When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list?

No former SU players (unless its Hop)
No legacies
No sons of coaches (if you know who the father is, I rule out the son)

I don't know who is on the short list, but I hope the change in coaches happens sooner than later. I have been a big Boeheim fan forever but in my opinion the game has changed and he refuses to change with it.

I don't know who is on the short list, but I hope the change in coaches happens sooner than later. I have been a big Boeheim fan forever but in my opinion the game has changed and he refuses to change with it.
How so? Serious question.

How so? Serious question.

The game is more focused on the outside shot where there are more athletes who are able to make the three pointer or cut to the hole. It s no longer about big guys banging inside. Running strickly a zone is useless. For once I would love to see Boeheim actually take some blame on how poorly we are playing, it is always poor execution. It seems to be like there is no offensive plays being run. I am sure there actually is but whatever plays they are running are not working. Change it up and try something different.
How does a team practice against a zone all the time and not have a clue how to run an effective play against it?

My short list
Providence HC Ed Cooley( 5 NCAAT appearances in a row at Providence)

Boston Celtics lead assistant Jay Larranaga (He is the real deal IMO others know my position on him and disagree for other valid reasons)

Red Autry- if any current staff member deserves consideration it’s him.

Not sure who else because I don’t want a midmajor coach.

As for the "stepping stone" remarks, our job is in the ACC in a facility that is the largest in the country, with a fan base that outdraws most NBA teams. Our basketball program generates a lot of revenue and has a following up and down the east coast to the extent that we take over most out of town arenas, and you hear our fans at the opposing arena with a "let's go Orange" chant almost every game. We sell something like Top 5 in NCAA merchandise, or at least we did in the not-so-distant past. Our alumni are all over the media. This is not some backwater BS second rate job. We had better do a serious search and not just turn it over to a an untested assistant.

All you say is true.

But unfortunately, none of it matters all that much. A "hot" coach, who likely has other alternatives, is not going to be asking "How much merchandise fo they sell".

Instead, he's more likely to be asking about the do-ability of the task than the average attendance:

1. Can I win there against ACC competition? Can I do as well or better than Boeheim was doing? (Because that's the floor on the expectations)
2. What happens if I don't? How much time do I have to install my system? (How much time will it take to install my system, if it is significantly different from Boeheim's approach?)
3. How hard is it going to be to recruit given the current competitive landscape.
4. How much will I be paid and under what Terms and Conditions.
5. Will my family like it there or will my wife start complaining the day after the moving truck leaves?

Georgetown went through it's list of "Coaches we would like to have" pretty quickly, finding out --- to the shock and surprise of their fans --- that none of them wanted the job. They finally had to twist Ewing's arm to take it.

I'd say confidence in how this is going to work out is unwarranted.

My short list
Providence HC Ed Cooley( 5 NCAAT appearances in a row at Providence)

Boston Celtics lead assistant Jay Larranaga (He is the real deal IMO others know my position on him and disagree for other valid reasons)

Red Autry- if any current staff member deserves consideration it’s him.

Not sure who else because I don’t want a midmajor coach.

Autry will probably be offered a mid-major job very soon. Doubtful he's still here in 3 years.

Joe Biden is running for president and he is 80, and Jim is 73 and in great health. Sooo, JB will be the coach for many, many years to come.

Love Buzz Williams... don't think he gets enough credit nationally, but his teams can make things difficult for anybody.
Main reason is how hard his players play for him. You can tell the VT kids love Buzz, and love playing for him. Diving on the ground, tough defense, going after the loose balls... You know, things we rarely see from these recent JB teams. Buzz coaches his kids blue-collar style. And VT is top-15. I think he could do that, and better, at SU, by getting even more talented players to come to Syracuse.

Joe Biden is running for president and he is 80, and Jim is 73 and in great health. Sooo, JB will be the coach for many, many years to come.
OMG please stop trolling. You don’t believe this and are just trying to generate reactions please stop with this.
JB at most is going to coach till Buddy graduates. You know that, I know that and anyone who follows SU hoops closely knows this.
If the program wasn’t in its 5th straight medicore regular season nobody outside of the extreme fringe would be complaining. We are mediocre and the question isn’t how long does JB want to coach its can JB be nudged to make some changes.

Maybe not a popular name on this site, but I would give Buzz Williams a call
Why would he leave VaTech? He's established himself there and is making good money. Plus, the expectations are low there. He's in a good spot.

Why would he leave VaTech? He's established himself there and is making good money. Plus, the expectations are low there. He's in a good spot.
He could win a NC at SU he won’t win a NC at VPI.
Our facilities and fanbase help with recruiting if we actually use them.
I wouldn’t want Buzz though.

OMG please stop trolling. You don’t believe this and are just trying to generate reactions please stop with this.
JB at most is going to coach till Buddy graduates. You know that, I know that and anyone who follows SU hoops closely knows this.
If the program wasn’t in its 5th straight medicore regular season nobody outside of the extreme fringe would be complaining. We are mediocre and the question isn’t how long does JB want to coach its can JB be nudged to make some changes.
The program is still getting back on track from the sanctions and once it does, Jim will remain the coach for longer than you think.

He could win a NC at SU he won’t win a NC at VPI.
Our facilities and fanbase help with recruiting if we actually use them.
I wouldn’t want Buzz though.
Im not saying he will or won't, but they have a better shot at a NC over the next 4 years than we do. Our program is currently in the state of a full porta-john at the end of a summer music festival and it's not likely to improve anytime soon.

The program is still getting back on track from the sanctions and once it does, Jim will remain the coach for longer than you think.
Okay you have decided to continue to troll.

Im not saying he will or won't, but they have a better shot at a NC over the next 4 years than we do. Our program is currently in the state of a full porta-john at the end of a summer music festival and it's not likely to improve anytime soon.
I would predict JB will have more NCAAT wins than Buzz as long as JB continues coaching.
The problem is I don’t trust the regular seasons will be enjoyable and more than just bubble seasons.

Okay you have decided to continue to troll.
This season started out on a bad leg, literally. If Frank was 100% to start the season, we don't lose those games in the Garden and we probably don't lose these other games either. This is still working through and when it does, this team will turn the corner and be a contender. It would be great to start tonite, but it may take several more weeks.

Last edited:
This season started out on a bad leg, literally. If Frank was 100% to start the season, we don't lose those games in the Garden and we probably don't lose these other games either. This is still working through and when it does, this team will turn the corner and be a contender. It would be great to start tonite, but it may tale several more weeks.
Not going to happen. Last year ACC coaches raved about SU’s defense and how Chucho was the reason for their success. He can’t stay on the floor this year. Howard and Battle has shown little interest in guarding anyone and OB has failed to show up. All he wants to do is his little dance after he makes a dunk. This team forgot how hard they had to play last year. With that, they still lost 14 games.

This season started out on a bad leg, literally. If Frank was 100% to start the season, we don't lose those games in the Garden and we probably don't lose these other games either. This is still working through and when it does, this team will turn the corner and be a contender. It would be great to start tonite, but it may tale several more weeks.
OMG, how long do we have to listen to this Howard's ankle bs? There is no more time to "turn the corner". If he doesn't stick it up and go all out, he needs to be a sub. This team has to start winning now or playing like a "contender" won't mean a thing in March unless we somehow win the ACCT.
Excuses are just excuses.

OMG, how long do we have to listen to this Howard's ankle bs? There is no more time to "turn the corner". If he doesn't stick it up and go all out, he needs to be a sub. This team has to start winning now or playing like a "contender" won't mean a thing in March unless we somehow win the ACCT.
Excuses are just excuses.
He's the PG/QB/Boss of the team. We go how he goes. I would rather he goes 60% now and gets to 90+% by March, than he goes 80% now and is at 0% percent in March because he re-injred himself. Patience Grasshopper.