When Dungey scrambles, things open up big-time. | Syracusefan.com

When Dungey scrambles, things open up big-time.

Rocco

Watching you.
He had a very mixed bag of throws (some excellent, some horrible) while standing in the pocket, but man when he starts running, the opposing defense gets completely confused. He has the shake and bake ability to make anyone miss, plus I feel that he throws it much better while on the move. Our offense is much more effective when he starts moving around. Not a typical QB for the Babers' system, but his scrambling talent helps to make up for his arm weaknesses. It adds a huge element and makes it difficult for the opposing D.

We all know that he has been injury-prone, but he has taken HUGE shots in every game so far (some very dirty), yet gets right back up and barks. The added 15 lbs he put on in the offseason seems to be making a big difference. The kid has a warrior spirit and is the fiercest offensive competitor I ever remember us having.

He has singlehandedly won games for us this year. It's fun as hell to watch this kid play.

He just needs to remember who is chasing him.. get out and leave the pocket or throw but dont get smashed.

I love Dungey's running ability. He makes the cuts and players miss that none of our running backs seem to have the ability to do. Dungey is a very interesting player, clearly extremely emotional. In some ways I see his emotion work to his advantage and others really work against him(It really kind of plays into Dino's saying about wanting the team to be consistently good rather than occasionally great). It was evident in the first half against Pitt that he was forcing a lot of balls, making a lot of silly mistakes and really just plain bad throws.

If Devito is the real deal, and comes out to compete next year I wouldn't be upset seeing Devito at QB and Dungey at tight end along with Pierce. I'll take a few more "decent" to subpar seasons if it means setting this team up for consistent winning seasons in the future. No sense in rushing it, we've grown quite accustomed to being a subpar program. I would prefer to build this team and program the right way for sustained success.

I love Dungey's running ability. He makes the cuts and players miss that none of our running backs seem to have the ability to do. Dungey is a very interesting player, clearly extremely emotional. In some ways I see his emotion work to his advantage and others really work against him(It really kind of plays into Dino's saying about wanting the team to be consistently good rather than occasionally great). It was evident in the first half against Pitt that he was forcing a lot of balls, making a lot of silly mistakes and really just plain bad throws.

If Devito is the real deal, and comes out to compete next year I wouldn't be upset seeing Devito at QB and Dungey at tight end along with Pierce. I'll take a few more "decent" to subpar seasons if it means setting this team up for consistent winning seasons in the future. No sense in rushing it, we've grown quite accustomed to being a subpar program. I would prefer to build this team and program the right way for sustained success.

He's not moving.

I think that given the OL's youth - having a guy who can run back there is really helpful. DeVito will hit the ground running with an experienced OL / some young 4*who will give him time.

I honestly think he needs to get a couple runs in early to get his game going. He needs a big run and to hit someone to get his juices flowing. I think he is just that type of player. Like a basketball player that struggles early. You encourage them to drive to the basket and draw a foul if needed. Just to get an opportunity to see the ball go through the basket.

When he gets in space he is a fast and powerful runner.

He has very good speed. He looks slower than he actually is. Not many QBs can turn the corner on OLBs and safeties.

I honestly think he needs to get a couple runs in early to get his game going. He needs a big run and to hit someone to get his juices flowing. I think he is just that type of player. Like a basketball player that struggles early. You encourage them to drive to the basket and draw a foul if needed. Just to get an opportunity to see the ball go through the basket.

Agreed completely.

On this note (and I get that officials can't get everything right), how can everyone associated with football talk about "gotta protect the players' heads" while they still refuse to protect players who slide?

Every damn game Dungey gets hit by someone when he's on the ground after he's slid. This should be the easiest way to clean up the game 15 yards at a time, but they won't do it.

McNabb was a great scrambler too and if you noticed McNabb seem to not let the pressure get to him that much as he was always pointing down field telling the receivers where to run. Dungey needs to watch his films and learn how to absorb the pressure a little better to avoid taking unnecessary hits. Dungey did it with Riley against CMU and it worked great on that play.

Im expecting the option a little more this week along with reverses and jet sweeps. Anything to spread them out and keep them guessing. Also sweeps and options force their bigs to run. Combine that with fast and maybe they tire out.

McNabb was a great scrambler too and if you noticed McNabb seem to not let the pressure get to him that much as he was always pointing down field telling the receivers where to run. Dungey needs to watch his films and learn how to absorb the pressure a little better to avoid taking unnecessary hits. Dungey did it with Riley against CMU and it worked great on that play.

The funny thing about McNabb back then was the OL [despite some pretty good personnel] was a sieve. He would feel pressure and make plays with his feet to buy time, and he made it look easy that 90% of the time it didn't look like the broken play it actually was.

The funny thing about McNabb back then was the OL [despite some pretty good personnel] was a sieve. He would feel pressure and make plays with his feet to buy time, and he made it look easy that 90% of the time it didn't look like the broken play it actually was.
yup, but when he started to point you knew it was a broken play

On this note (and I get that officials can't get everything right), how can everyone associated with football talk about "gotta protect the players' heads" while they still refuse to protect players who slide?

Every damn game Dungey gets hit by someone when he's on the ground after he's slid. This should be the easiest way to clean up the game 15 yards at a time, but they won't do it.

Some of the non-calls when he gets hit late are baffling. I just love it that he gets right up and starts running his mouth and going back to the huddle.

He's doing a lot better regarding just taking off and keeping behind the line of scrimmage with his head up looking downfield. I've watched the WR's and they are moving better as well and not just standing around when he breaks from the pocket. That said, while he made a very nice run at the end of the game he cut to the middle and didn't slide...the Pitt guy had a shot at him but couldn't quite get a clear one. That one worried me a bit. He's an athletic player and his competitiveness is top notch and HCDB has himself a wild bronko that he ain't taming but has to continue to tweek.

A big reason MacNabb was so effective was his sixth sense knowing when to escape the pocket. It was as if he had eyes behind his head.

At least Dungy won't have to worry about a dirty hit, being choked, etc. from Clempson's Ben Boulware this Friday.

Yeah - no completely "legal and legit" suplexes ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom