When is it too much ??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When is it too much ???

It is really terrible. I also follow Michigan and my wife is an Aggie so I pay some attention to both and there is plenty of info about both pumped out constantly. I guess their fan bases are somewhere around 10-50x bigger and there is demand for it but it really blows to have your school be in a major conference and just barely matter. I have a 2 4 7 account to try to get as much info as I can find and there is like an article once or twice a week on the Cuse board and numerous everyday for Michigan and A&M.
Who would produce articles that so few would care about? Perhaps all of the super fans here (as a compliment) should pool their resources and try to get access and publish information. But beware, when true insiders have come here to share what they can, they are shut down with negativity and ingratitude.

What would people like to see?

Personally, I would like to see more "get to know" player profiles in the weeks leading up to the first week of the season.

Profile a different player every day starting at the end of July. Most players will be on campus for the summer strength and conditioning program. An assertive reporter could likely get access to players during this time to conduct interviews and prepare "get to know" player profiles designed to build interest in the fanbase. People care for and root for players they feel they know something about.

Publish a different profile daily from the end of July until the week of the Louisville game. Interview and profile every projected starter. Interview and profile every new player, freshman and transfers.

Fall camp should open on or about Augst 5th.

I don't know if the perceived lack of information is a Dino problem or more reflective of the reporters during this era of social media. Are the reporters who are dedicated to cover Syracuse football actually "dedicated" to the program? I'd like to see a couple students at Newhouse dedicated to cover the team each season and be given space online to publish their work.

Another way to build a local fanbase would be to fill the 300 level with a ticket giveaway program. Give tickets that you know aren't going to sell to local school kids (and parents or guardians). Fill the seats, bring energy into the Dome and expose kids to the game experience.

Does Dino prevent reporters from calling players and publishing interviews?
I can see where a coach would want to have some control over the information flow.
For sure, some players will speak guardedly and some candidly about anything they're asked.

Talking about recruits is illegal. If White was leaking info he should have been fired.
You don't think that happens all over the country especialy in this day and age

Not even talking about now. Talking in general at all different times of the year.
Yeah, I’m with you on generally more access. Just no reason this time of year.

It's baseball season. I'll start thinking about football again in August.
I wish I had another sport I was passionate about, must make the off-season a lot more manageable. I live and breath football 24/7 365, so the slow months leading up to summer camp for syracuse and training camp for the giants are brutal.

i absolutely prefer that nothing is said. just post info on recruiting. i have no interest in whatsoever what dino says

Some of the quietness might be attributed to some coaches taking a break to recharge their batteries. I've often wondered what time of the year affords the best opportunity for coaches to take a vacation. Is there an optimal time of year when the demands of the program relax enough to allow coaches to take a full week of vacation with their family? Or do they just grab a day here and there, given the ongoing nature of things. Recruiting in particular seems never-ending.

Our coaches can’t afford to take a break. They should be looking for Dline help and leaving no stone unturned. If we don’t find any transfer help I’m afraid we are looking at another losing season.

It is really terrible. I also follow Michigan and my wife is an Aggie so I pay some attention to both and there is plenty of info about both pumped out constantly. I guess their fan bases are somewhere around 10-50x bigger and there is demand for it but it really blows to have your school be in a major conference and just barely matter. I have a 2 4 7 account to try to get as much info as I can find and there is like an article once or twice a week on the Cuse board and numerous everyday for Michigan and A&M.
But is the difference because the openness of the coaching staffs are different or because the media finds/creates stories to put out there. I live in Knoxville. They're just as rabid here as anywhere. The biggest difference I see in coverage is due to media constantly coming up with stuff. Some of that is because they cater to the fanbase who clings to every little nugget. A lot of it is just repetitive stuff, especially from the sports talk tv and radio shows (yes, they have local televised University of Tennessee sports talk shows every week).

rebecca-ferguson-greatest-showman.gif

Is anybody else craving any sort of info on the Syracuse football program? Sure there may not be many of us left, but I don’t see how Dino’s closed door policy does anything good for the program, including getting new fans interested. If you think about it how would a young kid who is used to going online and finding any and all information they want be attracted to the program as is? Dino is asking a lot of pure loyalty to expect everybody to come out and pack the Dome when we don’t even get a morsel of information in the off-season. He almost literally expects us to come out for 6 home games and 6 road games a year and that’s it. That’s basically all we see or hear from the program. How is that building success? Besides wanting to operate like he’s in the CIA what are the advantages of shutting everybody out? You would think he would want to respect our fan-ship for hanging in there through some rough decades. You would think he would want to engage potential new fans, but with the iron clad lock on the door and everyone’s mouth I just don’t see how you get there? I don’t think you need coaching ability to say that if I ever had a chance to run a program it would certainly be more fan-friendly.

Am I wrong, or just want a taste of some football?

I get your point but at this stage of the Babers era not sure it's really going to move the needle even if he did open things up. Overall interest at least locally is down to nearly nothing. The people on this board like you and me are diehards and ready for whatever but were the tiny exception. The only thing that will get buts in seats and increase the overall interest in the program is wins on the field, full stop. SU tried a media blitz (at least their version) after the 18 season and unfortunately the 19 campaign was a disaster and we lost whatever momentum had been built up.

The other issue is that I am not sure what there is to really talk about it at least at this point of the season. Recruiting doesn't really pick up for SU until mid June and overall the team has the same concerns that it usually does - Question marks at QB, D-line, and WR. Babers is just going to use coach speak in any article and the belief without evidence stuff is well out the window at this point. Enjoy your summer and every time you think you need some SU football info just remember Dino telling us how good he is at clock management, the resulting laughter should get you through to the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom