What was the biggest regular season win in the JB tenure? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What was the biggest regular season win in the JB tenure?

What was the biggest regular season win in the JB tenure?

• At Georgetown 1990

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Kentucky at home 1994

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Pittsburgh at home 2003

Votes: 38 54.3%
  • At Duke 2019

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually sat on the bench for that Purdue game.

It was the national Sunday game with Dick Enberg, Billy Packer and Al McGuire.

Eddie Moss made two or three great defensive plays at the end of the game and Roosevelt Bouie made some noise that day.

It was a huge win.

But, by that time, SU BB had already become a national program - that happened, as noted below, during JB's first season - and the first seasons for Louie & Bouie.

Were you on the team? A team manager?

Roosevelt Bouie made some noise that day.

If I remember correctly, didn't Bouie have a huge block on a Carroll dunk attempt towards the end of the game? I think Bouie had four fouls at the time.

But, by that time, SU BB had already become a national program - that happened, as noted below, during JB's first season - and the first seasons for Louie & Bouie.

I really cannot dispute this one way or the other.

Here is my question. Back then, how much did tourney success determine whether a team was considered a national team or not?

Clearly in '75, we were not.

We obviously were not favored to beat Ernie and Bernie.

In JB's first three years, we were drummed out of the tournament by UNC Charlotte (by 22 pts!), Westerrn Kentucky and Penn (although Penn was ranked at the time) - hardly hoops royalty. They did not have seeds back then either so there was no way to tell whether we would have been considered a high or a low seed.

By 1980, the fact that we were granted a 1 seed clearly meant that we had arrived on the national scene...

So, at some point between '75 and '80 it did happen...

It was the national Sunday game with Dick Enberg, Billy Packer and Al McGuire.

Eddie Moss made two or three great defensive plays at the end of the game and Roosevelt Bouie made some noise that day.

It was a huge win.

Didn't we go out early in the tournament their first year, to Penn, I think it was, with the bracket opening up in front of us?

Didn't we go out early in the tournament their first year, to Penn, I think it was, with the bracket opening up in front of us?
The loss to Penn was excruciating. It was in March '79 Sweet sixteen. All the good teams in the Eastern Bracket had lost already and we were staring at the FF, but Penn beat us in Philadelphia.

That was Louie and Bouie's jr year.

Yes.

That should have been a Final Four team.

Were you on the team? A team manager?

If I remember correctly, didn't Bouie have a huge block on a Carroll dunk attempt towards the end of the game? I think Bouie had four fouls at the time.

I really cannot dispute this one way or the other.

Here is my question. Back then, how much did tourney success determine whether a team was considered a national team or not?

Clearly in '75, we were not.

We obviously were not favored to beat Ernie and Bernie.

In JB's first three years, we were drummed out of the tournament by UNC Charlotte (by 22 pts!), Westerrn Kentucky and Penn (although Penn was ranked at the time) - hardly hoops royalty. They did not have seeds back then either so there was no way to tell whether we would have been considered a high or a low seed.

By 1980, the fact that we were granted a 1 seed clearly meant that we had arrived on the national scene...

So, at some point between '75 and '80 it did happen...

At that time my family was pretty close to JB.

I was attending IU.

When we heard that SU was playing at Purdue, we made a call to JB and he put us on the bench.

It was the loudest home crowd I had ever heard up to that point.

The fact that SU was playing Purdue on Sunday - on national TV - is a good indication that by that time the program had advanced beyond the regional power it had been for a number of years.

Yes, Bouie, after being schooled by Joe Barry for much of the game, had a tremendous block - on an attempted dunk - that shut Purdue fans up like I had never seen before - it was unbelievable.

I would have sworn that Rutgers was the last game of that regular season. I’m amazed at how faulty my memory can be.
Internet is both our friends. You’re right about that

Yes, Bouie, after being schooled by Joe Barry for much of the game, had a tremendous block - on an attempted dunk - that shut Purdue fans up like I had never seen before - it was unbelievable.

Am I allowed to pat myself on the back for getting that memory right?

New Mexico at the Pit was big

It was that game that convinced Boeheim to introduce the hand clap pending the first basket tradition - lifted from The Pit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom