What's with Md's playing time? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What's with Md's playing time?

Yes, it does.

The real point of his post was that Boeheim would not have had that level of patience for that type of abysmal shooting performance with any other freshman shooting guard.

You obviously did not see the thread started by Hakattack before it was deleted.

I deleted it because I didn't feel like listening to everyone's crying and moaning about how we can't be concerned that JB will show favoritism to his SON. Sorry, but that's actually a reasonable concern.

Well, with all due respect then, you must not have been paying attention around here the past xx years
The worst posts I’ve seen around here are posters wanting guys who leave early, or never come, to fail.

Bazley was the worst. 17 year old kid, influenced by family and handlers, changes his mind and posters were openly rooting for him to fail.

I've not accused him of nepotism. I've simply pointed out that he hasn't had this sort of patience with a freshman guard shooting this poorly in his first 2 games before. JB knows better than anyone what Buddy is and is not capable of doing on the court and I fully expect that he will coach accordingly throughout the season.

Measured response, that's your typical post, Mase. Nicely done. That's probably where I SHOULD be, but I can't bring myself to get there yet.

And in all of this, I really WANT BB to be successful. It would make quite a story if the son is able to help bring his dad title #2. That's not lost on me. I just have my concerns about JB being impartial when he'll need to be.

I deleted it because I didn't feel like listening to everyone's crying and moaning about how we can't be concerned that JB will show favoritism to his SON. Sorry, but that's actually a reasonable concern.

I only responded the way I did because it sounds like you have no knowledge of his game besides he’s JB’s son.

I only responded the way I did because it sounds like you have no knowledge of his game besides he’s JB’s son.

I honestly don’t. I knew he was a pretty decent local kid, but could not tell you if he’d actually earned his spot or not. I have no issues in saying that I haven’t followed his recruitment as much as other guys.

I honestly don’t. I knew he was a pretty decent local kid, but could not tell you if he’d actually earned his spot or not. I have no issues in saying that I haven’t followed his recruitment as much as other guys.

I kind of gathered that by your posts. He played in the NEPSAC and EYBL and lead both those leagues in three point shooting where a lot of great college players come from. He shot better than Girard for the City Rocks..

I guess I don’t get the concern. If Frank wasn’t hurt and Buddy was playing a lot I’d get it. But Frank isn’t healthy and Carey looked bad last night..

I kind of gathered that by your posts. He played in the NEPSAC and EYBL and lead both those leagues in three point shooting where a lot of great college players come from. He shot better than Girard for the City Rocks..

I guess I don’t get the concern. If Frank wasn’t hurt and Buddy was playing a lot I’d get it. But Frank isn’t healthy and Carey looked bad last night..

I don't understand this fire drill either. We're two games in and missing a key guard. There are no patterns to analyze at this point.

if jb was motivated by showing favoritism to his offspring, then jimmy would be starting at forward, not hughes

Need Hughes skillset with Frankie out Hughes can handle the ball a little bit Marek is catch and pass/shoot only.

I don't think Hughes is ahead of Marek for good its just right now. Marek and Oshae play the same position which obviously doesn't help Marek.

Right now its Buddy and Jalen who will lose minutes to Frankie. Could change as the season goes on. What happens vs yukon and the Ducks will carry more weight than Morehead and EWU.

JB has 40 plus year of experience showing he will play the guys he needs to play to win, often much to the chagrin of the board. He has 2 games of experience of playing Buddy in a short-handed rotation. I think we can wait before turning this into a Craig-Cullen Neal situation.

JB has 40 plus year of experience showing he will play the guys he needs to play to win, often much to the chagrin of the board. He has 2 games of experience of playing Buddy in a short-handed rotation. I think we can wait before turning this into a Craig-Cullen Neal situation.
I will go on record predicting that if this team is fully healthy, Buddy will have more DNPs than made threes in ACC play.

Need Hughes skillset with Frankie out Hughes can handle the ball a little bit Marek is catch and pass/shoot only.

I don't think Hughes is ahead of Marek for good its just right now. Marek and Oshae play the same position which obviously doesn't help ?....
Hughes is the better all-around forward - Marek knows that as much as we do. Marek's height which might be a plus against some opponents.

I will go on record predicting that if this team is fully healthy, Buddy will have more DNPs than made threes in ACC play.

I'll have to think about that one. I think Buddy will get spot minutes in most games.

Hughes is the better all-around forward - Marek knows that as much as we do. Marek's height which might be a plus against some opponents.

Hughes is a better scorer and has a better handle. Whether he is a better forward all-around is debatable. Marek is a better defender in the zone at this point, better rebounder, and may be a better passer. We have three excellent forwards in the rotation.

Last edited:
Hughes is a better scorer and has a better handle. Whether he is a better forward all-around is debatable. Marek is a better defender in the zone at this point, better rebounder, and may be a better passer. We have three excellent forwards in the rotation.

“May be a better passer”? From what I’ve seen, he’s hands down the best passer on the team and his skill at that reminds me of Leo Rautins.

Tell em, MSOrange.

There aren’t many sure things in life. I’m certain the sun will come up tomorrow.

And after watching JB for decades, I am absolutely sure he will play the guys that he thinks will give us the best chance to win.

I think some on here are projecting what they might do in this situation. Or trying to add more “soap opera” to this thing.

JB is 99% competitive and 1% sentiment.

Obviously Brissett is excellent. Hughes brings a combination of skills(ball-handling, shooting, driving), and Dolezaj is useful (not excellent yet). It is a good rotation.

“May be a better passer”? From what I’ve seen, he’s hands down the best passer on the team and his skill at that reminds me of Leo Rautins.

I agree. But I haven't seen enough of Hughes to make a fair judgement on his passing ability.

Edit: Good call on Rautins.

I agree with this. Buddy will be the 8th or 9th guy once Frank it back. MD will our 6th man.

my starting 5 from what i've seen so far (and without Frank):
PG: battle
SG: Hughes
f: Brissett
f: Marek
C: Chukwu/sidibe (would personally start Sidibe but he has been so foul-prone putting it as a center by committee)

with battle and howard healthy, they are going to get the bulk of guard minutes, which would leave hughes as the odd man out - no bueno - so he's playing as small forward instead of 2 guard. if frank is coming back no need to switch hughes back to guard temporarily.

But i agree that MD should be getting healthy minutes based on his play so far relative to the rest of the team...hopefully he handles it well if it continues b/c he will be a key at some point in the season, for sure.

Dolezaj in the starting lineup and this team still would have a hard time breaking 60 pts, IMO. Again, this was one of the worst offenses in the P5 easily last season. With Frank too. The additions are nice pieces but we’re not putting All-American additions out there. It simply makes it more of a level playing field offensively for us.

When the only other available guard is 2-8 with 6 turnovers and coming off an injury, it makes more sense.

Buddy is at least not turning it over. And he’s healthy and been practicing.

Jalen just got back and is coughing it up left and right. There’s nobody else.
I like Syracuse basketball, like discussing it, and have always enjoyed your posts and those of many others who apparently disagree with me on this (to the extent i am actually taking a position). I’m not interested in a fight about nepotism or coaching integrity or whatever. Mostly I just think the team would probably be better with a little more dolezaj and a little less buddy, recognizing neither of them were particularly good yesterday.
You are both right. I was one of the posters after game 1 questioning Buddy's extended minutes (and struggling jumpshot) and MD's bench time. But you guys see the bigger picture ... which is that the two are unrelated. The guard rotation is temporary - Buddy is there because we need another guard to play alongside TB (temporary PG) and no one else is healthy. His shot will come - and IMO he handled the pressure very well - he'll be a backup. MD, on the other hand, is on the bench because Hughes is more productive offensively and better able to handle quick/pressure defenders. That may be the case more often than not this year.

In 2019, things will be different. MD will likely return to the starting lineup because, Like Bees, I think Hughes will move back to the 2. THere's nothing wrong with Hughe's handle - he scored most of his points Saturday night driving the lane against some VERY quick guards. In fact, he plays like a Battle clone ... big, tough 3-level scoring SG who can drive and finish at the rim. He can also play forward, and is more functional there against scrappy-baller teams than Merrick. I'm a big Merrick fan, but he may have to wait until next year to get his starting position back.

Last edited:
I've not accused him of nepotism. I've simply pointed out that he hasn't had this sort of patience with a freshman guard shooting this poorly in his first 2 games before. JB knows better than anyone what Buddy is and is not capable of doing on the court and I fully expect that he will coach accordingly throughout the season.

It's only 2 games and we're essentially down 2.5 guards to injury. My guess is Buddy goes to 8/9th man once those guys are healthy. Still not sure what your point is; you keep referencing historical precedent and surprise re: the long leash on Buddy, but when have we ever had 3 PG's injured like this? Are you suggesting that after game 1's performance, Buddy should have been benched to let Hughes play the 2 and Marek the 3? I suppose I could see that argument, however I'm sure Buddy has been shooting better in practice than these 2 games, thus earning the PT while also having a strong A/TO ratio in practice & games.

i think buddy is a lot more talented than he has shown so far, and that talent will show itself many times this season

i think buddy is a lot more talented than he has shown so far, and that talent will show itself many times this season
I agree about his talent and think he will have a great career at SU. I was just trying to read the tea leaves for this season, and just don't anticipate there being many minutes available for him once we get to the meat of the schedule, assuming everyone remains healthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom