What's with Md's playing time? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What's with Md's playing time?

Marek earned a starting spot and heavy minutes. They should be his to lose. This doesn’t feel right.

Every season and team is different. Hughes had 21 points and 8 rebounds last night. Has Marek ever had 21 and 8? I don’t recall him producing like that. He’s only a soph. He’ll be a contributor off the bench this year and likely start next year if Brissett moves on to the NBA.

Every season and team is different. Hughes had 21 points and 8 rebounds last night. Has Marek ever had 21 and 8? I don’t recall him producing like that. He’s only a soph. He’ll be a contributor off the bench this year and likely start next year if Brissett moves on to the NBA.
You’re right and I don’t disagree with your assessment but I really like Marek and feel badly for him. Marek has to ease his way into play but Hughes gets it on immediately. Hughes reminds me of a Dion type 6th man. Mareks a glue guy.

You’re right and I don’t disagree with your assessment but I really like Marek and feel badly for him. Marek has to ease his way into play but Hughes gets it on immediately. Hughes reminds me of a Dion type 6th man. Mareks a glue guy.

If PC were a reliable offensive threat than I think you could make an argument for giving MD starters minutes. But I don’t think we can have the success we are all hoping for with PC and MD getting starters minutes, it just puts our offense at too great a disadvantage.

Unbelievable.
Yes, you give your 4th guard time at guard, and a prime new forward time at forward, early in the season. Especially when it is a temporary guard situation.
I’m glad JB didn’t panic as much as some on here

Where was I showing any panic?

I was just making an observation.

Not only that, I made the disclaimer that we are shorthanded at guard.

Please go back and show me the last time Boeheim played a FR shooting guard 52 minutes over two games when said guard went a combined 2-18 from the field and 1-10 from 3.

Please go back and show me the last time Boeheim played a FR shooting guard 52 minutes over two games when said guard went a combined 2-18 from the field and 1-10 from 3.

When the only other available guard is 2-8 with 6 turnovers and coming off an injury, it makes more sense.

Buddy is at least not turning it over. And he’s healthy and been practicing.

Jalen just got back and is coughing it up left and right. There’s nobody else.

I can't imagine Boeheim has ever played a freshman guard who was shooting 11.1% from the field and 10% from three point range for 52 total minutes in his first 2 games. EVER. I understand that we are shorthanded at guard right now but does anyone really think JB would have that kind of patience with any other guard he's ever brought in?

Malachi Richardson as a frosh.

33.6 mins per game vs Wisky, Hoyas and the Johnnies. All Ls, btw.

8-39 from the field and a staggering 1-23 from 3.

He doesn’t much resemble Juli so he must have been from JB’s first marriage.

Patience is what happens when your other options are freshman Frank Howard and Kaleb Joseph.

Thing is...nobody knew he would go 2-18/1-10 from 3 in 52 minutes over 2 games, until he went 2-18/1-10 from 3 in 52 minutes over 2 games.

If Boeheim deserves criticism for heavy Buddy play, it might be due more to insufficient defense. Coach generally doesn't punish/correct for short-term poor shooting, especially early on.

Last edited:
When the only other available guard is 2-8 with 6 turnovers and coming off an injury, it makes more sense.

Buddy is at least not turning it over. And he’s healthy and been practicing.

Jalen just got back and is coughing it up left and right. There’s nobody else.
Not only is he not turning it over, he's leading the team in assists.

I'll just put that out there to illustrate the folly of people losing their minds over statistics computed from small sample sizes for a team playing with missing parts.

Not only is he not turning it over, he's leading the team in assists.

I'll just put that out there to illustrate the folly of people losing their minds over statistics computed from small sample sizes for a team playing with missing parts.
This is just posters using small sample size stats to justify their Daddyball posts.

I thought the Bazley threads were the most disgusting things I would ever read on this board.

I was wrong.

Malachi Richardson as a frosh.

33.6 mins per game vs Wisky, Hoyas and the Johnnies. All Ls, btw.

8-39 from the field and a staggering 1-23 from 3.

He doesn’t much resemble Juli so he must have been from JB’s first marriage.

Patience is what happens when your other options are freshman Frank Howard and Kaleb Joseph.

Malachi started his freshman year by scoring in double digits the first six games, two of them against ranked times, before the slump you referenced. He is not actually an answer to the question that mason asked.

More generally, I think there’s a little straw manning going on, maybe on both sides. No one is trying to run Buddy Boeheim out of town. Every post I have seen has expressed confidence that he is going to be a good player for Syracuse; I think he might be a great one. But folks are expressing smidgens of concern about how things have played out so far and might play out in the future. Personally, I thought this was a final four caliber team coming into the season. I still think that, but the early showings have been a little underwhelming, and one of - and note that I said “one of”, not the only - diagnosable problems is that we’re playing a so far not terribly effective freshman guard heavy minutes.

Again, I am really high on buddy’s long term future. I also think that Howard coming back probably solves these problems, allows boeheim to settle into a limited but still useful role, and when boeheim has a 4-6 from three night in an acc game someone will post what an idiot I am. That’s all great!

Malachi started his freshman year by scoring in double digits the first six games, two of them against ranked times, before the slump you referenced. He is not actually an answer to the question that mason asked.

More generally, I think there’s a little straw manning going on, maybe on both sides. No one is trying to run Buddy Boeheim out of town. Every post I have seen has expressed confidence that he is going to be a good player for Syracuse; I think he might be a great one. But folks are expressing smidgens of concern about how things have played out so far and might play out in the future. Personally, I thought this was a final four caliber team coming into the season. I still think that, but the early showings have been a little underwhelming, and one of - and note that I said “one of”, not the only - diagnosable problems is that we’re playing a so far not terribly effective freshman guard heavy minutes.

Again, I am really high on buddy’s long term future. I also think that Howard coming back probably solves these problems, allows boeheim to settle into a limited but still useful role, and when boeheim has a 4-6 from three night in an acc game someone will post what an idiot I am. That’s all great!

Yes, it does.

The real point of his post was that Boeheim would not have had that level of patience for that type of abysmal shooting performance with any other freshman shooting guard.

You obviously did not see the thread started by Hakattack before it was deleted.

I've found that every season comes with its own abominable narratives.
This is worse.

Accusing Boeheim of nepotism goes well beyond any criticism of his coaching.

It impugns his credibility and character as it says he is putting family before team.

This is worse.

It impugns his credibility and character as it says he is putting family before team.
It's bad for sure, but numerous SU players and coaches have been targeted with some pretty outrageous and vile nonsense through the years. From all I know about JB from observing his entire head coaching career, he would be about the last person I'd expect to put family before team.

Yes, it does.

The real point of his post was that Boeheim would not have had that level of patience for that type of abysmal shooting performance with any other freshman shooting guard.

You obviously did not see the thread started by Hakattack before it was deleted.

I like Syracuse basketball, like discussing it, and have always enjoyed your posts and those of many others who apparently disagree with me on this (to the extent i am actually taking a position). I’m not interested in a fight about nepotism or coaching integrity or whatever. Mostly I just think the team would probably be better with a little more dolezaj and a little less buddy, recognizing neither of them were particularly good yesterday.

I like Syracuse basketball, like discussing it, and have always enjoyed your posts and those of many others who apparently disagree with me on this (to the extent i am actually taking a position). I’m not interested in a fight about nepotism or coaching integrity or whatever. Mostly I just think the team would probably be better with a little more dolezaj and a little less buddy, recognizing neither of them were particularly good yesterday.
To be crystal clear, in no way am i saying that you are accusing Boeheim of nepotism.

However, there have been far too many posts today, especillay in the thread that was deleted, that either insinuated, or outright accused Boeheim, of a lack of objectivity with regard to Buddy’s playing time.

hope it doesn't surprise you that a sizable group on here would do this at the first chance they had
Actually, it does.

It is one thing to question a player’s or coach’s ability.

It is one thing to question their decision-making.

It is one thing to criticize their behavior.

But questioning someone’s honesty and integrity takes it to a whole different level.

Actually, it does.

It is one thing to question a player’s or coach’s ability.

It is one thing to question their decision-making.

It is one thing to criticize their behavior.

But questioning someone’s honesty and integrity takes it to a whole different level.
Well, with all due respect then, you must not have been paying attention around here the past xx years

This is worse.

I've not accused him of nepotism. I've simply pointed out that he hasn't had this sort of patience with a freshman guard shooting this poorly in his first 2 games before. JB knows better than anyone what Buddy is and is not capable of doing on the court and I fully expect that he will coach accordingly throughout the season.

To be crystal clear, in no way am i saying that you are accusing Boeheim of nepotism.

However, there have been far too many posts today, especillay in the thread that was deleted, that either insinuated, or outright accused Boeheim, of a lack of objectivity with regard to Buddy’s playing time.

It seems to me that if buddy boeheim were buddy smith, and a borderline top150 recruit who started over a returning starter on a sweet 16 team and then went 1-a lot in the first two games while the team struggled a bit, many of us would be saying “I hope we move on from this buddy smith experiment and get dolezaj back in there”.

I’ve almost guaranteed that boeheim is going to hit six three pointers against uconn, so I suppose it’s time to call it a night on this point.

without looking, i'll guess mcnamara.

The question was in the player's first two games (yes I was being lazy and didn't specify that in my followup post but if you go back and look at my first post in this thread you'll see it). McNamara had 14 against Memphis at MSG in his first game, including a stretch of back-to-back-to-back threes that gave SU a short lived lead (that was the game when Carmelo Anthony had 21 in the first half).

I've not accused him of nepotism. I've simply pointed out that he hasn't had this sort of patience with a freshman guard shooting this poorly in his first 2 games before. JB knows better than anyone what Buddy is and is not capable of doing on the court and I fully expect that he will coach accordingly throughout the season.
Fair enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom