What Jim Phillips has done to unify ACC football | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What Jim Phillips has done to unify ACC football

Oh man! That mention brings back some serious pain. This place is well aware of all that went down back then, well, at least the past variation of this board, Rivals or Scout, I can't recall. Shortly after the conference's formality type inspection of the SU grounds, etc., as you mentioned, the governor, Warner, went DEFCON 1. Afterwards, it was rather apocalyptic at the time around here for a bit. :(:mad:
It also didn't help that the chancellor and AD were ambivalent about the proposal. Jim Boeheim wasn't thrilled about it either.

The way I read it, 1987 was the subject.

And, by the way, Tim Brown stole the Heisman from Don McPherson that season.
No debate on the Heisman, should've been McPherson.

It was our resident troll that tried to make it specifically about '87. The discussion was who the best independent was when the Big East football conference was formed.

By far, two of the most significant/monumental beneficial events in the history, health, wealth, future etc. of Syracuse Athletics. And, both times JB couldn’t have been any more wrong than what he was.
In fairness as regards the Dome he played a very large part in proving himself wrong.

In fairness as regards the Dome he played a very large part in proving himself wrong.
Yeah. It's just an example of how he sometimes doesn't see when an alternative to what he thinks is best may be better until it's forced on him.

Yeah. It's just an example of how he sometimes doesn't see when an alternative to what he thinks is best may be better until it's forced on him.
That's why after the 2nd probation he should have left. Staying has hurt the program he helped build.

Lol. People don’t realize he was the coach and didn’t want to give up any competitive advantage. I didn’t want to leave Manley either. But I’m not as clairvoyant as others who knew we could draw 30,000.

Lol. People don’t realize he was the coach and didn’t want to give up any competitive advantage. I didn’t want to leave Manley either. But I’m not as clairvoyant as others who knew we could draw 30,000.
Wasn't he also initially against joining the Big East?

Wasn't he also initially against joining the Big East?
I think all of the high-profile coaches of Eastern independents were lukewarm to the idea of a league. I seem to recollect Thompson and Carneseca having misgivings.

I think all of the high-profile coaches of Eastern independents were lukewarm to the idea of a league. I seem to recollect Thompson and Carneseca having misgivings.
I think that speaks to the idea that being good or even elite at something doesn't mean your good at other things. Coaches may not always be forward thinkers, even if they're experts at their sport. They may even occasionally be stubborn to their own detriment. The league thing may have been easier to foresee. All of the elites of the time were in conferences.