When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list?

LOL, guy hasn’t won anything at eastern Michigan if you thinks it’s bad now, SU needs to get an established coach from P5 of big east not anyone with relation to Boeheim except hop and I don’t think he’d come back

Sarcasm post. I am not serious.

With 5 years and counting of mediocre basketball, how much pressure is there really going to be? Our powerhouse teams are going to be a friggin decade in the rear view mirror. It’s not like Doherty taking over a powerhouse perennial top 5 UNC.

Well that is a different scenario.

If we are elbowing JB out the door it becomes a little easier b/c if we are not he is involved in choosing the coach.

If we tell him hes out while Buddy is still here I go Ed Cooley. Hop is on speed dial for if that doesn't take off and he wants to leave UW.

If Nova can't get back to the level they were on the 3 seasons prior to this Wright might be an option but hes only leaving if his own program isn't headed in the right direction.

Now here is the kicker about elbowing JB out the door. I don't want to do it. BUT... if you are going to do it after this season is likely the best time because you will be giving the new guy something unique and interesting to work with they'd get a team that made the sweet 16 2 years ago and is now 2 years older. I think that is a little too bold of a move. I don't think .500 in the ACC warrants firing. I don't think we can demand more of the next coach.

Take a look at the current top 25. Find the 18-20 b-ball programs that aren’t as good of jobs as Syracuse. Eliminate the guys that are too old, the lifers, The alums that wouldn’t leave, etc. Go from there.

Take a look at the current top 25. Find the 18-20 b-ball programs that aren’t as good of jobs as Syracuse. Eliminate the guys that are too old, the lifers, The alums that wouldn’t leave, etc. Go from there.

Next step, eliminate any West Coast, Texas or SEC guys.

You need somebody who can recruit the northeast or the midwest, and has coached there successfully.

You don't want some young coach from the South whose wife wants to move away after her first winter here.

Hop.

Otherwise - a Brad Stevens type.
Who is a Brad Stevens type?

'Let's see Wildhack find another Stevens. You think Stevens grow on trees? Well, they don't - there is no Stevens Tree. You think the world is crawling with Stevens? Show me that farm...with Brads and Stevens...sprouting up all over the place, ripe for the plucking...Show me that farm.'*

Seriously, though—not so easy to identify them. Everyone was on the Shaka Smart train, and now they're not. Who else was hot for a minute? Andy Enfield? I agree, though—we should be looking for the next young prodigy. The Theo Epstein or Brad Stevens. But, we also are going to have to be prepared to pay real money, not the hometown discounts JB had been accepting, if we want to keep him and not have us be a stepping stone.

* Branch Closing Quotes

Last edited:

'Seriously, though—not so easy to identify them. Everyone was on the Shaka Smart train, and now they're not. Who else was hot for a minute? Andy Enfield? I agree, though—we should be looking for the next young prodigy. The Theo Epstein or Brad Stevens. But, we also are going to have to be prepared to pay real money, not the hometown discounts JB had been accepting, if we want to keep him and not have us be a stepping stone.

Branch Closing Quotes
Amanda Enfield?

Last edited:
I remember when Josh Pastner was considered one of the big up and coming coaches when Memphis got him after Calipari.

Up and comers are always difficult to assess,

I would have liked a Chris Mack type before he went to Louisville -- not sure if our wallets are big enough. Gregg Marshall is having a down year with Wichita St, but if he was not just a knob I would have been interested.

You are crazy if you think Few or Beilein are leaving Gonzaga or Michigan.

Seriously, though—not so easy to identify them. Everyone was on the Shaka Smart train, and now they're not. Who else was hot for a minute? Andy Enfield? I agree, though—we should be looking for the next young prodigy. The Theo Epstein or Brad Stevens. But, we also are going to have to be prepared to pay real money, not the hometown discounts JB had been accepting, if we want to keep him and not have us be a stepping stone.

Branch Closing Quotes

Hopefully football may be able to support the second sport at SU, the basketball program.

'Let's see Wildhack find another Stevens. You think Stevens grow on trees? Well, they don't - there is no Stevens Tree. You think the world is crawling with Stevens? Show me that farm...with Brads and Stevens...sprouting up all over the place, ripe for the plucking...Show me that farm.'*

* Branch Closing Quotes

As for the "stepping stone" remarks, our job is in the ACC in a facility that is the largest in the country, with a fan base that outdraws most NBA teams. Our basketball program generates a lot of revenue and has a following up and down the east coast to the extent that we take over most out of town arenas, and you hear our fans at the opposing arena with a "let's go Orange" chant almost every game. We sell something like Top 5 in NCAA merchandise, or at least we did in the not-so-distant past. Our alumni are all over the media. This is not some backwater BS second rate job. We had better do a serious search and not just turn it over to a an untested assistant.

Maybe not a popular name on this site, but I would give Buzz Williams a call

I hate watching that meathead spaz out all game well outside the coaching box... he's like a human cartoon.

... then has no voice for the presser after yelling at the top of his lungs all game.

But he is a decent coach.

I remember when Josh Pastner was considered one of the big up and coming coaches when Memphis got him after Calipari.

Up and comers are always difficult to assess,

I would have liked a Chris Mack type before he went to Louisville -- not sure if our wallets are big enough. Gregg Marshall is having a down year with Wichita St, but if he was not just a knob I would have been interested.

You are crazy if you think Few or Beilein are leaving Gonzaga or Michigan.

Gregg Marshall is in his 50s and makes $3M a year at Wichita State. He's never leaving that job, or if it does, it won't be for Syracuse.

Gregg Marshall is in his 50s and makes $3M a year at Wichita State. He's never leaving that job, or if it does, it won't be for Syracuse.

Hes 7-8 this year.

If this board were Shockers they'd probably demand he be fired. JB has a better body of work even recently.

There can’t be a list when hes not retiring for Atleast 3 more years when Buddy graduates.

I hate watching that meathead spaz out all game well outside the coaching box... he's like a human cartoon.

... then has no voice for the presser after yelling at the top of his lungs all game.

But he is a decent coach.

If Buzz were coaching SU, we would forget all that very quickly.

We'd be rooting for him to do a takedown of Danny Hurley at midcourt.

And then demonizing the journalists who criticized him for it.

Bruce Pearl it is

As for the "stepping stone" remarks, our job is in the ACC in a facility that is the largest in the country, with a fan base that outdraws most NBA teams. Our basketball program generates a lot of revenue and has a following up and down the east coast to the extent that we take over most out of town arenas, and you hear our fans at the opposing arena with a "let's go Orange" chant almost every game. We sell something like Top 5 in NCAA merchandise, or at least we did in the not-so-distant past. Our alumni are all over the media. This is not some backwater BS second rate job. We had better do a serious search and not just turn it over to a an untested assistant.
My "stepping stone" remark was in consideration of a coach who might now be performing at a small school but has ties to/is an alum of a big time program. So, no matter in what esteem you hold Syracuse, there might still be an allure to go back to his alma mater or even a big-paying big hometown state school. And again, remember that we haven't been paying industry standard wages to our head coach. So, yeah, someone could consider our job a CV toward more money, or even a pro gig.

Christ. I didn't need the Cuse P.R. bullet point rundown. Wish everyone weren't so damned sensitive. Can't say anything without someone thinking you're dissing the orange. Word? You gotta step to me an' protec' yo' rep? Relax.

My "stepping stone" remark was in consideration of a coach who might now be performing at a small school but has ties to/is an alum of a big time program. So, no matter in what esteem you hold Syracuse, there might still be an allure to go back to his alma mater or even a big-paying big hometown state school. And again, remember that we haven't been paying industry standard wages to our head coach. So, yeah, someone could consider our job a CV toward more money, or even a pro gig.

Christ. I didn't need the Cuse P.R. bullet point rundown. Wish everyone weren't so damned sensitive. Can't say anything without someone thinking you're dissing the orange. Word? You gotta step to me an' protec' yo' rep? Relax.

Anything is possible.

But the Syracuse University Basketball HC job is hardly a stepping stone position - not even close