Where Are We From/Fan History. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Where Are We From/Fan History.

I was born in Albany in 1976 and grew up in Clifton Park. My father is a big Syracuse fan. He grew up in South Onondaga and Pulaski. I have vague Syracuse memories from a very early age. I remember the Villanova cheerleader breaking her neck. Does anyone remember what year that was? By the time Pearl Washington came around, I was following the team religiously (even though I was quite young) and haven't stopped since. I've been lurking syracusefan.com since the early 2000s.

I now live in the Rochester area. I usually make it to one or two basketball and games each year. I never miss this team on television or radio. The DVR is helpful.

That was '85 I think and it was an SU Girl who miss counted and hit her head. No broken neck.

Went to SU because it gave me a full scholly (my father was a cop when cops made no money). Never saw the campus until I arrived as a freshman in 1959. Attended all of Ernie Davis' home games ... and attended the 1960 NC football game (Cotton Bowl). Also attended the first basketball game at Manley in 1962 ... and the NC game in New Orleans in 2003. Until proven otherwise, I will say I am the only person in the world with that trifecta.

Have you ever found out if anyone besides you at both the national title games?

That was '85 I think and it was an SU Girl who miss counted and hit her head. No broken neck.

It was 1/17/82 vs. Gerogetown, the first game Patrick Ewing had at the Dome. Her name was Michelle Munn. I just checked the Post Standard archive. She fractured her skull falling from the paramid but survived. An article a year later talks about how she wa snow married and living in Florida and planned on listening to that year's Gerogetown game on the radio.

The 30th anniversary of that near tragedy will be next Tuesday, the day after the Pittsburgh game.

townie East Syracuse-Minoa
First Game Sweet D starred cant remember who they played
Best moments Jimmy Lee jumper beats UNC
Beating UNC for final 4 berth 87
Pearl beats Ewing in the Dome in the Orange smashed on the backboard game
Beating Kansas 96
Hakim block

First game in person was at Manley, probably in the Louis & Bouie years. Began listening on the radio the season after Bill Smith graduated, 1970-71, I believe, and I'm pretty sure we played in the NIT, which was a huge deal, because the NCAA was still only 16 or 32 teams - it was only the conference winners, no multiple bid conferences, and so there were tons of really good teams still in the NIT back then. Kid Kohls was the best guard that so few remember. He had ridiculous shooting range, and our teams ran all day long and press all game. Dennis Duval was another early favorite, along with the Lee Brothers. I went to high school at OCS, and we used to run at Manley for HS track meets and used it as a community practice facility, on certain off-hours.

Our time used to run up against the men's basketball team, and I remember Rosie Bouie having to duck to enter through those doors, with that big Afro of his. I used to run on the wooden indoor track, back when there was still a dirt floor, and the raised court, with the netting to catch guys who fell off the end. A great early memory was that the Sweet 16 game against North Carolina (I always thought it was the Elite 8, but believe I've been wrong about that) - anyway, it was the night of our sports banquet at school, which was held in the gym. Each team would get introduced, there would be individual awards, people would take turns going up on stage, like an awards show, but without the jokes.

Anyway, it was the night of the North Carolina game, and people began sneaking out of the gym to watch on this TV set in the library. This was pre-cable, now, too. So, first a few of us are sitting there and trying to keep quiet, and not draw attention to ourselves. But the longer the game goes on, and as the chance of the upset kept growing, more and more people began flooding into the library until there were about 40 cheering people in there, as Jimmy Lee hit the jumper to win it. Awesome memory.

Lots of great memories of the Georgetown rivalry, like the chair throwing game at the Garden, and Pearl's battles with Ewing. Great, great stuff.

Went to my first Big East tournament the year that we beat Villanova to win, when we still had Sherman and Coleman ('88 or '89?). That was my first experience with a great run in person at a tournament. There have been more memorable games than I can count. But we all have to agree that the first half, in particular, of the 2003 championship game was mind boggling.

I was sitting there, and could not believe what I was seeing, as Gerry McNamara made 3 after 3, and our lead was growing to 12, 15, 17 points in the first half. I could not believe what I was beginning to anticipate. And of course Kansas made that tremendous comeback, bringing back bad memories of '87, in particular, and Hakim blasted it into the seats. What a wonderful experience. My daughter and her girlfriend, when they were like 10 and 8, had bowls of confetti that they patiently tore into tiny little pieces, and let me tell you, it was a wonderful experience to throw that confetti and celebrate that victory.

One before the pine box, as Toga used to say.

Grew up in Central NY and first remember watching (and listening) to SU sports as a kid in the early '70s. When the '74-75 team made the run to the Final Four I was hooked for life. Later attended SU and stuck around long enough to get two degrees. Saw Manley close and the Dome open, and still try to get to a few games each year. But to this day, whenever SU is playing everything else usually takes a backseat and the game becomes my priority.

When the 02-03' team won it all I actually teared up (my family still doesn't understand that) and it felt like a great weight had been lifted. Since then it's all gravy for me as an SU fan, although I wouldn't mind seeing another National Championship banner hanging in the Dome.

As for favorite players, the list is really long and I want to keep this brief, so I won't even try. I just feel fortunate to have witnessed all the great basketball of the Danforth and Boeheim eras.

It was 1/17/82 vs. Gerogetown, the first game Patrick Ewing had at the Dome. Her name was Michelle Munn. I just checked the Post Standard archive. She fractured her skull falling from the paramid but survived. An article a year later talks about how she wa snow married and living in Florida and planned on listening to that year's Gerogetown game on the radio.

The 30th anniversary of that near tragedy will be next Tuesday, the day after the Pittsburgh game.

That must be what I was remembering. I was only 5 at the time. I remember hearing her screams on the television broadcast. It was eerie.

Born in Rochester in 69. Mom grew up on the North Side and went to North High. We moved back to Liverpool in 1978. I went to CBA and then Syracuse for my undergrad degree.

Fondest memories

My father, like many in Syracuse, had a life long hatred of road salt. Growing up, he owned many "winter rats" but my favorite was the 1963 Red VW beetle that he drove for about four years in the early 80's.

That Beetle may have had heat at one time, but at that point in its life, heat was just a distant memory. The only heat that car produced was from a vacuum cleaner hose someone had run from the firewall in a failed attempt to warm the car. When you lifted the floor mats, you could see the road through the rusted out holes in the floor boards. It was the only car I could remember where you had to scrape the ice off the inside of the windsheild before you could drive it.

His boss was a season ticket holder, and he would give my father tickets to SU Basketball games that the bossman was not using. They were never the really good game tickets, usually it was someone like Iona or Fordham. Bossman always kept G'Town and the Big East games for himself.

My father would drive us in that 63 Beetle, with no heat, in zero degree weather to see Fordham or Iona or St. Bonnie's, park down the hill by E. Genesee Street. We would walk up the hill to see Gene Waldron, Raf Addison, Wendall Alexis and Leo Ruatins play in the Dome. We'd stop for a dog at Heids on the way home...Best times of my life

As a side note, prior to moving south, my old man personally delivered a large envelope of road salt, sand and rocks to the Town of Clay supervisor's office after the Town has "salted" his street one afternoon. Ahhh Winter...I miss it so...
Dude - I used to ride in that exact car. Bug - No heat, no floor boards, engine blows up at 70,000 miles.

Born in 1990 in Corning, NY and spent my whole childhood there. My dad got his MBA from Syracuse and I had SU clothing on for as long as I can remember. My mom sent my dad to the store when I really young to get me athletic shoes and told him nothing ridiculous. He got me orange and white little kid sized Air Jordan high tops. She wasn't pleased.
As long as I can remember, I've loved SU sports (except lacrosse). I don't really have any vivid SU basketball memories early on, but do remember getting to meet Rob Konrad in 2000 (?) at a charity event in Elmira. The first time I can clearly remember an SU basketball season was the 02-03 National Championship run. I was just getting old enough to really follow sports and Carmelo Anthony instantly became my favorite player. (What 12/13 year old SU fan wouldn't agree?) My dad and I watched all the major games together and I can remember storming around the house during the OK State game as my father sat calmly on the couch and told me he felt like we had a run in us. I'm glad he was right. We watched all the games leading up to the Final Four and he got called away on business to Germany the Monday morning before the Championship Game. Not only was he gone, but I had no one to talk to about the game during it. My mom fell asleep on the couch during the second half and thought the house was on fire when I woke her up screaming about Warrick's block. I didn't get to talk to my dad until the next day, but watching the Finally Orange DVD with him is still one of the coolest moments we've shared.
My parents still say that from about age 10 or 11 up through high school there was only one college I truly had any interest in going to. I told anyone who would listen that I was going to go to Syracuse. My dad went to RPI for his undergrad, but it was never even a thought. I'm blessed to say I got to go to my dream school, and I'm dying for a Championship to cap off my four years.

Born in 1951 and raised in upstate NY so I've been around a while. During HS I remember an informal shoot around at HS and some guy came walking through the gym in a 3 piece suit, he saw me and challenged me to a game of one on one. He removed his shoes and played in his socks! He was very clumsy but big. I took him to the "woodshed", something like 21-2.. Later I asked someone who the guy was and they said Larry Czonka! I said who is Larry Czonka? It wasn't until a few days later when I told my Dad who I played that I learned he was a very good football player at Syracuse. I think it was his senior year and he had come to our town to speak to students. (I know I've told it before, but I do tend to repeat myself)

Moved to Syracuse at 18 and lived on Butternut St, Harrison St (I think it was Harrison - near Comstock) and right on Marshall St for about 6months in an apt near Carrols (I think it's Manny's now). Here's a photo from the time I was there. Anyone remember Carrols on Marshall St? God knows, I lived on Club Burgers! How about Ted's?
marshallst.jpg

Moved to Rochester in 1971 and married the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. Started to become infatuated with SU hoops in 1974 when they came to Rochester and pounded the UofR. Rudy Hackett with 20/13 in that game. But never actually went to a game until 12-29-1978 when we beat Illinois St at Manley 82-72. (thanks orangehoops.org). Been to a lot of games BB, FB and LAX since but am not a regular since it's a pretty long drive from Rochester. Manley was truly a great arena, when the students would stomp those bleachers, the noise was deafening!

Have rarely missed a hoops game since 1974 whether it was attending, watching on TV or listening on the radio. One of my favorite games other than 6-ot or Kansas '03 was at Purdue in 1980. We were undefeated but ranked lower than Joe Barry Carroll and the Boilermakers. Syracuse 66 - Purdue 61. The hype for that game was off the wall! Louis Orr, Roosevelt Bouie, Tony "red" Bruin, Marty Head, Eric Santifer, Ron Payton, Hal Cohen.. what a team that was!

-In my early 30s
-Vaguely remember waching the '87 Final in Oswego, NY where I grew up.
-Undergrad at Juilliard. Grad at USC. Lots of early mornings out in LA watching those ET noon games.
-Only been to the Dome twice. Been to MANY BET's including the 6OT game which was easily the most exciting SU game I have seen live. Epic!! I have a close friend who works in sports television in NYC. He gets me media passes to tag along with him at MSG. Locker rooms, lunch and dinner buffets with Raftery/McDonough/Bilas, whole nine yards. I have talked to almost every player, coach, TGD, etc., in the past five years or so. Good stuff albeit as a quasi-impostor! ;)
-Reside in NE Ohio now. I try to see them on the road as much as possible. Usually Pitt and Cincy. Will be at Cincy game Jan 23.

-

First off I didn't think that there were so many old people here. I was born in 92 and only 7 miles from JBs home town. I still live here and have always been a cuse fan but didn't pay attention as much as I do now since I went to my first game last year against Northern Iowa with my friend that got season tickets as a graduation present and he took me to every home game last year. After all the fun I had last year I decided to get a season ticket with him for this year. I am now a crazed cuse fan since my first game I attended. I know its not exactly the 50 years like some of you but I am a fan till I die. That first game got me addicted and I love it!

My first memories of becoming a huge 'Cuse fan was the 76-77 season when Louie and Bouie were freshmen.

I don't remember going to any games but I do remember playing nerf basketball in the basement and pretending SU was playing the Bonnies or the Purple Eagles or Canisius, but especially the Bonnies. I remember being Bug Williams and Larry Kelley and Ross Kindel and Marty Byrnes and Dale Shackleford but I especially remember being Louie and Bouie.

Louie and Bouie were my favorites and, to this day, Roosevelt Bouie remains my all-time favorite player.

