When Benny finally figures it out… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When Benny finally figures it out…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean the coaching staff is terrible at recruiting HS players and offering scholarships to HS players or the coaching isn’t good at player development?

It’s got to be one of the other based on your comment.
This may be one of the most poorly constructed arguments I've ever heard. Because a player doesn't pan out the coaches must be terrible at recruiting OR player development?

[I should edit this to say he hasn't panned out yet. I'm sure no one here is giving up on him at this point. But your argument is still dopey.]

I think it’s more than one mistake that’s getting him pulled. Benny like I said looks completely out of sorts and has no idea where he is supposed to be or what he is supposed to be doing.I feel almost embarrassed for him every time he steps on the court.Hopefully someone is checking on him and his mental health because something ain’t right.
The kid has my support 100%. Every comment he has made publicly this year has been positive and classy.

Our entire roster have all been good kids and said nothing but the right things.
I hope you are wrong though but we don’t know.

This may be one of the most poorly constructed arguments I've ever heard. Because a player doesn't pan out the coaches must be terrible at recruiting OR player development?
5 star recruit. Our best recruit in years.
Do you need the context. People want to rip the kid. I won’t rip the kid if the kid does no wrong.

It’s the people paid that make the decisions. It’s not poorly constructed people want to blame the kid for not getting minutes.
If a 5 star kid can’t play then either the staff misidentified the player in evaluations or the player development isn’t working.

Pretty simple. You can disagree. Its not poorly constructed. Its you subjectively disagree.

Anybody that cannot see Benny's progress is not an observer of the game. Earlier in the season he wasn't making any plays. Now he is not finishing plays. There is a big difference. He has not yet proven that he can, in fact, finish those plays, but to say there is no progress is absurd.

So the big issue over time will be, can he eventually finish enough of those plays to become a starting caliber player or even a star ????

One more comment, I think a big part of his problem is that he does not seem to have strong hands. He doesn't quite seem to be able to snare the rebound or finish thru contact. I think that is the part of his body he needs to try and develop in the off season.

I warned people at the beginning of the year when some people said he was the next melo. The expectations were outrageous. His ranking was also outrageous. He had the ultimate green light in HS and majority of his highlights happened in space and with no one playing real defense. His athletic ability is through the roof but this was about what I was expecting and why Jimmy is playing here as well...

5 star recruit. Our best recruit in years.
Do you need the context. People want to rip the kid. I won’t rip the kid if the kid does no wrong.

It’s the people paid that make the decisions. It’s not poorly constructed people want to blame the kid for not getting minutes.
If a 5 star kid can’t play then either the staff misidentified the player in evaluations or the player development isn’t working.

Pretty simple. You can disagree. Its not poorly constructed. Its you subjectively disagree.

You're so bad at arguing you don't even realize what a turd your argument is. Just to be clear, you're saying that if a 5 star recruit doesn't pan out then it's either a result of the coaching staff being bad at player development or bad at identifying talent?

You're so bad at arguing you don't even realize what a turd your argument is. Just to be clear, you're saying that if a 5 star recruit doesn't pan out then it's either a result of the coaching staff being bad at player development or bad at identifying talent?
I will get banned if i respond to this anymore then the next statement.
JB is perfect and never wrong. I am always wrong lets run this entire team back next year.

Benny needs lots of work. He’s a great athlete, but he really needs to work on his basketball skills offensively. He can’t shoot or get to the rim right now. Frankly he’s been a bit overrated by scouts, our fans, and our coaches. It’s going to take time and expectations appear to be way too high for him at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:
I put the blame on Benny. I was friends with a D1 player that won most improved player in his conference. The coach was all puffed out about it but coaching had absolutely nothing to do with it. Improvement came from personal effort. Benny knows what he has to do. He has been hooping his entire life. I am not saying that he will not improve. Maybe he will, I have no idea. Improvement will take lots of hard work on his part. His shot is a disaster and his handle lacks control. I guess that Casey would provide better stats than Benny at this time.

I will get banned if i respond to this anymore then the next statement.
JB is perfect and never wrong. I am always wrong lets run this entire team back next year.

You could also say, "I don't know much about basketball. It's my understanding that all five-star recruits are effective immediately unless the coaches are bad at player development or identifying talent."

You could also say, "I don't know much about basketball. It's my understanding that all five-star recruits are effective immediately unless the coaches are bad at player development or identifying talent."
You don’t get it. If you think this is a one year statement.
Again our player development has been poor lately.
Credit to Coach Griffin for Jesse. Credit to JB as well he is the HC.

Beyond that it has been since 2015 we have had a big play this well on both ends.
Player development has been poor for a while.
How much better did 5 star Tyus Battle get from Freshman year to thru Jr. year.

I can list examples. A lot of our players have been made products recently. Very little improvement other than just getting more usage.
We haven’t good PG and C for a while. We have done a good job placing duct tape and white knuckling in the regular season. That builds up my point.

Our recruiting hasn’t been great since 2016. We aren’t getting the same level of classes. We got a 5 star last year.

Again if you need more context ask for it but you just want to attack the guy you subjectively disagree.
I am not lazy like the other guy and just say you are stupid if I don’t like what is said.
The point being made isn’t a 1 year example. Its a systematic point.

Player development and recruiting haven’t been the same.
The HC will say whatever to justify what defends what he does.
If you can’t figure out my point was in jest to that sorry I have to explain it.

You don’t get it. If you think this is a one year statement.
Again our player development has been poor lately.
Credit to Coach Griffin for Jesse. Credit to JB as well he is the HC.

Beyond that it has been since 2015 we have had a big play this well on both ends.
Player development has been poor for a while.
How much better did 5 star Tyus Battle get from Freshman year to thru Jr. year.

I can list examples. A lot of our players have been made products recently. Very little improvement other than just getting more usage.
We haven’t good PG and C for a while. We have done a good job placing duct tape and white knuckling in the regular season. That builds up my point.

Our recruiting hasn’t been great since 2016. We aren’t getting the same level of classes. We got a 5 star last year.

Again if you need more context ask for it but you just want to attack the guy you subjectively disagree.
I am not lazy like the other guy and just say you are stupid if I don’t like what is said.
The point being made isn’t a 1 year example. Its a systematic point.

Player development and recruiting haven’t been the same.
The HC will say whatever to justify what defends what he does.
If you can’t figure out my point was in jest to that sorry I have to explain it.
So you realized your argument was dumb and now you're changing it? Got it. I don't blame you. I would have done the same.

Are you giving up on Benny already?

So you realized your argument was dumb and now you're changing it? Got it. I don't blame you. I would have done the same.

Are you giving up on Benny already?
I am not getting banned responding to your bait. I give you context and you respond with that.
Glad i got a lurker out here posting but I am not going to go down the hole you are baiting me.
Not worth it.

I am not getting banned responding to you. I give you context and you respond with that.

Not worth it.

You didn't "give context," you changed the subject. You realized your original argument painted you into a dumb corner so you shifted to the more general, "I'm unhappy with the program" stuff.

That's fine. But don't act like you're scared of being banned when you just can't back up your own goofy argument. You don't watch enough basketball to know that plenty of good program have recruits that don't pan out. That's fine. No one is saying you have to be a basketball expert to post here.

More importantly, I'll ask my question again, have you already given up on Benny?

As you would say show your work.
What top 35 recruits are you talking about.

What programs are they at?
If you want to dispute my comment show your work.

Quickly looking at last year’s recruits rated near Benny, there are quite a few who having slow starts to their college careers.

Nate Bittle - ORE
Brandon Huntley-Hatfield - TEN
Tamara Bates - IND
Enoch Baokye - ASU
Manny Obaseki - TA&M

You didn't "give context," you changed the subject. You realized your original argument painted you into a dumb corner so you shifted to the more general, "I'm unhappy with the program" stuff.

That's fine. But don't act like you're scared of being banned when you just can't back up your own goofy argument. You don't watch enough basketball to know that plenty of good program have recruits that don't pan out. That's fine. No one is saying you have to be a basketball expert to post here.

More importantly, I'll ask my question again, have you already given up on Benny?
My OP goes back to comment made in a coaches thread by SWC.
I really didn’t want to have to explain thar but because you want to pin me down i gave the context. That is the origin of the original statement that statement is in relation to the last 8 years.

Somebody wanted to take a shot at Benny Williams. My statement pushed the blame at the people who are paid.

I have not given up on Benny but I believe Bulldog who has said he is gone and he has connections with the program.
I think Benny will get better. I hope its here.
If this fanbase wants to defend JB’s decisions to the degree it will rip a good kid i wil fire back and put it on tbe adults who are paid.
They built the roster and left it short. If Benny isn’t ready then the staff should have brought in another forward.
They clearly missed up the talent evaluation.

If you’re seeing flashes...you need a brain scan.
Poor Benny is lost and making every expert on this board pining for more playing time for him look like a chimp.
Well call me Mongo and feed me a banana because I've got a fever and the only prescription is more Benny minutes.

infomercial deal with it GIF

Quickly looking at last year’s recruits rated near Benny, there are quite a few who having slow starts to their college careers.

Nate Bittle - ORE
Tamara Bates - IND
Enoch Baokye - ASU
Manny Obaseki - TA&M
Good job you did the work. Proved the counter to my point.
I admit when someone can prove it.

I think Benny can improve. I think the staff has done a poor job at player development and recruiting has been poor recently.

If people want to rip the kid for not getting playing time on a thin roster like we have i put the blame on the adults who built the roster not the kids unless they do something wrong which none of ours have.

Good job you did the work. Proved the counter to my point.
I admit when someone can prove it.

I think Benny can improve. I think the staff has done a poor job at player development and recruiting has been poor recently.

If people want to rip the kid for not getting playing time on a thin roster like we have i put the blame on the adults who built the roster not the kids unless they do something wrong which none of ours have.

One thing that I found interesting when I looked at the list is that outside of the top 20, front court players have struggled. Could be several factors - lack of strength, speed of the game, prior hs season cut short due to Covid, etc.

Definitely rooting for Benny and hope to see him excel here in the future.

Nate Bittle - ORE
Tamara Bates - IND
Enoch Baokye - ASU
Manny Obaseki - TA&M
All of those players coaches must be poor evaluators of talent or else suck at player development.

One thing that I found interesting when I looked at the list is that outside of the top 20, front court players have struggled. Could be several factors - lack of strength, speed of the game, prior hs season cut short due to Covid, etc.

Definitely rooting for Benny and hope to see him excel here in the future.

I mentioned it in other threads but the major disruptions to the Prep and AAU schedules appear to have wreaked havoc on a lot of kids including those higher rated.

You never want to throw in the towel on a kid having a rough first year.

There can be truth in the staff doing a poor job with roster construction and development in addition to a player being way more of a project than rankings would suggest.

VT called it out in the post game thread but Benny doesn't go out there and play and compete like kid that wants it. He seems to say all the right things for sure and is a great kid. He just doesn’t have that intensity on the court you need to have if you are going to play and be a non scorer.

He has a ton of work to do before next year. Given recent examples it is a little difficult to be overly optimistic he can get there.

You never want to throw in the towel on a kid having a rough first year.

There can be truth in the staff doing a poor job with roster construction and development in addition to a player being way more of a project than rankings would suggest.

VT called it out in the post game thread but Benny doesn't go out there and play and compete like kid that wants it. He seems to say all the right things for sure and is a great kid. He just doesn’t have that intensity on the court you need to have if you are going to play and be a non scorer.

He has a ton of work to do before next year. Given recent examples it is a little difficult to be overly optimistic he can get there.
This is sobering.
If he isn’t ready for next year we need another forward next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom