When Dungey scrambles, things open up big-time. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When Dungey scrambles, things open up big-time.

Dungey against Clemson:

20-32
278 yards
3 TDs
0 Int

61 yards rushing

This kid continues to absolutely amaze me.

Couple key plays last night:
  • The throw to Ishmael on the TD was perfect
  • His 45 yard run was epic
  • His last run and ball stretch on 3rd and 1 to seal the win was amazing.

We're so lucky to have him. He's so unconventional and he continues to give defenses absolute fits. He gets crushed a several times every game and gets right back up like a warrior. Freak.

Last edited:
YTD through 7 games (4-3, 2-1)

188-293, 64.2%
2080 yards (297 yds/game)
12 TDs
4 Int

386 yards rushing (55 yds/game)
8 TDs

Most importantly, stats don't account for the way he fundamentally changes the game for the opposing D. The true backyard QB.

Dungey against Clemson:

20-32
278 yards
3 TDs
0 Int

61 yards rushing

We're so lucky to have him. He's so unconventional and he continues to give defenses absolute fits. He gets crushed a several times every game and gets right back up like a warrior. Freak.

Remember people were actually asking for the Officer. Nothing against Zac, but good Lord that was then and is now the absolute dumbest thing I have seen anyone suggest on this board.

You know what else is funny about Dungey too, even on that long run when he got up he didn't even seem tired and was ready to get to the next play going. He along with the rest of the kids are so well conditioned it's amazing.

I love Dungey's running ability. He makes the cuts and players miss that none of our running backs seem to have the ability to do. Dungey is a very interesting player, clearly extremely emotional. In some ways I see his emotion work to his advantage and others really work against him(It really kind of plays into Dino's saying about wanting the team to be consistently good rather than occasionally great). It was evident in the first half against Pitt that he was forcing a lot of balls, making a lot of silly mistakes and really just plain bad throws.

If Devito is the real deal, and comes out to compete next year I wouldn't be upset seeing Devito at QB and Dungey at tight end along with Pierce. I'll take a few more "decent" to subpar seasons if it means setting this team up for consistent winning seasons in the future. No sense in rushing it, we've grown quite accustomed to being a subpar program. I would prefer to build this team and program the right way for sustained success.
NCAA #3 in all purpose yards - moved to TE as a Sr.?

Dude.

YTD through 7 games (4-3, 2-1)

188-293, 64.2%
2080 yards (297 yds/game)
12 TDs
4 Int

386 yards rushing (55 yds/game)
8 TDs

Most importantly, stats don't account for the way he fundamentally changes the game for the opposing D. The true backyard QB.
And those are NET rushing yards... sacks and losses account for about 200 yards... much different than what a RB contends with.

Remember people were actually asking for the Officer. Nothing against Zac, but good Lord that was then and is now the absolute dumbest thing I have seen anyone suggest on this board.

Agreed completely. There were several high football IQ asking for Mahoney. It was utterly baffling.

Mahoney is great to have as a backup, but let's hope he doesn't need to play. Dungey is on another level this year.

I'm literally laughing out loud at the thought of a 6'2 220 lb TE playing against Clemson and FSU.

Dungey will either be a QB here or won't be playing at all.

Devito is in QB incubation. He will be ready to rock in 2019 and will get some mop-up duty against Clemson starting next year. ;)

I'm literally laughing out loud at the thought of a 6'2 220 lb TE playing against Clemson and FSU.

Devito is in QB incubation. He will be ready to rock in 2019 and will get some mop-up duty against Clemson starting next year. ;)
Eric playing lights out is actually the best thing for Tommy Gun. The stage is being set for Tommy to lead us to our 1st top 10 ranking in decades.

Eric playing lights out is actually the best thing for Tommy Gun. The stage is being set for Tommy to lead us to our 1st top 10 ranking in decades.

It's always good to let a true freshman get stronger and learn from a stellar upperclassman. This is a complex system and this is a tough conference. Those that wanted to rush Devito into the mix never made sense to me.

Dungey has gone from a point guard that shoots too much (runs too quickly) to one who keeps his head up and looks for his receivers to be open. The WR's are getting better at working (still more work to be done) as well while ED is moving instead of standing and watching or blocking. His, is he going to take off or pass now is going to kill DB's and LB's and they have to make a decision quickly on what to do and their hesitation will only help the SU offense. Along with this...it tires the DL running around and chasing him.

Dungey against Clemson:

20-32
278 yards
3 TDs
0 Int

61 yards rushing

And one more: pushing Strickland into a first down. That was epic effort.

I gripe about Dungey's accuracy and impatience sometimes, but that was a crazy game. The team needed him to be perfect and he was pretty much perfect. Awesome performance.

Love ED and his competitiveness. I have no doubt in my mind that had he not been hurt, we would have scored on the drive where he had to come out for that single play. He would have found a way.

The one thing I'll say about Devito is I really hope they find a way to get him some series next year. It's beyond obvious that Dungey will be the King of the Hill next year, but 2019 will be a much better season if we can get Devito some time under center in 2018.

That being said... Dungey is a Godsend. His ability to extend the play is invaluable. And he doesn't just tuck and run... his eyes are downfield. I'm starting to believe he might be able to find himself a place in the NFL.

As thrilled as I am about Dungey playing better as the season progresses what will to me be the program turner a rounder is when Dungey throws 3 picks and struggles and SU wins. If the OL continues their steady improvement as do the rest of the offense what could be a wonderful (but yet frustrating) thing would be to win those really ugly games and ED struggles. Strickland has a 120 yard game, pin punts, or the D is lights out. That's why I enjoy this game, the team aspect of it. The more confidence they all get...wow, this machine is going to be tough to stop even when its QB struggles and yes, ED will struggle for a game or 2 from here out.

As thrilled as I am about Dungey playing better as the season progresses what will to me be the program turner a rounder is when Dungey throws 3 picks and struggles and SU wins.
What was McNabb's record when he threw 3 picks? Just saying you might be overshooting here a bit.

What was McNabb's record when he threw 3 picks? Just saying you might be overshooting here a bit.

The D was quite bad at times when Donny was at SU and it's just an example of a bad game and teammates stepping up, not really meant to be taken literally.

The one thing I'll say about Devito is I really hope they find a way to get him some series next year. It's beyond obvious that Dungey will be the King of the Hill next year, but 2019 will be a much better season if we can get Devito some time under center in 2018.

That being said... Dungey is a Godsend. His ability to extend the play is invaluable. And he doesn't just tuck and run... his eyes are downfield. I'm starting to believe he might be able to find himself a place in the NFL.

The OCC schedule is not as tough next year. If we take care of business like we should, I think Devito gets a good number of series. We also played Dungey longer than we could have in the CCSU and CMU games this year cause we were still working out kinks in the offense. That shouldn't be a problem next season.

The OCC schedule is not as tough next year. If we take care of business like we should, I think Devito gets a good number of series. We also played Dungey longer than we could have in the CCSU and CMU games this year cause we were still working out kinks in the offense. That shouldn't be a problem next season.

Yes, next year's OOC schedule should have us 4-0 headed into ACC play. That loss to MTSU stings so bad right now.

Devito will get plenty of run next year. No sense in blowing his redshirt this year during mop-up duty.

Off the top of my head 0-3, at Minny, Miami at home '96, at NCST '98.

Off the top of my head 0-3, at Minny, Miami at home '96, at NCST '98.
Exactly. If you can survive 3+ turnovers that means the other team is really crappy or your defense is really stingy.

Not to quibble, but Dungey is 6'4" ;-) Funny thing is...if he had to play TE, now that he's proven he can pack on quality weight, he'd probably be very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom