When does Fall camp start? | Syracusefan.com

When does Fall camp start?

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Do we have a preseason agenda and schedule yet?

I think it’s exactly 4 weeks from whenever your first game is so it would be august 3rd?

When I watched SU football practices during the Ernie Davis era and beyond, practices were called “ football practice.” Now, football practice is called football “camp.” Why?

The Boy and Girl Scouts go to camps. Soldiers live and train in camps. They live in camps during wartime. I’ve been to hunting and fishing camps. Mountain men camped out. My family once owned a camp on a lake.

When I go camping I bring a tent, cook my food on an open fire that I build, and when needed, I piss with my back to the wind. When I go camping, I am not practicing. I am camping.

So, at football camp? Are the players camping? Or are they practicing?

There are a lot of smart people who frequent this forum. Perhaps one of you can provide me with an answer as to why football practices are now called football camps.

I can’t wait to see what kind of responses I’ll receive.

Yes, I still have a flip phone.

When I watched SU football practices during the Ernie Davis era and beyond, practices were called “ football practice.” Now, football practice is called football “camp.” Why?

The Boy and Girl Scouts go to camps. Soldiers live and train in camps. They live in camps during wartime. I’ve been to hunting and fishing camps. Mountain men camped out. My family once owned a camp on a lake.

When I go camping I bring a tent, cook my food on an open fire that I build, and when needed, I piss with my back to the wind. When I go camping, I am not practicing. I am camping.

There are a lot of smart people who frequent this forum. Perhaps one of you can provide me with an answer as to why football practices are now called football camps.

wasnt it called camp because back in the day they actually went to camp to practice in the preseason?

Because in the afternoons, they make boondoggles and other crafts.

Last edited:
Axe said the 31st at some point

I want to blame it on baseball. But that's "spring training", isn't it?

So I looked it up, and it looks like it's military in origin, specifically around the time of WWI.

I think you are confusing preseason training camp and pre game practices.
I found a reference to training camp from a 1958 article, so it is not a new term.

Camp?

In the NFL when summer camp opens most teams sequestered the entire team away from their normal surroundings and their normal distractions. Players live together, eat together and work together with a singular focus of getting better and getting ready for the season. Family men are away from their families and with their team.

This year at Syracuse "camp" is going to be different than in recent years.
  • All of the players will be living in the dorms or apartments on South Campus. Many older players live off campus in houses or apartments. For camp, they will be living, eating and working with their teammates.
  • Players who have cars must turn their keys in to the coaches. Players will be walking back and forth between the facility and their dorms.
  • No one will be allowed to leave camp until after the scrimmage on the 10th.

Total focus!

There will be three scrimmages; the 10th, 17th and 24th.

Last edited:

What is the meaning of camp in football?

Training camp (NFL) - Wikipedia

In the National Football League, training camp refers to the time before the season commences. During this time, teams sometimes congregate at an outside location, usually a university, to conduct training camp for at least the first few weeks.

A traditional fall training camp with padded practices would start the first week in August, 29 days before a team's first contest. AUGUST 2

YA got me - I have no idea - for me they should be called what they are preseason practice.

• All of the players will be living in the dorms or apartments on South Campus. Many older players live off campus in houses or apartments. For camp, they will be living, eating and working with their teammates.
  • Players who have cars must turn their keys in to the coaches. Players will be walking back and forth between the facility and their dorms.
  • No one will be allowed to leave camp until after the scrimmage on the 10th.
Yeah, I am not made of the stuff needed to be part of Fran Brown's program this year.

That sounds like Hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom