When JB retires will Wildhack go outside of the program for our next HC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

When JB retires will Wildhack go outside of the program for our next HC

This is the first time I've seen others mention Buzz Williams as a potential candidate to coach SU when JB steps down. I have mentioned Buzz as a coach I'd like to see replace JB ever since Hop left for Washington. I had the opportunity to speak with him a few years ago while at the final four in Atlanta. He has won at both Marquette and Virginia Tech, and has proven to be a great leader and developer of young men. I liked when he brought in veterans to speak to his team about respecting the national anthem and I like his tradition of inviting a local coach to the teams breakfast when at away games.

I would hope Syracuse would reach out to Hop first, but I think that ship has sailed as he is in a very good position. After Hop, Syracuse could go in several different directions for a new coach, but at this time, my vote would be for Buzz.

We can do better is what the fan base of every program says.

Georgetown just conducted a huge search with a bunch of top prospects targeted.

In the end Patrick Ewing was the only one who would take the job.

Georgetown is not in the ACC.

Georgetown does not have an on-campus stadium of merit.

Georgetown is not in the top two in attendance every year.

Georgetown does not have the money in its athletics department to do what we can.

Georgetown is not in the ACC.

Georgetown does not have an on-campus stadium of merit.

Georgetown is not in the top two in attendance every year.

Georgetown does not have the money in its athletics department to do what we can.

I just used them as an example to demonstrate that fan bases almost always exaggerate the attractiveness of their programs and think they will lure the best candidates.

But Georgetown is in a major metro area surrounded by some of the best recruiting areas in the country.

It’s a much better location for student-athletes. More to do. more variety and more fun.

The Verizon Center is as convenient to the majority of fans as the Dome is.

Georgetown’s basketball program is as storied as SU,

Georgetown is a much better academic school than Syracuse.

You are overstating SU’s competitive position for hot coaches.

Yes, Bobby Hurley s doing great at Arizona State this year and did pretty well at Buffalo, but either one of the Hurley brothers would be a good solid choice, especially for recruiting the traditional Northeast corridor and especially NJ; Danny hasn't done badly for himself as a head coach, either, and we are talking about 4 years from now, unless the wheels absolutely fall off.

There's Will Wade, who just went to LSU after being at VCU, and having been on Shaka Smart's staff. He's still pretty young, and we are projecting maybe a job in between before our position opens up.

Archie Miller has done a terrific job at Dayton, and he's only 39 years old. He might be the best candidate out there, since he has already been at Dayton for something like 6 or 7 years, showing the ability to put out a consistently good product and get along with people.

Any other thoughts?

Yes, Bobby iHurley s doing great at Arizona State this year and did pretty well at Buffalo, but either one of the Hurley brothers would be a good solid choice, especially for recruiting the traditional Northeast corridor and especially NJ; Danny hasn't done badly for himself as a head coach, either, and we are talking about 4 years from now, unless the wheels absolutely fall off.

There's Will Wade, who just went to LSU after being at VCU, and having been on Shaka Smart's staff. He's still pretty young, and we are projecting maybe a job in between before our position opens up.

Archie Miller has done a terrific job at Dayton, and he's only 39 years old. He might be the best candidate out there, since he has already been at Dayton for something like 6 or 7 years, showing the ability to put out a consistently good product and get along with people.

Any other thoughts?
Archie Miller coaches at Indiana, homie...

Archie Miller coaches at Indiana, homie...

Sorry, one move behind. I don't follow college hoops as much as I used to. Still, I think he would be a really interesting choice. Remember, this is supposed to be 4 years from now.

Funny thing about change. Sometimes things get better. Sometimes things stay the same. And many times things get worse ... even way worse.

But at least you won't be bored.
So true but change is inevitable and it will be the single most important decision the athletic department head will have to make. Lets hope its a good one.

Yes, Bobby Hurley s doing great at Arizona State this year and did pretty well at Buffalo, but either one of the Hurley brothers would be a good solid choice, especially for recruiting the traditional Northeast corridor and especially NJ; Danny hasn't done badly for himself as a head coach, either, and we are talking about 4 years from now, unless the wheels absolutely fall off.

Any other thoughts?
Miller is solid

I just used them as an example to demonstrate that fan bases almost always exaggerate the attractiveness of their programs and think they will lure the best candidates.

But Georgetown is in a major metro area surrounded by some of the best recruiting areas in the country.

It’s a much better location for student-athletes. More to do. more variety and more fun.

The Verizon Center is as convenient to the majority of fans as the Dome is.

Georgetown’s basketball program is as storied as SU,

Georgetown is a much better academic school than Syracuse.

You are overstating SU’s competitive position for hot coaches.

I think you’re understating it. But that’s just an opinion. We won’t know for another 10 years or so.

I’m of the opinion that JB built a brand, one that will have the opportunity to hire from a talented, interested, pool.

I think Georgetown’s dual problem was that they figured they had their new lifetime coach in JTIII. The fan base turning on him and the old man watching over probably limits their pool.

Will we face that same issue with JB hovering over his own legacy?

Not looking to overstate Syracuse’s position.

Looking to show that we can get a higher caliber coach than Buzz. Buzz hasn’t proven much inbyears and is far from a rising talent.

JB will stay as long as he wants to.

SU basketball truly is the goose that lays the golden eggs on the Hill. SU basketball is offsetting a very mediocre football program and helping fund the rest of the SU athletic program.

If SU basketball goes into a funk, it has serious, serious ramifications for the school.

Nobody at SU is going to take the risk that they can hire a successor that will even be as successful as JB, let alone more successful.

That is, even with the assurances of random Internet posters that this is a plum job and that SU would have no problem doing as well or even upgrading the program through some sort of outstanding new hire.

I think I remember the same sort of confidence from posters at the end of the MacPherson - Pasqualoni era after one bad and two mediocre seasons. The fate could easily befall SU basketball.

One of the few things that Crouthamel said that I thought was intelligent was his observation that these programs are "fragile". They are kept afloat by perceptions and once these perceptions change from positive to negative, its extremely difficult to change them.

I think you’re understating it. But that’s just an opinion. We won’t know for another 10 years or so.

I’m of the opinion that JB built a brand, one that will have the opportunity to hire from a talented, interested, pool.

I think Georgetown’s dual problem was that they figured they had their new lifetime coach in JTIII. The fan base turning on him and the old man watching over probably limits their pool.

Will we face that same issue with JB hovering over his own legacy?

The SU football "brand" was pretty good in 2000. Within a few years it was in the toilet and hasn't hardly recovered.

We can do better is what the fan base of every program says.

Georgetown just conducted a huge search with a bunch of top prospects targeted.

In the end Patrick Ewing was the only one who would take the job.

Interesting coming from you. You've posted here many, many times about the inner sanctums that is Georgetown University, along with the stranglehold that Big John T has on this G'Town program. Well then, if true Ewing was the only one that would take the job, that shouldn't surprise anyone then, not even you. ;)

The SU football "brand" was pretty good in 2000. Within a few years it was in the toilet and hasn't hardly recovered.

Do you think that's a strong possibility with our hoops program after JB hangs them up?

I think college football is an entirely different animal.

A lot of valid points on both sides of the argument. The next hire will be Billy Fucillo
huge. We screw it up and things could get very ugly for the program.

4-5 years from now a lot will have changed so its hard to predict these things.

Interesting coming from you. You've posted here many, many times about the inner sanctums that is Georgetown University, along with the stranglehold that Big John T has on this G'Town program. Well then, if true Ewing was the only one that would take the job, that shouldn't surprise anyone then, not even you. ;)

There were two factions involved here. One was a faction of very powerful alums that wanted a complete break with the Thompsons and the Thompson era. I believe the head of the Search effort was one of those guys.

There are a lot --- a really lot --- of GU alms who thought that the Thompsons had kidnapped the Georgetown Basketball program and made it into the Thompson Basketball program.

So they went forth with this coach recruiting effort promising that the Thompsons would no longer be a force. They knew JT Jr could make it nasty, but they had had enough.

What happened that no one they actually wanted would interview for or take the job. Those that would take the job, they weren't interested in (Re-treads, people with thin resumes, etc.) Some of that MAY have been becuase the propects didn't beleive these people that they would keep JT Jr at bay and that he wouldn't be a problem for a new coach. But those assurances were given.

So in the end and almost by default, the Thompsons got who they wanted, although Ewing has promised to not have JT Jr involved in the program. (For example, he won't be in the locker room like he was with JT III as coach)

The posters on here who think finding and convincing a really top prospective coach is going to be easy, don't know what they are talking about. It's a huge crapshoot.

Do you think that's a strong possibility with our hoops program after JB hangs them up?

I think college football is an entirely different animal.

It's a huge gamble.

Football isn't that much different. It takes longer than basketball to have an impact.

Just look at the number of colleges that have gone through coach after coach after coach looking to somehow find the magic answer to the problem.

You think the SU fans on here complaining about JB are going to be happy with a Mark Turgeon?

No, they want Jay Wright. And they make this suggestion with a straight face, convinced that Jay Wright would leave Villanova --- where he has the ball really rolling --- to come to a post-JB Syracuse because we have 22K at a game versus 15K?