What's the best guess for limited fans? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What's the best guess for limited fans?

There are a decent # of older season ticket holders. If the virus situation is not improved the doling out of seats may take care of itself.

Agree they probably should have an opt out option for those folks and anyone the uncomfortable attending a game.

Even if capacity is limited to 12.5K, I expect a significant number of season ticket holders, especially the seniors, will decide to take SU's offer of passing on getting their season tickets for this season, with the hopes of returning next season.

I think people are dramatically over estimating the willingness of fans to attend games in person. If it turns out 12.5K is the number, I think it will be enough to allow everyone who is willing to buy a ticket to attend.

Maybe we should have a poll. I would be very interested to see how many people on this board, who are all die hards, are definitely planning on attending all home games.

It would be interesting for sure. I'm in my 30's and already renewed my seasons. I'm not to keen on going as my wife is due in October. Don't want to take a chance on bringing something home to my pregnant wife or newborn.

since they have not even asked any STH about how they might be using the tickets in group settings how did they come up with any number at all? Did they just guess? did they run some programming against it? did the just sit random people 2 seats apart all over ?

I can’t speak about the dome’s COVID seating policy, but I am aware of how they came by there seating policy at the landmark theatre.

They worked with one of the largest venue seating companies who are considered as an industry leader in how venues can reopen and follow social distancing requirements. Using an enormous amount of data of the landmark (seat size, aisle size, traffic flow, rest room location, entrance size, etc) that they ran thru a number of testing protocols they came up with a number of around 800, roughly 27% of their normal capacity.

I would be truly surprised if SU isn’t using every available professional opinion to come to their seating number. The liability risk is too large for any sensible organization to ignore.

Good article on what the Miami Hurricanes plan may be https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article243166226.html

Pretty much season may/could start with an empty stadium and then let limited fans in over time. And with limited fans they may go this way on giving out tickets (or at least how i understood the article)
-Student Body gets a chunk of tickets
-Family/Friends of players get a chunk of tickets
-Possible Recruits and their families get a chunk of tickets
-??? Figure the rest out depending on how many fans they want in the stadium

I think government agencies will look at Covid-19 infection rates in and around cities where the protests and worst yet the looting and violence has happened. If it isn't as bad as feared it should be time to relax things.

I'd wait until July 1st and then commit with a plan.

I can’t speak about the dome’s COVID seating policy, but I am aware of how they came by there seating policy at the landmark theatre.

They worked with one of the largest venue seating companies who are considered as an industry leader in how venues can reopen and follow social distancing requirements. Using an enormous amount of data of the landmark (seat size, aisle size, traffic flow, rest room location, entrance size, etc) that they ran thru a number of testing protocols they came up with a number of around 800, roughly 27% of their normal capacity.

I would be truly surprised if SU isn’t using every available professional opinion to come to their seating number. The liability risk is too large for any sensible organization to ignore.
Interesting... I'm an optimist but I'm not stupid to realize the Dome is indoors.

Iowa State is going with slightly over 50%

I have instinctively thought 25% is worst case.

Is Landmark around 2500 seats?

I agree and many of those same variables are completely different in the Dome.. if 27% works for the landmark i would think it would be higher in the dome with dozens of entrances and large concourses and bathrooms..

Also add in i doubt you have multiple groups of 10-20 tickets like you do fball groups, probably many more 2-4 type groups.

There are a decent # of older season ticket holders. If the virus situation is not improved the doling out of seats may take care of itself.
Great! So Now in addition to getting wanded at the gate, I have to show them my AARP card?

Totally agree. Though I think a significant number of non senior season ticket holders will also take the option to skip this year.

I am not encouraging people to do this. I hope we have big, loud crowds all season long.

Everyone has to do what makes sense for them. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who decides to skip this year. I am just relating what I am hearing from friends and acquaintances. Both in CNY and in other areas. Regarding going to games or even going to places like dine in restaurants. I think a lot of people are really scared and will be for a while.

Great! So Now in addition to getting wanded at the gate, I have to show them my AARP card?
The ticket people will be able to tell from your coat.

Sis. Boom. Bah.

racoon.jpg

Last edited:
The situation is so fluid that I can’t imagine a plan made on July 1 would be the best plan to use come September 19. It’s going to be interesting to see how attendance is handled throughout the country.

It's just a shame we won't have a sold out Dome for Colgate... If any recruits are reading this right now, I want to ensure you that it's sold out 50k+ EVERY home game... Any lack of crowd this season, is ONLY because COVID...

Thanks for sharing. The concept of liability here is interesting. Would be interested in hearing a thought or two from our board attorneys on actually how much exposure there is for Syracuse. With as saturated as the public is on the virus, protection and behavior, I would think as long as Syracuse makes commercial reasonable efforts to maintain the Federal and State guidelines that the people going to the event take on the assumption of risk.

On a personal level, being that I have asthma, I probably will be skipping my annual 1-2 trips up. I'd probably be inclined to chance it in an outdoor stadium if the cases were low enough but indoors feels like a problem for me

On a personal level, being that I have asthma, I probably will be skipping my annual 1-2 trips up. I'd probably be inclined to chance it in an outdoor stadium if the cases were low enough but indoors feels like a problem for me
I'd wait...there is some evidence (not totally confirmed) this virus is getting weaker. We can only hope.

Read an interesting article on COVID. The experts were expecting people with asthma were going to be hit particularly hard but that has not proven to be the case. Smokers on the other hand are really faring poorly. The thought is the steroids in the inhalers many with asthma use are providing unexpected protection.

So you have that going for you...

Read an interesting article on COVID. The experts were expecting people with asthma were going to be hit particularly hard but that has not proven to be the case. Smokers on the other hand are really faring poorly. The thought is the steroids in the inhalers many with asthma use are providing unexpected protection.

So you have that going for you...

Yeah it definitely seems like asthmatics arent getting hit quite as hard. Hoping it bears out. I'm hopeful that the fall wont be nearly as bad as some people feared

SU is in a unique situation and could be able to set up seating exactly how they want since the benches are already removed. Could potentially just install benches in a staggered manner to help with the staggering of fans in the stands.

I agree and many of those same variables are completely different in the Dome.. if 27% works for the landmark i would think it would be higher in the dome with dozens of entrances and large concourses and bathrooms..

Also add in i doubt you have multiple groups of 10-20 tickets like you do fball groups, probably many more 2-4 type groups.

The geometry doesn’t necessarily work out that larger venues can hold a higher percentage of capacity. It’s all about social distancing requirements, so no seats can be sold within 6’ of you. Thats four seats in your row and two rows between you and the next person. The 12,000 number that someone threw out is probably good as a high end number. The 8750 number that a person posted they heard as a target number is more realistic.

Another issue is how many seats can you sell together. If someone has a block of 8 seats, how do you prevent them selling them on StubHub? There may be seats removed to prevent people from “ upgrading” themselves into an open space and a limit to how many seats you can get together. For concert venues I’ve been hearing that initial seating will be in groups of two because of how hard it would be to adjust, track and coordinate sales from concert to concert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom