When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list?

Not me. The guy is totally off putting, crosses the line with his remarks. I don’t want a coach who is hated for his personality. But someone of his ilk, resume, accomplishments, and age for sure would be ideal.
I understand what you’re saying but he’s just a young coach with a lot of fire. He may cross the line but his energy could reinvigorate a dying program.

My hope is Patrick Belein... his son. Make a bet on a young guy and let him grow. Maybe we get another lifer.
For whatever reason Siena didn't hire him. How about Richard Pitino Sr. At this point I would sacrifice my moral fiber to wish for him. Also Calipari. Don't we want someone who will win?

As I have said before, JB's earned the right to retire on his terms. But when he does leave, the AD whoever they are then needs to go completely out of house for the next coach. NO former players or coaches. We are amongst the Top 8 most attractive jobs in the country and we need to act like it.

Cheers,
Neil

Dying? Do you have any takes that aren’t sizzling?

Was a poor choice of words but id expect a younger guy to have an easier time reenergizing a program thats had the same regime for 40+ years. Not necessarily Oates,.

Would have liked Chris Mack, but unless Louisville gets a major probation of some sort I think that ship sailed when he made the jump to the vile.

For whatever reason Siena didn't hire him. How about Richard Pitino Sr. At this point I would sacrifice my moral fiber to wish for him. Also Calipari. Don't we want someone who will win?
Would he bolt if/when someone in the state of Kentucky comes calling?

We've spent the last however many years watching some piss poor offensive basketball... do we really think hiring a coach from the BiG sleep conference is going to help that?

To address those folks who think Patrick Beilein is too much of a leap... history the chances of the first coach after JB succeeding are less than 25% so might as well go with some unknown and hope you catch lightening in a bottle. Also I'm not convinced that in college hoops the program building aspect is as important as it is in college football where knowing how to be a CEO is much more important. I think the most important things are having someone who has a flexible system, willing to let his teams get up and down the court, can recruit and most important of all can relate to todays kids.

The other thing to consider is that JB isn't all of the sudden moving out of Syracuse... I'm not sure an established coach will come here with him looming. Someone like Beilein would probably appreciate having JB around to show him the ropes of running a D1 program like with the fundraising and stuff and potentially sharing recruiting contacts.

I'm not saying Beilein is top choice or anything... but my guess is he's like his dad in terms of his coaching style which be fun to watch and I like that he's young. It would be like hiring our own version of Mike Tomlin who was a DB coach before becoming a HC.

Our school is one of the winningest programs in the history of college basketball. I’ll be pretty ticked if they hire “an unknown” and hope for lightening in a bottle. I don’t see Wildhack doing that. HC of men’s basketball is far too important a position to the entire university as a whole.

4 years is a lifetime in CBB coaching too early to make a shortlist and we probably want a sacrificial lamb like Matt Doherety to take over and get canned after 2 years before we hire the long term coach (Hop.)

You don't want to follow the guy you want to follow the guy that followed the guy.

As I have said before, JB's earned the right to retire on his terms. But when he does leave, the AD whoever they are then needs to go completely out of house for the next coach. NO former players or coaches. We are amongst the Top 8 most attractive jobs in the country and we need to act like it.

Cheers,
Neil
Not to beat a dead horse but the chances of the next coach lasting 3 years is going to be small... I think an out of the box hire without the pressure of a reputation would have a better chance of success. I wonder if anyone from the Golden State Warriors would be interested... I do feel those guys just get recycled in the NBA tho.

Loved What I saw from mack vs unc. Think UL got a good one.

Our school is one of the winningest programs in the history of college basketball. I’ll be pretty ticked if they hire “an unknown” and hope for lightening in a bottle. I don’t see Wildhack doing that. HC of men’s basketball is far too important a position to the entire university as a whole.
We did a damn good job with that approach with Babers... he was not really on any of the bluebloods radars when we hired him. And no Missouri is not a blueblood in college football like we are in hoops. It's not about the resume, it's about getting the perfect fit like we did w/ Dino. I want that under the radar coach who would be the best coach for the program... like the dude from Loyola or the Buffalo coach (tho he's a dick so please not him) or any one of the numerous up and coming guys out there. I'd love to see a list of coaches who went from a strong program to an elite one and actually succeeded: Calipari, Roy, Self, Howland (before he self-destructed)... Bennett (actually would we have considered him to be worthy of an elite job?), the sweaty guy from Arizona, anyone else?

4 years is a lifetime in CBB coaching too early to make a shortlist and we probably want a sacrificial lamb like Matt Doherety to take over and get canned after 2 years before we hire the long term coach (Hop.)

You don't want to follow the guy you want to follow the guy that followed the guy.

With 5 years and counting of mediocre basketball, how much pressure is there really going to be? Our powerhouse teams are going to be a friggin decade in the rear view mirror. It’s not like Doherty taking over a powerhouse perennial top 5 UNC.