The only game from that season I can even vaguely remember watching was the Tennessee game.

We lived in Italy from 77 through 79 but moved back for the 79-80 season which is the season that cemented my love affair with SU hoops.

My first memory from that season was watching as we played Purdue, with Joe Barry Carroll, on the road on a Sunday afternoon on national TV (I think I have that all correct...somebody can google it if they want). We were down by 9 or 10 at the half and came storming back to win late. I remember Bouie had a huge rejection on Carroll late in the game.

My next memory was Old Dominion where a put back (after the buzzer???) ended our undefeated season.

Ironically, the first live game I remember attending was the Home Finale against the Hoyas. We were up 32-18 at the half and gave it all back and more...Orr front-rimmed a long jumper that would have sent the game into OT...

The next game was against St. John's...at the end of the game, Orr (I think) hit a layup and a blocking foul was called on Reggie Carter (I think)...Carnasecca went beserk, drew a T or maybe a double-T and we won and we won a share off the Big East title...

I also remember spanking UConn (Aleksinas, McKay and Corny Thompson) and then losing, again, to the hated Hoyas with Carter, Floyd, Shelton and the Postman, Ed Spriggs, in the inaugural Big East tournament.

Finally, I remember beating Villanova but then losing to Iowa as Boeheim got T'd up at a critical juncture.

I was devastated but I was also forever hooked. And I have been a crazed SU hoops fan ever since.

The other day, I was wearing an orange hooded UA sweatshirt and one of my buddies said, "You know, even your non-SU stuff is all orange. Do you even own any other colors?"

Since that season, there have been a lot of great memories - and a lot of heartbreak...some in person, some not: beating Nova in Triple OT to win the Big East (in person); Sleeping out freshman year for season tix (yes, we still did that back then), Pearl's elbow jumper to beat the Hoyas; sleeping out sophomore year to get tix and believing a rumor that tix were not going to be sold until following day and going back to dorm to take a nap and finding out when I woke up that, in the interim, tix had been distributed (last year ever for sleeping out for seasons); Studying abroad in '87 and missing the entire final four run; being almost incredulous in '96 when we beat Kansas to get to the final four as I felt that it was really MY first final four (I was too young to enjoy the '75 run and I was studying overseas in '87); Going to my first final four in '96 at the Meadowlands (why couldn't someone have boxed out McCarty at 64-62?); and, of course, following the team to Boston, Albany and the Big Easy in '03 (the atmosphere in the Pepsi center was as electric as any stadium or arena I've ever been in; listening to the shellshocked Texas fans at b'fast the next day complain about our "F'em up, F'em up...go SU...we're gonna kick the *** out of you"; Gmac's 6 for 6 and "THE Block" and then having a surreal, almost out-of-body experience standing in amazement at the fact that after 26+ years of being with so many heartbreaking misses, we were finally national champs...)

Over the years, I have changed considerably as a fan...rabid as he!! and very critical of Boeheim in the 80's, the '96 run mellowed me and the '03 run completed me...I now simply marvel at the consistency with which Boeheim has been able to churn out winning team after winning team for almost 30 years...We are extremely privileged to have this man as our coach with the level of excellence he has been able to sustain for almost three decades...

From Louie and Bouie to Pearl to Sherm and Coleman to 'Cuse is in the House to Carmelo and '03 and up to the present, it has been a wild, unforgettable and unbelievably enjoyable ride...

Hope to see you all in New Orleans again this year...

I grew up in the University section, and started attending Football and Basketball games at Manley and Archbold around 1970-71. My Mother was President of her Class of 1948 from Crouse school of Nursing, and worked at Crouse afterward. In 1951 she took her cousin to his first Syracuse football game. The cousin later became the Team Physician for SU, Dr. Bruce Baker.

That must be what I was remembering. I was only 5 at the time. I remember hearing her screams on the television broadcast. It was eerie.

I was at the game. The place was dead silent and all you could hear was her screaming. It was very eerie and extremely unsettling to say the least.

First post on this site and a very rare poster but been following the boards since the AOL days. Was born in Syracuse in 1976.

My first memory was the the BET game when Leo Rautins had the tip-in to win in the 3rd overtime. At that point, I was too young to really care and I just wanted the game to end so we could finally go to Ground Round for dinner. Little did I know, that I would become the guy in the family that eventually would make everyone wait for the game to end before we could do anything.

Went to a few games when I was younger, but moved to Georgia and then to Kansas and haven't been able to make it to a game in Syracuse since. I did go to the game in Kansas City a few years ago when we beat Kansas in the "neutral" court game. I started following pretty closely when I was 9 or 10 years old and remember pretty much all of the players from 1985 on. My parents went to the Hardwood Club dinner a couple years and remember waiting for them to get home one year to see if they were able to get the Pearl's autograph and I still have those programs.

I was born with spina bifida and have had some health issues resulting from that occasionally throughout my life, so another memory is when I was younger and my roommate in the hospital room was going to be on the cover of the SU basketball program with JB. I was all ready to talk some strategy with him when he came into the room - but then I got shy. So sadly, he didn't get the man vs zone advice of a 10 year old :) But he was very nice and talked to me for several minutes and these were the days where he really wasn't known for his charming personality.

Worst memory was the 1987 loss to Indiana. Yes, I did cry after that game. Also ended up with double homework for that week because our teacher was an Indiana fan who happened to live in Syracuse.

Best memory is, of course, 2003 as I also lived in Kansas at the time so I go to rub it in to all the KU fans. At that point, I considered my life complete and I could die in peace whenever the time came.

I think the only time I can remember missing a game on tv was when I was in middle school and found out I wasn't quite as good at signing my dad's name on a test paper as he was. So I was grounded and missed the Georgetown game where Billy Owens got fouled as time expired and we won in overtime.

I don't really have a favorite all time player. Least favorite players is anybody that wasted an opportunity that I would kill to be able to do by doing stupid things off the court.

I was born in Rome in 1956 and lived in Rome, Madison, Newport, Dexter, and Sandy Creek as I was growing up. My dad was a minister and moved frequently. He really wanted me to go to SU and I was fortunate to win a full scholarship, so I moved into Flint Hall in 1974. Perhaps my best memory of SU sports is my first year with SU in the final four. The wins over North Carolina and K-State set the hook for a lifetime of being a fan. I've done a lot of things during my lifetime, but there are few things I've done longer or with as much passion as being an SU fan. It's been a meaningful aspect of my life and I honor it.

My grandmother attended Crouse College in the 1910s, my dad got a Masters from SU in the 50s, and my brother got a Masters from SU in the 90s so Syracuse is home no matter where I am. I've lived in Virginia since 1988. I was in the construction business and wanted to be where they had an economy and where you could see the ground more than half a year. Virginia has been that place and has been kind to me. I worked for FEMA for 13 years and have had several businesses so found good opportunities in VA but think about SU & upstate NY every day. This board makes that easier.

I don't really have favorite players. I've liked a lot of guys from Roosevelt Bouie to Fab Melo in Bball and from Joe Morris to Delone Carter in football. In intend to keep liking lots of guys including the entire 2011-2012 double-squad basketball team. I'm really liking these guys and have high hopes for them by season's end. 2003 was a special year and I look forward to having some really good teams as JB begins his final years. I've been very fortunate to have been an SU fan during JB's career. He treated me to what's been the best era of college basketball for Syracuse. Thanks Jim. You've kept me proud of being orange.

First off I didn't think that there were so many old people here. I was born in 92 and only 7 miles from JBs home town. I still live here and have always been a cuse fan but didn't pay attention as much as I do now since I went to my first game last year against Northern Iowa with my friend that got season tickets as a graduation present and he took me to every home game last year. After all the fun I had last year I decided to get a season ticket with him for this year. I am now a crazed cuse fan since my first game I attended. I know its not exactly the 50 years like some of you but I am a fan till I die. That first game got me addicted and I love it!

You're wrong about that. There aren't any old people here, rooting for Cuse keeps us all young.

First post on this site and a very rare poster but been following the boards since the AOL days. Was born in Syracuse in 1976.

My first memory was the the BET game when Leo Rautins had the tip-in to win in the 3rd overtime. At that point, I was too young to really care and I just wanted the game to end so we could finally go to Ground Round for dinner. Little did I know, that I would become the guy in the family that eventually would make everyone wait for the game to end before we could do anything.

Went to a few games when I was younger, but moved to Georgia and then to Kansas and haven't been able to make it to a game in Syracuse since. I did go to the game in Kansas City a few years ago when we beat Kansas in the "neutral" court game. I started following pretty closely when I was 9 or 10 years old and remember pretty much all of the players from 1985 on. My parents went to the Hardwood Club dinner a couple years and remember waiting for them to get home one year to see if they were able to get the Pearl's autograph and I still have those programs.

I was born with spina bifida and have had some health issues resulting from that occasionally throughout my life, so another memory is when I was younger and my roommate in the hospital room was going to be on the cover of the SU basketball program with JB. I was all ready to talk some strategy with him when he came into the room - but then I got shy. So sadly, he didn't get the man vs zone advice of a 10 year old :) But he was very nice and talked to me for several minutes and these were the days where he really wasn't known for his charming personality.

Worst memory was the 1987 loss to Indiana. Yes, I did cry after that game. Also ended up with double homework for that week because our teacher was an Indiana fan who happened to live in Syracuse.

Best memory is, of course, 2003 as I also lived in Kansas at the time so I go to rub it in to all the KU fans. At that point, I considered my life complete and I could die in peace whenever the time came.

I think the only time I can remember missing a game on tv was when I was in middle school and found out I wasn't quite as good at signing my dad's name on a test paper as he was. So I was grounded and missed the Georgetown game where Billy Owens got fouled as time expired and we won in overtime.

I don't really have a favorite all time player. Least favorite players is anybody that wasted an opportunity that I would kill to be able to do by doing stupid things off the court.

Nice post. I also tried the sign your parents name and got busted a couple of times growing up.

I founded syracusefan.com 12 years ago with Fishy and Temery ... in order to give SU fans an alternative to the un-moderated forum on syracuse.com. It is one of the best things I ever did... in that it has given me the opportunity to meet scores of great people who share my passion for SU sports.
and you created untold numbers of friends in doing so. thank you.

-born in '49 in Jamestown, NY and grew up nearby
-Buffalo TV stations carried Cleveland Browns games, and my love of Jim Brown made me a Syracuse fan
-ironically, I ended there as a biochem major at ESF
-as a freshman, the Bill Smith, Bob McDaniel, Bill Finney, and Tom Green freshman games drew the crowds. I later got to know all of those guys. Smitty even taught me how to juggle.
-being a bball fanatic that played in Archbold more times than I can count, I also attended all but one SU bball home game from Fall '67 through Spring '78 and was in the original Manley Zoo
-which means I stayed there for my M.S. and worked there for a few years after
-used to run into JB at Drumlins when he was an assistant coach and bugged him that my friend Tom Stundis should be starting instead of Bob Dooms
-moved to Indiana to start a real professional career in wetland research in '78, got a Ph.D. in aquatic ecology at Purdue while working full time, enjoyed seeing Rosie and the boys beat Joe Barry Carroll and Purdue in a nationally televised game that proved to be a great birthday present
-I was still in Indiana when we lost to IU in the NC game--tough place to be; at least I was distracted by having to console my then-7-yr-old son, who was crying his eyes out
-moved to the Ann Arbor area in '87 and coined Stuckinbig11 as I had to endure Michigan fans all around me
-everyone in town knew my kids as the ones who wore Syracuse gear
-retired from USGS in '08 with 35 years of service and took an endowed faculty position at SUNY Brockport, so I am now 1:45 from home to campus and can get to games several times a year
-my birthday is on Saturday, so I just bought tickets for the Providence game and will be there
-as an aside, when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer some years ago, Joyce put me in touch with JB, and we had a half hour phone conversation in which he provided some great advice
-I have LOTS of reasons to bleed Orange

- I grew up in a small town in Wayne County, about an hour and 15 minutes from Syracuse.

- Been a Syracuse fan for as long as I can remember. My dad is a fan, so I am sure I got it from him, but I took it to a whole new level.

- I used to go to 1-2 games a year with my dad/family as I was growing up.

- I went to Le Moyne College from 1998-2002. During the first two years I slowly realized how easy/convenient it was to get to the Dome and started going to more and more games.

- My junior year (2000-01) I went to almost every home game, just purchasing tickets on a game-by-game basis.

- My senior year (2001-02) my then-girlfriend (now wife) was in grad school at SU and I obtained student season tickets. I had the pleasure of sitting with Mason the whole year (I can't imagine many people know more about SU basketball, and basketball in general, than Mason). When I was growing up, season tickets to SU games seemed like something that was unobtainable, so the fact I had them that year makes it one of my favorite years ever of Syracuse basketball.

- During my time at Le Moyne, I started going to watch Syracuse practices. It was very enlightening and exciting to see this team I root for so hard up close when the "lights" were not on. It was also great to see things they did in practice translate to games.

- I moved out of the area after graduation. My job tends to take up a lot of time, so I can usually only make it to one or two games a year around Christmas when I am in the area visiting my parents. Even so, those are usually the highlights of the Christmas season for me.

- I have been a frequent reader (multiple times a day) of Syracusefan.com since the beginning. I have often thought I should post more, but have never gotten overly involved on that end.

- My favorite group of players will always be the Coleman, Douglas, Thompson, Owens, etc. group. They were the key players on the team when I really started following the team around the age of eight or nine.

- A few items to show my extreme fandom:
  • I have a pile of scorebooks in my house. I have kept score of virutally every Syracuse game since 1991. I even bring my scorebook to the Dome.
  • My wife painted one of our spare bedrooms orange and blue and even painted a big Syracuse logo on one wall.
  • I work in athletics and quite often will be at another sporting event while a Syracuse game is going on. EVERYONE around knows not to tell me the score since I will go home and watch it once my responsibilities are complete.

Born, and raised in NYC (Manhattan) and went to public school here up until junior year in high school when I moved to Southern California and spent my jr. and sr. years at North Hollywood High School (Go Huskies!).
Moved back east to NYC after high school graduation and worked for a year before deciding where to college.
Was wavering between going back to Cali or staying east. More family in the east swayed my decision and when Williams College rejected me – it was off to cold, snowy central NY to attend Syracuse University on the banks of the Onondaga. I am SU class of ’87.

I was always a huge baseball fan (Mets) growing up and didn’t pay that much attention to college sports. I did have a working knowledge of college hoops and football and if you pinned me down and asked me what schools I rooted for it would have been Notre Dame for football and St. John’s for basketball because SJU was the team from NYC.
The first hoops game I attended at SU in the Dome was January 1984. Syracuse versus Boston College. That was the game that Pearl won with an almost half-court shot at the buzzer. It was unbelievable and if I wasn’t hooked by then, that did the trick. I’ve been an avid Syracuse basketball ever since.

Was a senior when they lost to Indiana in the ’87 Final. That was a great run though. I remember Dwayne Schintzus getting schooled by Rony Seikaly after Schintzus had guaranteed he would mop up the floor with Rony. Rony had probably his best game ever I think, scored 30+ points. Beating UNC the next game to get the Final Four, beating Providence and Billy Donovan and Rick Pitino for the THIRD time that year to get to championship game.

Was with my wife of less than a year at an upper west side sports bar during the ’96 NCAAs and when we beat Georgia she lifted her shirt and flashed the entire place showing off her bright orange bra (and she didn’t even go to Syracuse!). That’s when I knew I married the right girl.

In 2003, myself and 10 fraternity brothers from SU took over a small bar in midtown to watch the game. When they won we cried. It was amazing and embarrassing as hell at the same time.

I’ve been living in southeastern Connecticut for 15 years now and attend as many SU games in person as I can. Whenever they play at MSG I’m there and if they come to the area for Seton Hall and Rutgers I’m there as well. I just drove up and back to Providence last week for that game. I don’t venture to Hartford for UConn games because I cannot stand the Huskies or their fans. I remember when ‘Yukon’ was a school nobody had ever heard of and they were the perennial doormat of the league. Now everybody inn CT thinks that the game was invented in Storrs by a guy named Calhoun.

My favorite players : Pearl, Raf Addison, Derrick Coleman, Stevie Thompson.

I remember that.
The Dome was absolutely quiet, nationally-televised game (which was not all that common back then), & all you heard were these blood-curdling screams.
Still get chills just thinking about it...(shudder)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom