What We Know, What We Don't Know, & What We Think We Know | Syracusefan.com

What We Know, What We Don't Know, & What We Think We Know

newmexicuse

All Conference
OK - so we are in the midst of what is a very mediocre season by Cuse standards - so here goes some thoughts:

1. We knowRak is the real deal & his improvement is far and away the biggest positive surprise of the season.

2. We know that Trevor has improved his all around game, but unfortunately, we still do not know from game to game how he will shoot his treys, and his trey shooting is still the centerpiece of his game.

3. We know that G has more upside than at least I had given him credit for coming into this season. Unfortunately, we still do not know if he can bring the new and improved G to the table every game. Overall, G's new upside is my second biggest surprise positive of the season.

4. We now know that Roberson is ahead of McC for this year at least. Beast is coming into his own & is gradually improving his consistency.

5. We know that McC is no way shape or form physically ready for this level never mind the next level. I expect his improvement is to be limited for the rest of this season, not because I am down on his skillset potential, but because he needs to work on his physique and get much stronger & that will not happen intra-season. He would be making a monstrous mistake to not return.

6. Kaleb - we know nothing - he flashes then he regresses. On what number will the dice stop rolling ? All in all - he seems to have improved his ball handling from early in the season. I like the form on his J, I think maybe he has to go from having the red light on to at least getting a yellow light in terms of taking his own shot. But the biggie remains for Jimmy - can he defend well enough to stay on the court ?

7. Ron - we now know that he brings energy to the court, especially on D, but we also know he can't get it done offensively in general. Maybe he will get hot now & then, but that is about it for this season. It is tough to have a guard playing big minutes that are as limited offensively as Ron appears to be.

8. BJ- we now know for certain this kid should have shirted last season & that he is still at least a year away.

9. We know that dino-coach is doing his best to test the bench & at least see what he has got. Unfortunattely, it isn't enough. unlike most prior seaosns, my only criticism is that I think Chino should get some backup minutes at the five when Rak has to sit. At least he has a big body and there is no problem with fouls to give as compared to McC backing upRak.

10. We know this team can ascend great heights for a half at a time. Unfortunately, we also know that this team can't sustain those heights for an entire game.

11. I think we know that this is likely to be a bubble team. We will need a couple of signature wins in the course of conference play to get in. If we do get in, the Sweet Sixteen would seem to be the absolute upside.

OK - so we are in the midst of what is a very mediocre season by Cuse standards - so here goes some thoughts:

6. Kaleb - we know nothing - he flashes then he regresses. On what number will the dice stop rolling ? All in all - he seems to have improved his ball handling from early in the season. I like the form on his J, I think maybe he has to go from having the red light on to at least getting a yellow light in terms of taking his own shot. But the biggie remains for Jimmy - can he defend well enough to stay on the court ?

Yes we do, we know that next year won't be the fourth year in a row that our starting point guard doesn't return.

1. We knowRak is the real deal & his improvement is far and away the biggest positive surprise of the season.

2. We know that Trevor has improved his all around game, but unfortunately, we still do not know from game to game how he will shoot his treys, and his trey shooting is still the centerpiece of his game.

3. We know that G has more upside than at least I had given him credit for coming into this season. Unfortunately, we still do not know if he can bring the new and improved G to the table every game. Overall, G's new upside is my second biggest surprise positive of the season.

4. We now know that Roberson is ahead of McC for this year at least. Beast is coming into his own & is gradually improving his consistency.

5. We know that McC is no way shape or form physically ready for this level never mind the next level. I expect his improvement is to be limited for the rest of this season, not because I am down on his skillset potential, but because he needs to work on his physique and get much stronger & that will not happen intra-season. He would be making a monstrous mistake to not return.

7. Ron - we now know that he brings energy to the court, especially on D, but we also know he can't get it done offensively in general. Maybe he will get hot now & then, but that is about it for this season. It is tough to have a guard playing big minutes that are as limited offensively as Ron appears to be.

8. BJ- we now know for certain this kid should have shirted last season & that he is still at least a year away.

9. We know that dino-coach is doing his best to test the bench & at least see what he has got. Unfortunattely, it isn't enough. unlike most prior seaosns, my only criticism is that I think Chino should get some backup minutes at the five when Rak has to sit. At least he has a big body and there is no problem with fouls to give as compared to McC backing upRak.

10. We know this team can ascend great heights for a half at a time. Unfortunately, we also know that this team can't sustain those heights for an entire game.

11. I think we know that this is likely to be a bubble team. We will need a couple of signature wins in the course of conference play to get in. If we do get in, the Sweet Sixteen would seem to be the absolute upside.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with #5 and Chris coming back. I have to think a lot of the NBA types that were supposedly going to draft him based on "potential" are a lot more concerned about his current performance than they were at the beginning of the year. Then again, if you consider potential in the literal sense of where he is as a player now vs. where he could be in the future...then he's got a lot more potential now than he did in October!

Last edited:

Very solid points. I can't disagree with any of that really. I will say that from watching a lotof college basketball the past few weeks, I feel like their are many mediocre teams this year. I do not feel we are that far off. If we can play solid D and knock down open shots like in the first half against Tech we might not be a bubble team based on the weakness of college basketball.

Thinking Kaleb will now have more of an Allen Griffin career than a MCW, Johnny Flynn or Tyler career. There is nothing wrong with that, he just does not appear to be that lightning in a bottle PG that took off from the moment they started. He can certainly still be a very effective program guy who steadily climbs up the career stats chart while growing into the leader of some successful teams over 4 years.

12.Last year, your criticism of Boeheim was relentless for not playing Buss, BJ and Roberson. We now know that he was right and you were wrong. They were not ready last year.

13. We also don't know, but can be pretty sure, that if Grant and Ennis had returned that they would be playing 40 minutes a game and Joseph, BJ and Buss would be rooted to the bench and your criticism of Boeheim for not playing them would be relentless. And he would still be right and you would still be wrong.

So, I don't get why you are calling him Dino?

He was right. You were wrong. So if that makes him a dino, what does it make you?

One last thing, The post is actually a good one. I just don't understand the need to take a gratuitous verbal shot.

Last edited:
popcorn Colbert.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom