When JB retires will Wildhack go outside of the program for our next HC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

When JB retires will Wildhack go outside of the program for our next HC

Anyone who thinks we could get Jay Wright is smoking crack. No way no how.

We have about the same chance of having John Wooden coaching for us after JB as Wright.

I don't mind when people talk like that, quickly tells me on how serious to take them.

Maybe.

But there are people who believe it or say they believe it.

It's not an unusual phenomenon for the fans of teams to have a greatly inflated vision of just how attractive the job of running their favorite program is.

Just as there are people that somehow can't see that to premium recruits their school isn't as attractive a place to play as they think it is.

It's a huge gamble.

Football isn't that much different. It takes longer than basketball to have an impact.

Just look at the number of colleges that have gone through coach after coach after coach looking to somehow find the magic answer to the problem.

You think the SU fans on here complaining about JB are going to be happy with a Mark Turgeon?

No, they want Jay Wright. And they make this suggestion with a straight face, convinced that Jay Wright would leave Villanova --- where he has the ball really rolling --- to come to a post-JB Syracuse because we have 22K at a game versus 15K?

I think the college football landscape today is one that we’ll struggle to compete in, no matter who the coach.

Hoops I think our brand will help us recover if we hire a dud. I hear what you’re saying though. Look at Indiana. They should be a perennial blue blood and they are still looking for the right formula.

I guess I’m in denial that it could happen here, but it’s going to be awhile before we find out.

This is the first time I've seen others mention Buzz Williams as a potential candidate to coach SU when JB steps down. I have mentioned Buzz as a coach I'd like to see replace JB ever since Hop left for Washington. I had the opportunity to speak with him a few years ago while at the final four in Atlanta. He has won at both Marquette and Virginia Tech, and has proven to be a great leader and developer of young men. I liked when he brought in veterans to speak to his team about respecting the national anthem and I like his tradition of inviting a local coach to the teams breakfast when at away games.

I would hope Syracuse would reach out to Hop first, but I think that ship has sailed as he is in a very good position. After Hop, Syracuse could go in several different directions for a new coach, but at this time, my vote would be for Buzz.
We've definitely discussed Buzz. A few times. He's one of my top choices of someone who's 'gettable' and could thrive with our resources and legacy.

The posters on here who think finding and convincing a really top prospective coach is going to be easy, don't know what they are talking about. It's a huge crapshoot.

We have top notch resources, are located within easy travel distance of a major talent footprint where we have recruited for literally 3 or 4 generations. We have the biggest arena in the country, we play in the ACC, we have great attendance, we have reasonably strong academics and a great alumni network. We are an ESPN staple, and our alumni are spread across the sports media and general media of the entire country. We can get a legit coach who will want to run with that.

We have top notch resources, are located within easy travel distance of a major talent footprint where we have recruited for literally 3 or 4 generations. We have the biggest arena in the country, we play in the ACC, we have great attendance, we have reasonably strong academics and a great alumni network. We are an ESPN staple, and our alumni are spread across the sports media and general media of the entire country. We can get a legit coach who will want to run with that.

Yeah, that all sounds great.

But there are lots of schools that have have superior situations that aren't being all that successful or who have failed to recapture earlier glories (e.g. Indiana).

In comparison to Syracuse, there are literally dozen of schools that are in much better locations in major metros with more to do and/or in balmier climes. And they have a lot more basketball talent in their areas.

Much bigger schools have many more alumni.

The biggest arena in the country is not even really an arena. It's one end of a football field which was not designed to be a basketball venue.

We are an ESPN staple because we generally win. If we stop winning, we'll get the same exposure as BC.

When I think of schools like Maryland, I'm amazed at what SU has been able to do. Because in my mind Maryland has huge advantages over Syracuse by being in DC, being a big state school, having a great on campus facility and a big fan base filled with some big-time contributors.

I have no idea what will happen when JB decides to retire. But I am not overly optimistic.

q
I think Tom Crean should be the man. Brought Marquette to a final four, got Indiana back to a #1 seed only to get a tough matchup in the tournament, and is a great kisser.
I Want a Syracuse man leading Syracuse basketball.
To quote-ish Bo Schemblechler.

I live in RI. Best coach in the A10, Dan Hurley - only if he stays another 4 yrs. Recruits well, teams play very hard. Combustible sideline temperament.

I live in RI. Best coach in the A10, Dan Hurley - only if he stays another 4 yrs. Recruits well, teams play very hard. Combustible sideline temperament.
Matt McCall says hi.

Jay Wright is a great coach.

Jay Wright will be 60 when JAB walks out the door with Buddy in March/April of 2022.

Would not be a prudent hire.

Jay Wright is a great coach.

Jay Wright will be 60 when JAB walks out the door with Buddy in March/April of 2022.

Would not be a prudent hire.

Wait, are you saying we could get Wright if we wanted to, but we shouldn't? If so, you just added an extra layer of crazy on this.

It's not an unusual phenomenon for the fans of teams to have a greatly inflated vision of just how attractive the job of running their favorite program is.

But I feel like there's a healthy, pragmatic middle ground between (a) the side of the spectrum that you're on which is basically North Korean-esque loyalty towards JB, and (b) the side of the spectrum of people who think Jay Wright would come here.

But I feel like there's a healthy, pragmatic middle ground between (a) the side of the spectrum that you're on which is basically North Korean-esque loyalty towards JB, and (b) the side of the spectrum of people who think Jay Wright would come here.

Sorry, I can't see these positions as any being opposites. They just aren't on the same plane.

Maybe there are some who are both pretty constant critics of everything (when they are frustrated after losses) AND who also believe that this is a plum job that would attract the best candidates after he leaves.

I am in the camp that feels that JB hasn't forgotten how to coach and that he has forgotten more about coaching than any of these self-appointed "experts" will ever know. And that he wants to win more than any of these people who start searching for who to blame after any loss.

I don't think I am wrong when I say that much of the current team woes were things that were really out of his control. There are, after all, 100+ other programs that also want to win and every kid we do recruit is kind of a crap shoot.

The success of the SU basketball program has to me been a triumph of the unlikely over the likely. I remember the late 60's and early 1970's when SU was lucky to get on the ECAC game of the week. Three things happened to change that, JB, the Big East and more games on TV on ESPN especially Big Monday and the BET.

The old Big East is gone and there are now more college basketball games on that any one game is lost in the crowd.

Those who think it can never go back to being just another Northeastern program don't get it. I'll bet if you asked the average SU football fan in 2000 what the chances were of SU falling to the bottom of the stack of Eastern teams for 15 years, he would't have believed it.

I imagine anyone’s list will look very different in 5 years when Boeheim actually retires, than it does now.
There is a material chance Wildhack will be gone before Boeheim