What's with Md's playing time? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What's with Md's playing time?

I agree about his talent and think he will have a great career at SU. I was just trying to read the tea leaves for this season, and just don't anticipate there being many minutes available for him once we get to the meat of the schedule, assuming everyone remains healthy.
i think this is where something akin to nepotism surfaces . . . buddy's presence (and talent) on a deep team finally causes jb to really play 9 guys meaningful minutes in real games. even when the squad is fully healthy, i can see buddy getting a consistent 7-12 minutes in nearly every game

i think this is where something akin to nepotism surfaces . . . buddy's presence (and talent) on a deep team finally causes jb to really play 9 guys meaningful minutes in real games. even when the squad is fully healthy, i can see buddy getting a consistent 7-12 minutes in nearly every game
I just don't see where those minutes would come from. I see those kind of minutes going to Carey, with the rest of the backcourt minutes going to Battle and Howard by virtue of their experience and superior defensive ability at the top of the zone. I think Buddy and Washington will be situational pieces this season.

I see Buddy’s talent and IQ right away. What I liked early on in the game was that he was trying to drive on the Morehead defender almost immediately. Not retreat, or go east-west as so many of our guards typically do against these types of opponents/defenders. I think he’ll play in certain situations. Really, my only worry with him is lateral foot speed defensively. Like Marek, get him in there to shred a zone especially.

It's only 2 games and we're essentially down 2.5 guards to injury. My guess is Buddy goes to 8/9th man once those guys are healthy. Still not sure what your point is; you keep referencing historical precedent and surprise re: the long leash on Buddy, but when have we ever had 3 PG's injured like this? Are you suggesting that after game 1's performance, Buddy should have been benched to let Hughes play the 2 and Marek the 3? I suppose I could see that argument, however I'm sure Buddy has been shooting better in practice than these 2 games, thus earning the PT while also having a strong A/TO ratio in practice & games.

I always liked your posts, Mr. M.

I just don't see where those minutes would come from. I see those kind of minutes going to Carey, with the rest of the backcourt minutes going to Battle and Howard by virtue of their experience and superior defensive ability at the top of the zone. I think Buddy and Washington will be situational pieces this season.
in another year with a typical roster, i'd agree
but buddy is a free radical whose presence could alter his dad's coaching dna

If it was me, I would have started Carey over buddy both games. Nothing against buddy but even if frank is available Thursday, he’s not going to be close to 100%. He only started practicing Friday and that was just some of the drills. I would have force fed Carey as many pg minutes as possible.

i think buddy is a lot more talented than he has shown so far, and that talent will show itself many times this season

Buddy showed quite a lot of talent in the exhibitions. He played with tremendous poise and showed great shooting touch and footwork. You'll recall that I actually posted exactly that after the exhibitions. The thing that has been different in the 2 regular season games is that the athleticism of the opponents is noticeably better, and Buddy has had some troubles adjusting to the speed of the game. I've also noted in my original post in this thread that I think Buddy is going to be fine and he'll a solid contributor here.

If it was me, I would have started Carey over buddy both games. Nothing against buddy but even if frank is available Thursday, he’s not going to be close to 100%. He only started practicing Friday and that was just some of the drills. I would have force fed Carey as many pg minutes as possible.

I didn't mind working Carey up to speed off the bench vs EW but I totally agree that I would have started him against Morehead and said so in the game thread or one of the threads.

I'm not sure that JAB had a leash long enough to play Carey more minutes last game.

UConn game should have Jalen at point and Tyus at sg. Period. Jslens got to earn his bones and bows as good s time as any.

moqui if you look at above mpg link rotation is a seldom used concept here.
three of the top five players in the NCAA ? that's the antithesis of rotation.
This isn’t true. This is called using a small sample size. You’re using one year to extrapolate about 43 years. Yes we haven’t had great depth lately. But there are many years when JB plays 8 guys regular rotation minutes.

The preseason portion of the schedule is good for experimentation.

When the games "count" more -- like the ones we have coming up -- JB tends to go with a rotation of guys he knows he can trust. MD is one of those guys, so i'd expect his PT to ratchet up.

Then, JB will go back to playing with lineups and getting guys some developmental PT against the likes of the Colgates and Cornells of the world, where he can do so without the risk of losing.

and lately jb has multiple dudes playing 35-37 plus. (flynn,cooney.lydon, white, silent g to name a few)
putting 3 in the 5 five is an outlier.as i said unprecedented.but putting multiple players in the top 100 especially if you look at conference games is not. we dominate the stats there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom