Where Are We From/Fan History. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Where Are We From/Fan History.

I grew up in Oswego and have always been an SU fan as well as Giants, Bills, Knicks and Mets.

As usual, I am late to the party the cool kids are throwing, but the cool kids usually are OK to me and let me hang out.

Born in 1970 in the center of the state- Norwich, NY (Get bent, Oneonta. Except you, Hoov). Played at the same YMCA that Mr. Lew Andreas used to run, know or knew most of the members of the Manley family, and have been aware of the Orange since the cradle. Lots of people had seasons to both sports, or made the trip to games. Many influential doctors, lawyers, etc, in the area are/were SU alums. In my middle school, one of the best teachers there (or that I ever had) was a proud Villanova alum who didn't even pretend to teach during BET week, and students often found their way to his room if SU was on. We railed against King Rice, the rival from the big city of Binghamton, for picking UNC over the Orange, but following Pearl and Sherm was apparently too much for King. The Lee brothers and so many other SU basketball and football players of the 40s, 50s, and 60s were very much a part of local lore and legend in the 1980s Norwich sports, especially the local guys who were such a part of the programs of that era.

Cried like Marsh(?) did, all night long, after the Keith Smart jumper. Got into SU for the fall of 1988, but there was no financial aid left and little room at the inn; friends told me of being tripled and quadrupled in two person rooms. Went to college in Western NY and never regretted it, except for almost everything stemming from the arrival on campus of PeteCalvin one year later. On campus, almost everyone was an SU fan and before the 'net and TV in rooms, every televised game was a party in the dorm lounges.

Unsuccessfully lobbied to name my firstborn either Boeheim or James Boeheim but ended up with the even more awesome Jack that some of you have met at Fine Mess tailgates. I just was always a fan of/looked up to JB, the CNY fella made good. Faithfully read the Herald-American every Sunday (the only day we got it in our town) to keep up as much as I could with the beloved Orange. To this day, my son and I- and both my dad and my most excellent father in law- bond over SU sports.

Never had seasons for hoops, but gladly pay to use tix that otherwise would go unused. Hope to take my wife to a game this season, but demand is outpacing supply. Have had some good times at SU with my son. Hope to make the BET this spring but probably won't. Ugh.

Thanks to CTO for the founding of this board and being both the straw that stirred this concoction and the glue that for so long held it together!

hardcore fan since 1972; graduated from Newhouse in '77
hatred of Hoyas without boundaries (live in DC area for 30 years)
Kennel Club charter member, road games as undergrad; recall big rival St Bona (!)
'87 final game, great seats, looked Smart in the eye as he launched it
missed Meadowlands FF with small kids at home
at Cole Field House for worst ever game
'03 brought whole family back to NOLA for a perfect experience
can't watch games live since Richmond game however (circled concourse in Superdome entire 2d half)
son continues tradition now on campus (though he likes to watch live)
favorite teams: late '80s to about '90 (Sherm, DC, Seikaly, Billy)

I guess it's time to let CTO know that she is not the oldest on the board.

I first knew of basketball in general as a young boy living east of Syracuse in the late 40s. At that time, I heard more about the Syracuse Nats from my dad who loved to go to the Fairgrounds to see them play especially when the Minneapolis Lakers with George Mikan were in town. He always claimed that Mikan sharpened his elbows before games as he usually dropped at least one player under the basket fighting for rebounds. He was always a big Dolph Schayes fan, but his favorite was Al Cervi because he was so "fiesty" as he put it.

During my college years I really became a rabid fan while going to Kansas State. It was unbelieveable to me the fan support for even high school games let alone the college games. That was at a time when Kansas State was a national power with AA Bob Boozer and Tex Winter as their coach. It was also a time when a young skinny kid from Philadelphia enrolled at Kansas University. I had the great pleasure of watching K-State beat the Chamberlain led KU team at Allen Fieldhouse.

During those years I also saw Oscar Robertson play 3 different times. I had never seen someone able to completely take over a game before him. The year after his graduation, I saw Cinncinati beat the great Ohio State team led by Jerry Lucas in the finals of the NCAA tournament in Kansas City. Ohio State also had John Havlichek and Bobby Knight on the roster.

We had moved to Connecticut near Storrs while I was at college. At Christmas break I got to see UConn with Dom Perno and Toby Kimball. Also Providence games with Johnny Egan and Lenny Wilkens and later after graduation with a big guy named John Thompson. Eastern basketball had some real powerhouse teams in those days.

A few years later I moved to CNY and started following Syracuse BB. We had season tickets for many years before retiring and moving to South Carolina. Memorable moments at the Dome seeing JT II getting thrown out, the cheerleader incident mentioned earlier, and Senior Day when DC and Stevie played their final home game. I didn't cry after the 87 loss, but I did that day. My two absolute favorites.

Today, thanks to this board, Orangeyes and many of you great contributors, I can still feel like I'm part of the fanbase. I felt all the good feelings of being an SU fan return at the NC State game last month. LGO!!

During my college years I really became a rabid fan while going to Kansas State. It was unbelieveable to me the fan support for even high school games let alone the college games. That was at a time when Kansas State was a national power with AA Bob Boozer and Tex Winter as their coach. It was also a time when a young skinny kid from Philadelphia enrolled at Kansas University. I had the great pleasure of watching K-State beat the Chamberlain led KU team at Allen Fieldhouse.

During those years I also saw Oscar Robertson play 3 different times. I had never seen someone able to completely take over a game before him. The year after his graduation, I saw Cinncinati beat the great Ohio State team led by Jerry Lucas in the finals of the NCAA tournament in Kansas City. Ohio State also had John Havlichek and Bobby Knight on the roster.

This is unbelievable. I can't tell you how envious I am...

born and raised in Rochester, NY., went to ESF.
Lived next door to Leo Rautins and down the hall from Danny Shayes.
Played in Sitrus, which not only got me in the games, but allowed me to go to many away games as well.
Hated Georgetown since the last game at Manley. The only time I've ever painted my face was for a Georgetown game at McDoungh (sp) arena. We lost the game, but were vocal and booed by the home crowd, unfortunatly, the paint didnt come off all that easily and were on 81 before it was all off.
Favorite event memories: oranges flying after the first touchdown in the dome; Pearls 1/2 court shot; Billy Owens clutch free throws; beating Georgetown by 30, and being in the superdome for the national championship, the first, and only time a fellow fan has ever head butted me.
I first became aware of the board when I saw a number of "war otto" shirts in NO, and asked where they got them.
I still intend to dispise G-twn long after we have a case full of ACC tournement trophys.

I first became aware of the board when I saw a number of "war otto" shirts in NO, and asked where they got them.

Wow.. the "War Otto" shirts. That phrase was coined by Tomcat after we were invaded by a bunch of Auburn fans who kept posting "War Eagle" on this board before the 2001 football game. The shirts were designed by a friend of mine who is a UConn fan (and who used to post on the Boneyard as "Hamster"). Maybe we should pull out our old "War Otto" shirts some day.

To see what they looked like, check out Cisco Cuse's avatar.

Yes, but the shirts said "War Otto" ... with a cute graphic. Just in case children were watching/reading.

Every once in a while we on this board actually do things in a responsible and mature manner. The rest of the time...

:rolling:

Have rarely missed a hoops game since 1974 whether it was attending, watching on TV or listening on the radio. One of my favorite games other than 6-ot or Kansas '03 was at Purdue in 1980. We were undefeated but ranked lower than Joe Barry Carroll and the Boilermakers. Syracuse 66 - Purdue 61. The hype for that game was off the wall! Louis Orr, Roosevelt Bouie, Tony "red" Bruin, Marty Head, Eric Santifer, Ron Payton, Hal Cohen.. what a team that was!
Holy f...we were playing zone then!

I was born at Riker's Island in 1977. My mother and father had decided to open a bank-robbing business in their early 20s and spent the better part of their days there.

I was raised by an au pair named Elin from Sweden. She taught me all the states, Presidents and mandarin Chinese by the age of 3.

At 6, I was diagnosed with abnormally large hands. Because of this, I was able to become a world class mountaineer by the age of 8, becoming the youngest human to ever ascend Everest. When I got to the top, I became the youngest climber to ever smoke a cigarette at the top of the world. Camel non-filters.

At 10, I had finished high school and enrolled at Harvard University. I finished my dual PH.d in molecular biology and organic chemistry by 13. I was a fully tenured professor at the school by the age of 15. I still teach as an adjunct.

When I was 16, I was noticed on the AAU circuit, by Mike Hopkins. He and JB offered me a full ride in the 1995 class, but I turned them down to pursue other dreams. This is the reason I am still a Cuse fan to this day...they never got in the way of my dreams.

After turning down Syracuse, I went to medical school at Hopkins, and over the course of 4 years came up with cures to various diseases and maladies. Unfortunately, my roommate Ratso, set fire to our apartment and my work was lost. I am still in the process of recreating in my free time.

At 23, I became a world class poker player in addition to becoming a world class auctioneer. I spend most of my free time auctioneering. I attribute most of this success to Elin who also taught me to yodel (in addition to mandarin Chinese).

At 30 I became a political pundit and advisor to Barack Obama, leading one of the greatest political upsets in 2008.

At 33, I retired, spending my time writing memoirs and re-runs of Wheel of Fortune. It has been a full and blessed life. Go Orange!

Disclaimer: Some of the facts in AZOrange's story have been changed to protect the innocent.

Bump...any other cool stories out there?

LOL, AZOrange. Do I know you, by the way, as I am from AZ???
Other than AZ's (clears throat) story, I think these stories could make an interesting book of vignettes. There is some real passion that comes thru in these stories. The next book on Syracuse basketball!! Anyone steals this idea... I posted it here first! Sort of like copywriting the idea.

Wow.. the "War Otto" shirts. That phrase was coined by Tomcat after we were invaded by a bunch of Auburn fans who kept posting "War Eagle" on this board before the 2001 football game. The shirts were designed by a friend of mine who is a UConn fan (and who used to post on the Boneyard as "Hamster"). Maybe we should pull out our old "War Otto" shirts some day.

To see what they looked like, check out Cisco Cuse's avatar.
mine is in the wash, for i wore it wednesday and plan to wear it again on sat, and yep, on monday too.

its beat to hell and a little tight, can only wear it in the apt. we need a re-order.

Oh Lord

LOL, AZOrange. Do I know you, by the way, as I am from AZ???
Other than AZ's (clears throat) story, I think these stories could make an interesting book of vignettes. There is some real passion that comes thru in these stories. The next book on Syracuse basketball!! Anyone steals this idea... I posted it here first! Sort of like copywriting the idea.

Sure. I saw that in your post. Not sure if I know you. I live in PHX. You?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom