what to do with brissett the rest of the year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

what to do with brissett the rest of the year

As to your last point, I agree. That's also dependant on the refs calling it when he gets hit. He doesn't get much respect from them

He is always fading away on his shots near the basket, refs will not give fouls when you do thar. He could improve both his make percentage and fouls being called by simply attacking the basket rather than fading away as he usually does. Itis the main reason he misses short most of the time.

Last edited:
Sadly he’s the worst finisher I’ve ever seen. Misses more bunnies than Elmer Fudd.

But that’s where his game is and I feel he’s slowly improving.

As others have said, he’s already made the adjustment to hunt more paint points.

You deserve the "like" for the Elmer Fudd reference alone. Was the word play with "hunt" intentional?

He is always fading away on his shots near the basket, refs will not give fouls when you do thar. He could improve both his make percentage and fouls being by simply attacking the basket rather than fading away as he usually does. Itis the main reason he misses short most of the time.

He seems to lack any sense of touch as he is attacking the rim and often shoots too hard, IMO.

But, I agree with your point about attacking the rim. I think he should try to dunk everything when he gets to the rim and not worry about trying to shimmy away from body contact. I'd like to see him look for contact rather than avoid it.

I'd use him extensively in the pick and roll. Take that job away from Chewy, because it's not effective. Everyone has seen it, Chewy doesn't even actually set the pick any more. Time for something new.

I agree, BUT that means Chewy can't reasonably be on the floor. The whole point of a pick and roll these days is to spread the floor with shooters around the 2 man game. Otherwise, Chewy's man will just sit under the basket and screw up everything. So having OB be the roll man forces us to play Marek at the 5, which for the record I am totally fine with.

Yeah, you’d think that.
You’d also be incorrect.

You know who was really great from 2?
CJ Fair. Killer midrange game, right?

Yeah, except - CJ shot between 43-47% his last 3 seasons, when he was a major contributor.
C.J. Fair

Soph OSB is right there in the CJ Fair range for efficiency from 2, as hard as that may be to believe.
You're confusing fg% with 2 point fg%. Fair's 2pt fg% those years was 49%, 47%, 46%. OB's fg% this year is 39%. So he's got a ways to catch CJ.

C.J. Fair College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

You're confusing fg% with 2 point fg%. Fair's 2pt fg% those years was 49%, 47%, 46%. OB's fg% this year is 39%. So he's got a ways to catch CJ.

C.J. Fair College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Yeah, I realized that after I posted.
Orangehoops doesn’t break out 3pt shooting from total FG %, so yeah - CJ’s 2pt shooting was better than what I posted.
Sorry CJ!! I’ll always *heart* your midrange J.

However - now YOU are quoting OSB’s overall % from the field at 39%.

He’s at 44% from 2, which is not a million miles from 46 & 47%, which is what CJ shot as a high usage player his last 2 seasons, much like OSB was and is now.

So - the difference between a “money” 2 point shooter (CJ) and a mason (OSB) isn’t actually very much -
... but it’s UUUUUUGE in terms of perception.

Edited to add: OSB is also the far superior rebounder of the 2.
He also averages more assists, and less TO’s than CJ did.

Frosh OSB was a better FT shooter than CJ’s best year, and this year is worse than any of CJ’s main years.
Which is kinda bizarre - why does a guy go from close to 80% from the line, to 67%?

Last edited:
He is always fading away on his shots near the basket, refs will not give fouls when you do thar. He could improve both his make percentage and fouls being called by simply attacking the basket rather than fading away as he usually does. Itis the main reason he misses short most of the time.
This narrative perpetuates despite recent results.

However - now YOU are quoting OSB’s overall % from the field at 39%.

He’s at 44% from 2, which is not a million miles from 46 & 47%, which is what CJ shot as a high usage player his last 2 seasons, much like OSB was and is now.
I was responding to your stats, but I can see how it can be confusing. :)

People keep commenting on his full season numbers. He's been working hard and he's noticeably better, inside the arc. He's becoming the go-to guy we hoped for.

Needs to make some FTs though.

.787 on 6 attempts per game last year --> .646 on 4.6 attempts per game this year.

We know he can do it, but he's not doing it. And that might be the difference between an upset at North Carolina and yet another loss.

.787 on 6 attempts per game last year --> .646 on 4.6 attempts per game this year.

We know he can do it, but he's not doing it. And that might be the difference between an upset at North Carolina and yet another loss.

Whoever fixed Pascal last year had better figure out a way to fix Oshae this year. And quick.

Play him in the pick and roll like Jerami Grant, slap hos wrist and sit him on the ugly 5 dribble pull up corner three.

He's missed something like 7 free throws in a row over the last two games...and makes might have changed both games.
Something's wrong somewhere.
He used to be a decent free throw shooter.

And this seems ridiculous to say but he should be on a VERY short leash for three pointers.
Take them only when wide open or when he's got the ball as the shot clock is about to expire on the Orange (which seems to happen all too frequently).

He's missed something like 7 free throws in a row over the last two games...and makes might have changed both games.

And this seems ridiculous to say but he should be on a VERY short leash for three pointers.
Take them only when wide open or when he's got the ball as the shot clock is about to expire on the Orange (which seems to happen all too frequently).

it's going to be a heart attack for all of us if we have a slim lead with him on the court. with his ball handling decision making and FT shooting, there's not much good that can come with him out there

hopefully we can have a little run in the ACC tournament where they have to play braswell some to keep everyone fresh

Shocked JB continues to let him shoot.

Sadly he’s the worst finisher I’ve ever seen. Misses more bunnies than Elmer Fudd.

But that’s where his game is and I feel he’s slowly improving.

As others have said, he’s already made the adjustment to hunt more paint points.

Love the Elmer Fudd reference. Let's call a missed lay-up an "Elmer Fudd".

1551286316397.png

I think Oshae needs to do Tyus Battle did: realize that he's better at two point jumpers than three point jumpers. I think he could fill it from 15 feet. it would do more to open things up for his drives than the missed three pointers are. It might even help his free throw shooting.

Love the Elmer Fudd reference. Let's call a missed lay-up an "Elmer Fudd".

View attachment 154835

I think Oshae needs to do Tyus Battle did: realize that he's better at two point jumpers than three point jumpers. I think he could fill it from 15 feet. it would do more to open things up for his drives than the missed three pointers are. It might even help his free throw shooting.

i think we already take way too many of those shots. we're a throwback. i'm ok with battle doing it but no one else.

i think we already take way too many of those shots. we're a throwback. i'm ok with battle doing it but no one else.

As mentioned in a prior post, I have named the three regions for scoring field goals after science fiction shows from my youth. the paint is the "Inner Sanctum, the three point line the "Outer Limits" and the area in between is the "Twilight Zone". We have out-scored the opposition by +38 points this season in the Inner Sanctum. We've been out-scored by -18 points from the Outer Limits. We've out-scored the opposition by +108 points in the Twilight Zone. I just think we're a Twilight Zone kinda team. And Oshae isn't scoring or making the opposition guard him in the Outer Limits. he could do that from the Twilight Zone.

1551288634588.png

Now that he is driving and getting fouled he should be shooting 100 FTs a day.