What will this year's team look like? | Syracusefan.com

What will this year's team look like?

billsin01

All American
This is typically the time of year I start thinking about hoops in earnest -- particularly since today is the first day it feels a bit like Fall in MD. But this group feels nearly impossible to project, at least in my scenario where I don't have any sort of 'in' with the staff.

Now, the transfer portal and massive player movement every year naturally guarantees that there will be a fair collection of unknowns headed into most every season for the time being. But this almost feels like a second go-round of Red's first season.

Consider:

• Last year: Red wanted to play up-tempo on offense and pressure man on defense. It also became obvious given the personnel that the idea was to put some shooters (we thought Taylor was at least a solid shooter) on the floor with guys who could create off the dribble -- JJ, Judah and Q. This year: I have no idea what the system will be but it can't look like last year's on either end, right? Lampkin and McLeod aren't up-tempo guys and definitely pressure man defender types. Judah, Brown and Q are gone ... likely our best defensive play-makers (not that Q or Judah were super consistent on the defensive end) and those guys were three of our four best offensive play-makers as well (Starling was the fourth; obviously Bell put up numbers but largely as a standstill shooter, not as a creator). There's no way Red can bank on transition/drive-and-kick/individual creation offensively and I struggle understanding how we can play five players on five islands the way we played defense last year.

• Last year: We didn't know in the preseason but it became clear we had five guys who could play -- Judah, JJ, Q, Brown and Bell. So we really weren't able to see how Red planned to set a rotation -- no need when it's answered for you by only having 5 players, essentially. This year: In a perfect world there are maybe 12 guys who contribute. But even if Westry/McLeod are dealing with some injury issues and Moore/Majstorovic may not factor in; you're still talking about 8-ish players (JJ/Bell/Lampkin/Taylor/Carlos/Davis/Freeman/Cuffe) who figure to play some sort of role.

• Last year: There was almost no frontcourt to speak of when McLeod got injured. Even in the preseason, not much was expected of Hima/Carey/Patterson and Bell/Taylor aren't actual bigs. The backcourt was considered the strength with JJ/Judah/Q and the hope that Westry/Cuffe might chip in. This year: The roster is more balanced but in terms of options, but the strength is likely bigs with Lampkin and Freeman as shoe-in starters and key figures and likely significant contributions from Davis along with Bell obviously playing a bunch as a shooter/scorer. The backcourt, meanwhile, has Starling and Cuffe returning and three additions in Moore/Carlos/Taylor. But of the five guys, only Starling's minutes feel certain and even his role is a little fluid in terms of on-ball/off-ball.

• Last year: There wasn't much carryover from the previous season as Carey sat out, Bell and Taylor had struggled as freshman, Edwards, Girard and Torrence, had departed, Benny was a huge question mark and Hima hadn't played much. But you at least had an all-league type talent in Judah and a guy most of us thought would be a good anchor down low in Brown. This year: Similar in that there's not a ton of carryover, but with your best player, we don't know if he's our ball-handler or shooting guard (maybe both); will Cuffe factor in or get squeezed by Taylor/Carlos and, less likely, Moore; and can Bell be more than just a shooter? McLeod is another one that is more questions than answers at this point.
Anyway, it all just leads to a series of scenarios that could all happen -- some more likely than others -- but almost no confidence in predicting much of anything. For example -- they spent a bunch of dough on Lampkin and, it appears at least, kind of prioritized him over Brown (correct me if I'm wrong). So Lampkin adds some offensive skill, plenty of size and rebounding ... but can he guard in a pressure man situation? Can McLeod play at all on the perimeter? Is he even healthy? What happens if Freeman and Davis are two of our best 4 or 5 players? Could Majstorovic surprise and become a factor? Is a healthier, in-shape cuffe more of a factor?

The list goes on. I just am so fascinated to see how all of this plays out ... and I have zero clue where I actually land other than simply thinking this team will look almost nothing like last year's team.

This is typically the time of year I start thinking about hoops in earnest -- particularly since today is the first day it feels a bit like Fall in MD. But this group feels nearly impossible to project, at least in my scenario where I don't have any sort of 'in' with the staff.

Now, the transfer portal and massive player movement every year naturally guarantees that there will be a fair collection of unknowns headed into most every season for the time being. But this almost feels like a second go-round of Red's first season.

Consider:

• Last year: Red wanted to play up-tempo on offense and pressure man on defense. It also became obvious given the personnel that the idea was to put some shooters (we thought Taylor was at least a solid shooter) on the floor with guys who could create off the dribble -- JJ, Judah and Q. This year: I have no idea what the system will be but it can't look like last year's on either end, right? Lampkin and McLeod aren't up-tempo guys and definitely pressure man defender types. Judah, Brown and Q are gone ... likely our best defensive play-makers (not that Q or Judah were super consistent on the defensive end) and those guys were three of our four best offensive play-makers as well (Starling was the fourth; obviously Bell put up numbers but largely as a standstill shooter, not as a creator). There's no way Red can bank on transition/drive-and-kick/individual creation offensively and I struggle understanding how we can play five players on five islands the way we played defense last year.

• Last year: We didn't know in the preseason but it became clear we had five guys who could play -- Judah, JJ, Q, Brown and Bell. So we really weren't able to see how Red planned to set a rotation -- no need when it's answered for you by only having 5 players, essentially. This year: In a perfect world there are maybe 12 guys who contribute. But even if Westry/McLeod are dealing with some injury issues and Moore/Majstorovic may not factor in; you're still talking about 8-ish players (JJ/Bell/Lampkin/Taylor/Carlos/Davis/Freeman/Cuffe) who figure to play some sort of role.

• Last year: There was almost no frontcourt to speak of when McLeod got injured. Even in the preseason, not much was expected of Hima/Carey/Patterson and Bell/Taylor aren't actual bigs. The backcourt was considered the strength with JJ/Judah/Q and the hope that Westry/Cuffe might chip in. This year: The roster is more balanced but in terms of options, but the strength is likely bigs with Lampkin and Freeman as shoe-in starters and key figures and likely significant contributions from Davis along with Bell obviously playing a bunch as a shooter/scorer. The backcourt, meanwhile, has Starling and Cuffe returning and three additions in Moore/Carlos/Taylor. But of the five guys, only Starling's minutes feel certain and even his role is a little fluid in terms of on-ball/off-ball.

• Last year: There wasn't much carryover from the previous season as Carey sat out, Bell and Taylor had struggled as freshman, Edwards, Girard and Torrence, had departed, Benny was a huge question mark and Hima hadn't played much. But you at least had an all-league type talent in Judah and a guy most of us thought would be a good anchor down low in Brown. This year: Similar in that there's not a ton of carryover, but with your best player, we don't know if he's our ball-handler or shooting guard (maybe both); will Cuffe factor in or get squeezed by Taylor/Carlos and, less likely, Moore; and can Bell be more than just a shooter? McLeod is another one that is more questions than answers at this point.
Anyway, it all just leads to a series of scenarios that could all happen -- some more likely than others -- but almost no confidence in predicting much of anything. For example -- they spent a bunch of dough on Lampkin and, it appears at least, kind of prioritized him over Brown (correct me if I'm wrong). So Lampkin adds some offensive skill, plenty of size and rebounding ... but can he guard in a pressure man situation? Can McLeod play at all on the perimeter? Is he even healthy? What happens if Freeman and Davis are two of our best 4 or 5 players? Could Majstorovic surprise and become a factor? Is a healthier, in-shape cuffe more of a factor?

The list goes on. I just am so fascinated to see how all of this plays out ... and I have zero clue where I actually land other than simply thinking this team will look almost nothing like last year's team.
Short answer: 2024-25 Men's Basketball Roster - Syracuse University Athletics

I like the fact that the team is experinced and older. Plus, our guys have thier man muscles. Hopefully, they are all mature enough to allow big Donny to be the guy, and play off of that.

Consider:

Great post.

It's funny, the other day I realized that I've spent almost no time paying attention to SU hoops for most of the past 6 months. So I pulled up the roster and... I was completely lost.

I have zero clue how all these pieces fit together, or if this has the makings of a tourney team or a bottom-half of the conference team.

Glad I'm not alone in being so confused.

Welcome to the new normal where there is very little continuity from the previous year. I’m in “wait and see” mode.

I hope Starling makes a nice jump in development to really lead this team. Maybe even becomes a star.

Our frontline of Bell, Freeman, Lampkin looks promising on paper.

No clue what to expect from the Hofstra kid, Taylor, Westry, or Petar. I stopped putting much weight in highlight tapes. Maybe Cuffe surprises, but for now, I don’t see him playing more than a few minutes a game. McLeod could be an X factor is he’s at full health.

I’m excited to see the team in action though. I’d like to think since there are more experienced players that make up the team, they’ll be able to gel quicker.

Great post.

It's funny, the other day I realized that I've spent almost no time paying attention to SU hoops for most of the past 6 months. So I pulled up the roster and... I was completely lost.

I have zero clue how all these pieces fit together, or if this has the makings of a tourney team or a bottom-half of the conference team.

Glad I'm not alone in being so confused.
It's tough not having a connection with the basketball team, every year we saw the same 6 or 7 guys playing 35+ a game for years, now we get guys that play a year or two. I'd be shocked if I remember half the guys on this roster in 5 years, probably less. This is getting kinda sad for me.

It's tough not having a connection with the basketball team, every year we saw the same 6 or 7 guys playing 35+ a game for years, now we get guys that play a year or two. I'd be shocked if I remember half the guys on this roster in 5 years, probably less. This is getting kinda sad for me.
Admittedly I don't follow recruiting much, so I'm perpetually ignorant about the guys we're bringing in until the school year begins.

However, the compounding factor this season is that we don't seem to have brought in many big name/big school guys via the portal either. I heard all about Lampkin. Then I was surprised to see that we brought in guys from Hofstra, Delaware and Georgia State too. Not that I'm saying they'll be bad, they just weren't names or programs that'd get me excited.

Football was the opposite this past offseason. Guys from Ohio State, Texas A&M, Georgia etc. Hard not to get interested when that happens.

I think this team is likely to play pretty fast. It seemed obvious that Red wanted to play fast last year and Starling was better playing fast. We slowed things down mostly because Mintz just couldn't play fast, and it was a disaster when he tried.

You don't need 5 thoroughbreds to play fast. UNC played very fast last year despite Bacot being their best player and being a half court guy. '10 and '12 were two of our most successful years in transition despite Onuaku and Melo being our centers.

Bell and Freeman will have the tools to be finishers in transition, and Carlos and Starling are both veteran guards who can play fast. If Red really wanted to go all in on transition points that might be Petar's path to PT at the 5, but I'd say that's unlikely. Transition success is more about scoring when the chances arise naturally, and having a go to guy you can get the ball to in space, than it is about trying to force easy baskets when the opportunity just isn't there.

This is where I struggle and where I think it’s funny where the programs spending the most to get players off other teams rosters to hit the portal are puffing their chests and acting like it’s the same old world.

For that reason I hope Bell has a great year and JJ too along with the frosh. Kids that chose us out of the gate or stayed after choosing us in year 2 etc. That’s not to crap on the one year grad txfr guys at all but it feels at least a little more like an SU program if the kids have more skin in the game.

There are exceptions too.. if the new kids bleed orange like Swider did for a year or in the way we see McCord at QB so far that helps too. None of it will ever feel the same unfortunately.

Admittedly I don't follow recruiting much, so I'm perpetually ignorant about the guys we're bringing in until the school year begins.

However, the compounding factor this season is that we don't seem to have brought in many big name/big school guys via the portal either. I heard all about Lampkin. Then I was surprised to see that we brought in guys from Hofstra, Delaware and Georgia State too. Not that I'm saying they'll be bad, they just weren't names or programs that'd get me excited.

Football was the opposite this past offseason. Guys from Ohio State, Texas A&M, Georgia etc. Hard not to get interested when that happens.
Oh, but I think the transfer dynamics in college football and college hoops are polar opposites.

In hoops, a lot of the transfers want to go up a level because that's the best path to better NIL. In that set up, a lot of the movement you see will be from guys that have proven their game at a certain point at a lower level/lower NIL essentially looking for a "call up" to the big time.

In football, a lot of the transfers want to get more likely opportunities to play and be featured. In that scenario, you'll see a lot of highly ranked guys go to factories, realize they're stuck behind dudes, and then look for a better opportunity to see the field.

I think the differences in NBA and NFL draft eligibility also plays an interesting factor in the portal dynamic too.

Too many substitutions too many players for not enough minutes no true PG. Decent rebounding team for once.

I liked the team more early in the offseason before we kept adding.

Oh, but I think the transfer dynamics in college football and college hoops are polar opposites.

In hoops, a lot of the transfers want to go up a level because that's the best path to better NIL. In that set up, a lot of the movement you see will be from guys that have proven their game at a certain point at a lower level/lower NIL essentially looking for a "call up" to the big time.

In football, a lot of the transfers want to get more likely opportunities to play and be featured. In that scenario, you'll see a lot of highly ranked guys go to factories, realize they're stuck behind dudes, and then look for a better opportunity to see the field.

I think the differences in NBA and NFL draft eligibility also plays an interesting factor in the portal dynamic too.
I get it. Just makes for a difference in excitement from portal moves is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom