When was the last time...? | Syracusefan.com

When was the last time...?

Eric15

Living Legend
When was the last time we played that complete of a game (offense/defense/special teams) against a legitimately good opponent?

2008 ND? They were relatively mediocre.
2007 Louisville? They were ranked when we played them, but ended up sucking.
2004 BC? I'm leaning towards this game as my answer.
2002 VT? We scored a lot of points, but it wasn't a great defensive effort by us.
2001 VT? Great defense and special teams, stagnant offense.

I think I'd have to go with 2004 BC as they were one game from the BCS and we really handed it to them. Therefore, I think last night was Syracuse's most complete effort in 7 years.

WV last year.

We won that game because of good defense and forced turnovers. Other than an early Van Chew TD catch, we couldn't move the ball and only could get field goals.

Initially I thought maybe WV last year but the offense wasn't there. I remember blowing out Miami at the end of the McNabb years ... I haven't enjoyed a game as much since then to be honest.

Initially I thought maybe WV last year but the offense wasn't there. I remember blowing out Miami at the end of the McNabb years ... I haven't enjoyed a game as much since then to be honest.
The 2004 Diamond Ferri v. BC win was my most enjoyable. Seeing the faces of the BC fans as their world melted is something I will cherish till my dying day.

When was the last time we played that complete of a game (offense/defense/special teams) against a legitimately good opponent?

2002 VT? We scored a lot of points, but it wasn't a great defensive effort by us.

I think I'd have to go with 2004 BC as they were one game from the BCS and we really handed it to them. Therefore, I think last night was Syracuse's most complete effort in 7 years.
I think it's the best win since 2001 VT.
BC was a meaningful and satisfying win but they weren't considered clearly better than SU. i don't know what the line was that day.

they beat a top 15 team and it wasn't lucky bounces or anything goofy. they knew they could rattle smith and they did. perfectly executed game plan

BC was awesome but Ferri went superman. no criticism of the other players on that team, but there's something special about a win where so many guys were mvps.

2001, winning in blacksburg back then was incredible...

fun topic though!

For me it was probably Michigan in '98. That was a beat down and a complete team effort.

I think it's the best win since 2001 VT.
BC was a meaningful and satisfying win but they weren't considered clearly better than SU. i don't know what the line was that day.

they beat a top 15 team and it wasn't lucky bounces or anything goofy. they knew they could rattle smith and they did. perfectly executed game plan

BC was awesome but Ferri went superman. no criticism of the other players on that team, but there's something special about a win where so many guys were mvps.

2001, winning in blacksburg back then was incredible...

fun topic though!

Millhouse,

I agree with you that this was our biggest win since 2001 VT, but my question was when was the last time we had that complete of an offensive, defensive and special teams performance against a quality opponent. Where everything came together and clicked.

2001 VT the defense and special teams were fantastic, but the offense only managed 220 total yards and 10 points. RJ Anderson was 6/17 for 52 yards.

Millhouse,

I agree with you that this was our biggest win since 2001 VT, but my question was when was the last time we had that complete of an offensive, defensive and special teams performance against a quality opponent. Where everything came together and clicked.

2001 VT the defense and special teams were fantastic, but the offense only managed 220 total yards and 10 points. RJ Anderson was 6/17 for 52 yards.
yeah, that's right. i gave infinite bonus points to winning in blacksburg and threw everything else out

i can't believe we're having this conversation (in a good way)

Yeah, that was an epic ass-beating. Huge payback for the torment they put on us in the then-recent past. Exorcised a lot of demons in that game, laying over 60 points on the Canes on national TV. Ah, those were the days !!

Miami 1998

Serious. That we the last time Syracuse was dominant in all phases against a good team, and Miami wasn't that good.

Fon unranked over ranked in a 3-phase beatdown. VT with Drukenmiller in 1996 we trashed 52-21. Florida 1991.

Not many. That was such a great effort by our boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom