When ESPN last night switched immediately to the KU/UT game... | Syracusefan.com

When ESPN last night switched immediately to the KU/UT game...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
After our game was over, I though it was comical when PBP announcer Bob Wischusen asked Fran Fraschilla what he thought about the huge Syracuse upset. Fran's remark was; well, you know, Syracuse and that 2-3 zone of theirs, and their length, yada, yada, yada, can give you trouble.

Um, earth to Fran, Duke scored 91 points against our zone. I'm not sure when we have given up 91 points playing zone, nothing but the zone, and have come away with a victory. Our zone last night was not why we won the game, but more a result of our superb offensive effort and exploiting Duke's man to man weaknesses, especially at the guard spot with Jones going down.

After our game was over, I though it was comical when PBP announcer Bob Wischusen asked Fran Fraschilla what he thought about the huge Syracuse upset. Fran's remark was; well, you know, Syracuse and that 2-3 zone of theirs, and their length, yada, yada, yada, can give you trouble.

Um, earth to Fran, Duke scored 91 points against our zone. I'm not sure when we have given up 91 points playing zone, nothing but the zone, and have come away with a victory. Our zone last night was not why we won the game, but more a result of our superb offensive effort and exploiting Duke's man to man weaknesses, especially at the guard spot with Jones going down.
There were a lot of possessions last night. High tempo game. I'd be curious to know how many points we allowed per possession. Someone smarter than me could calculate it.

Also Duke shot miserably from 3. Yeah there were open looks, but I don't think you can automatically discount Cuse defensive effort simply by looking at 91 points allowed in 45 mins.

For the life of me I still can’t believe we scored 95
It is mind boggling

Well, I did post yesterday in the 'Dino says have faith' thread that God was an Orange fan tonight. So, I think that had a lot to do with Reddish being sick and Jones getting injured, and us hitting 3's. Certainly, on that 75' prayer from Hughes. The Lord did "hear our prayer." ;):)

There were a lot of possessions last night. High tempo game. I'd be curious to know how many points we allowed per possession. Someone smarter than me could calculate it.

Also Duke shot miserably from 3. Yeah there were open looks, but I don't think you can automatically discount Cuse defensive effort simply by looking at 91 points allowed in 45 mins.

Now that's an interesting comment from you. You acknowledged that Duke shot miserably from 3, having many open looks, and at the same time saying one can't automatically discount 'Cuse's defensive effort. Okay!?!?

In any event, who said anything about discounting their defensive effort? What I implied was that it was more of our offensive prowess last night along with Duke's defensive deficiencies being the main reason for our victory.

Now that's an interesting comment from you. You acknowledged that Duke shot miserably from 3, having many open looks, and at the same time saying one can't automatically discount 'Cuse's defensive effort. Okay!?!?

In any event, who said anything about discounting their defensive effort? What I implied was that it was more of our offensive prowess last night along with Duke's defensive deficiencies being the main reason for our victory.
They shot poorly from 3. There were some open looks. But Cuse defensive gameplan was smart. Packed the zone and gambled that Duke wouldn't shoot well.

Regardless, it is a rudimentary error to simply look at "points allowed" and render a snap judgement on a team's defensive effort.

Not totally sure on points per possession, but according to Sports Reference, we had an offensive rating of 104.4 while Duke's was 100.0. Offensive Rating is defined as "an estimate of points scored per 100 possessions."

Syracuse vs. Duke Box Score, January 14, 2019 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I would yell at the tv every time that Tyus or Frank took a long 2 but they kept falling. Worst shots that you can possibly take in basketball and Tyus seems to love them.
Your point's obviously valid in terms of long two-pointers, but I'll just say that the long two-pointer you can make is a better shot than the three-pointer you can't.

They shot poorly from 3. There were some open looks. But Cuse defensive gameplan was smart. Packed the zone and gambled that Duke wouldn't shoot well.

Regardless, it is a rudimentary error to simply look at "points allowed" and render a snap judgement on a team's defensive effort.

Again, no error made, or one snapping any judgement on the team's defensive effort, that's your position and interpretation. We scored 95 points, 88 in regulation in order to win...that speaks for itself. And, it was the primary reason we won the game. If you wish to continue to debate this, maybe you'll find another player.

Your point's obviously valid in terms of long two-pointers, but I'll just say that the long two-pointer you can make is a better shot than the three-pointer you can't.
I think the point is they were remarkably contested shots

I would yell at the tv every time that Tyus or Frank took a long 2 but they kept falling. Worst shots that you can possibly take in basketball and Tyus seems to love them.

Players don’t take long 2’s on purpose. They also aren’t going to look down at their feet and say I better back dribble one step. Long 2’s is an overused complaint. By media too.

In the second half I thought the defense was pretty ok. We did give up a lot of points but it was like chess because Zion even touching the ball in the paint was a check mate for every defensive possession. When the other team has a player that other worldly effective, the bar has to move a bit on what success looks like for the defense.

gave up 1 point per possession, which is not great on it's face until you look & see it was duke's 2nd worse output of the season

Players don’t take long 2’s on purpose. They also aren’t going to look down at their feet and say I better back dribble one step. Long 2’s is an overused complaint. By media too.

Completely disagree, certain players take a TON of them, Tyus being one of them and those players are never going to shoot a good percentage. If the player isn't too blame then coaches are. NBA players have never been more efficient then they are currently by basically getting rid of that shot because there is no value there. The shooting % on them is essentially the same as taking a 3 except without the benefit of potentially being worth 50% more. Can go take a look at a James Harden shot chart or any player for that matter with a high offensive efficiency rating.

I think JB’s computer mind did a risk analysis and gambled on defending inside at the expense of allowing them to shoot more 3’s. They cheated off White daring him to shoot(0-10 all from 3)and it paid off and luckily Barrett gunned it (8 for 30 with 4-17 from 3) and missed. Barrett didn’t want to lose his ACC leading scoring average regardless of the volume of shots. No way he should have taken 4 more shots than both Williamson and Bolden combined.

I think JB’s computer mind did a risk analysis and gambled on defending inside at the expense of allowing them to shoot more 3’s. They cheated off White daring him to shoot(0-10 all from 3)and it paid off and luckily Barrett gunned it (8 for 30 with 4-17 from 3) and missed. Barrett mustn’t want to lose his ACC leading scoring average regardless of the volume of shots.
a lot of em were with the shot clock running out - many of his teammates didnt want to shoot seemingly - so credit for that to the Zone, for sure - the ones he made were usually the wide open ones where the rotations wasnt there.

paint touch for zion was a score - everything else was a chore - without him they wouldve struggled to hit 60.

speaking of barrett - he couldn't guard battle - it was awesome to see tyus put a few dookies on the floor without touching them!!! gotta think tyus' draft stock is back in biz after that show he put on!

Completely disagree, certain players take a TON of them, Tyus being one of them and those players are never going to shoot a good percentage. If the player isn't too blame then coaches are. NBA players have never been more efficient then they are currently by basically getting rid of that shot because there is no value there. The shooting % on them is essentially the same as taking a 3 except without the benefit of potentially being worth 50% more. Can go take a look at a James Harden shot chart or any player for that matter with a high offensive efficiency rating.

None of these guys are James Harden

They are not sitting courtside watching the game

In the second half I thought the defense was pretty ok. We did give up a lot of points but it was like chess because Zion even touching the ball in the paint was a check mate for every defensive possession. When the other team has a player that other worldly effective, the bar has to move a bit on what success looks like for the defense.

Yeah, we really packed it in in the second half. We had one guy on his hip the whole time. We also fronted him with Brissett when the ball moved to his side of the floor.

It was a great adjustment, and that's what got Barrett to shoot about 20 threes. He and the substitute guard were the open guys. Make those guys beat you shooting from distance, not the guy who can bully your interior defense like Zion did.