots and turnovers because he was getting the ball more.

He didn't stay the player he was as a freshman. Most players don't- at least not if they are going to stay with the program for four years.

The OP is a weird question. I doubt anyone here suddenly decided after any 1 game or season that you were “done”. This has been a gradual acclimation for most of us. Maybe for some of you this is like middle age - one morning you wake up and look in the mirror and you notice the bags under the eyes, the receding hairline, the sag and the sunspots. But the signs were there for years.

The OP is a weird question. I doubt anyone here suddenly decided after any 1 game or season that you were “done”. This has been a gradual acclimation for most of us. Maybe for some of you this is like middle age - one morning you wake up and look in the mirror and you notice the bags under the eyes, the receding hairline, the sag and the sunspots. But the signs were there for years.
HEY!

My hairline is not receding.

So youd rather be us than Ohio St as it stands now? Get out of here.

I think a better reference would be Duke who lost to Stephen F. Austin, UNC who lost to Wofford, etc. The one thing we haven't done, (knock on wood) is lose to a mid or lower major. it's been an ACC team,. a Big 12 team, two Big ten teams and a Big East team. That's why our NET ranking, (75th), is exactly what it was last year when we got an 8 seed. That's why JB said we aren't as bad shape as everybody thinks we are.

We need to improve and play much better to retain and improve that ranking but for right now we're treading water, not drowning.

I think a better reference would be Duke who lost to Stephen F. Austin, UNC who lost to Wofford, etc. The one thing we haven't done, (knock on wood) is lose to a mid or lower major. it's been an ACC team,. a Big 12 team, two Big ten teams and a Big East team. That's why our NET ranking, (75th), is exactly what it was last year when we got an 8 seed. That's why JB said we aren't as bad shape as everybody thinks we are.

We need to improve and play much better to retain and improve that ranking but for right now we're treading water, not drowning.

Good info. Thanks.

Using the NET, it does appear your treading water analogy is more accurate than drowning. I admit, I'm not up on the NET, so I don't know if they figure in margin of defeat, etc. or not. However, from the eye test in 5 of those double digit relative blow out losses, at least psychologically, it sure as heck appears a lot more like drowning than dreading water.

Last year we lost to UConn, Old Dominion, and Buffalo. We made the tournament not because we beat the teams we should but because we had gigantic road wins at Ohio State and #1 Duke.
If we beat Old Dominion and Buffalo at home and lost to Ohio State and Duke I don't think we make it last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom