Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games?

Wins over UNC have been mileposts in SU basketball history. The win over Dean Smith in the 1975 East Region was in the Danforth era, but put us on a national stage. That win is high on my list and is the event that made me a lifelong fan. For the 2016 FF, I like us in the role of Cinderella' s evil twin against America's sweetheart. As I felt in 1975...just wow!! Another opportunity for a statement game against UNC. This one's for JB...

Another one - the win at MSG against #6 UNC early in the '09-10 season. I think that game marked Syracuse's return as a national contender and the unofficial beginning of this second golden age of Cuse hoops.

For me personally, I put last night #2 among my SU favorite games ever:

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
5. Either 1990 Georgetown (JT ejected), 2003 Pitt in the Dome, or 2006 BET vs. UConn

1. Kansas 2003
2. Miss st. 1996 Why? First Final Four I attended in person. Also, I was too young in '75 and I was studying abroad in '87 so '96 really felt like MY first final four and this game got me to what I felt was my first final.
3. Kansas 1996 - see above..same reason as Miss St. except this win got us to the first final four that I was able to experience
4. Indiana 2013 - saw this game with my son and this win gave me the opportunity to have him experience his first final four
5. Wisconsin - 2012 - my son's first NCAA game

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
5. Either 1990 Georgetown (JT ejected), 2003 Pitt in the Dome, or 2006 BET vs. UConn
I know most guys are alot younger than me, but Kansas state in 74-74 was an awesome game to get to the final four. Bug Williams w/ 5 seconds left full court to rudy hackett and the ball danced all over the rim before dropping. Roys Runts

Need to edit earlier reply, googled su k-state in75, guess I must have missed some of the end, while probably passed out and dreaming. Still big win for su to get to final four

Wins over UNC have been mileposts in SU basketball history. The win over Dean Smith in the 1975 East Region was in the Danforth era, but put us on a national stage. That win is high on my list and is the event that made me a lifelong fan. For the 2016 FF, I like us in the role of Cinderella' s evil twin against America's sweetheart. As I felt in 1975...just wow!! Another opportunity for a statement game against UNC. This one's for JB...

I was 3 years old then, so I don't have any frame of reference for what it meant, other than from the standpoint that it was SU's first final four.

Need to edit earlier reply, googled su k-state in75, guess I must have missed some of the end, while probably passed out and dreaming. Still big win for su to get to final four
Need to re-edit, down 2, 5seconds left williams to hackett ball bounces around goes in for ot. Su wins handily on ot. but for this game unc win would have been forgotten because we wouldn't have made final four

Yep, if we won in 1975 we can win in 2016. That 1975 UNC team was loaded.

docsu said:
The game against #2 Pitt at the Dome in 2003 will always be nearly top of my list because I was there.
Same here. Top 5 for me

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
I've been paying attention since Pearl's arrival and from my seat, and this does not make a ton of sense, but the identity and character of this program was etched in stone with the 6 OT win. That's why it was our most important victory (and still my favorite). We reclaimed the mantle of the premier college hoops program in the northeast that night. And I would think we keep a firm grip on that for a good long while.

Another huge win was our last meeting with Georgetown as Big East brethren. At MSG. CJ dunks hard over Otto to seal the deal. Later dudes, we're taking our s#it to a new party.

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn

1975 East Regional Final v. UNC that should be 2 or 2.5 We were nobody nationally then, and that was our first step to where we are now,.

#6 on your list is a huge one. There was absolutely a glass ceiling on the Elite 8 for us for a hell of a lot of the history of the program (sure we had gotten there but the record was hideous and our two previous Sweet 16 games had been friggen Butler and Oklahoma) and that game was shaping up to be another insane heartbreaker with them draining 14 three pointers. If I remember right, they may have hit 6 in a row at one point late in the game. That game was like a heavyweight prize fight with two guys throwing haymaker after haymaker at each other. And for us to previal was so amazing. It is one of my favorite games ever. Still can't find that game on YouTube for whatever reason, but would love to watch it again.
Like many of us I was there. That last TO and final play were simply excruciating.

Definitely one of the greatest comebacks ever, and in a HUGE spot. I don't even think I could rank the top games because there have been so many amazing moments since I started watching in about 83. Being at the NC game in 2003 was obviously remarkably memorable, as was the Texas game two nights before.

The 1996 game against Georgia really sticks out to me too, because it required not one, but TWO last second shots to win. Wallace was amazing, and Z hit back to back 3s when we were down 9 with 2 minutes left.

No one has mentioned the Oklahoma State game in the NCAAT in 2003. We were getting blown out when Edelin and Pace took over the game, and McNeil started blocking shots on the back end of the press. Then Gerry hit a few dagger 3s to seal it.

For regular season, beating Duke in their first trip to the Dome was beyond special. Remarkable game.

1987 beating UNC to make the F4 was probably the first real 'game-changing' win for Boeheim and I still remember how elated I was to have the time reach the F4 for the first time in my fanhood.

And there are sooooo many more.

Hell, the Ryan Blackwell last second shot in the 1998 BET against St. John's is another one of my most memorable Cuse experiences.

I could keep rambling on and on...

Villanova BET 1981
Tulsa NIT Title 1981
Tennessee 1977 NCAA
Georgetown/St Johns/UConn Scores of them
Pitt at the Dome 2003
Duke BE/ACC Challenge 1990
Marius Janulis Game NCAA

Yep, if we won in 1975 we can win in 2016. That 1975 UNC team was loaded.
Phil Ford, John Kuester and Mitch Kupchak I remember not sure about Walter Davis.

Honorable mention - 1977 NCAA tourney game against Tennessee. Bernie and Ernie vs Bouie and Louie:

This is one of my favorite threads in a while. What it reveals is that this is the biggest win for the program in a long time. Since the 2003 championship, the only competition is the 2006 BET run, 6 OT's, Wisconsin, with little mention of Indiana to get to our most recent Final Four. Also, the 2010 team, which rivals any team we ever had, never had a signature win.

A win like this one goes a long way. A conversation like this connects the generations. Recruits talk about games like this one as the factor that got them to think orange. Someone posted about how pleased he was that his sons were able to experience a win like this. A game like this is the glue the holds together the Orange community.

Phil Ford, John Kuester and Mitch Kupchak I remember not sure about Walter Davis.

They were young, but very good. Ford and Kupchak got to the championship game in '77, losing to Al Maguire's Marquette and Butch Lee.

87 Title game was a great, great college basketball game. No one liked the outcome, but even in defeat, people came away from that game thinking more highly of SU and JB.

I have said the same thing many times over the years (and gotten pounded for it on this board - Ha!

But that night, we went from regional program to national program. We were the better team. We were like the next Phi Slamma Jamma, we went on such a roll. That was the beginning of great times.

#2 for me. obviously natty is top for me.

Last night, it was for me too. I had plenty before the bar, then everything became expensive. :(

3d72f9d65daf504c586396a0bc06693d.jpg

They were young, but very good. Ford and Kupchak got to the championship game in '77, losing to Al Maguire's Marquette and Butch Lee.
They also placed 4 players on the Olympic Gold Medal Team. Looked back at the Box Score and they did have Walter Davis and Tommy LaGarde. We had a regional Eastern team.

2003 natty
2006 big east run
last night
6ot game/uconn

Nobody has mentioned the NC game in the 1975 Eastern Regional. Put us on the map.

87 Title game was a great, great college basketball game. No one liked the outcome, but even in defeat, people came away from that game thinking more highly of SU and JB.
I know JB says how horrible it was, but I was proud of our guys for allowing me to think for even one minute that we were >this< close to a title in April 87

Here's a list of games that come to mind:

1. 2003 Championship game against Kansas
2. 6 OT Game vs. UConn at MSG
3. 1987 Regional Final vs. North Carolina
4. Georgia Sweet 16 in '96
5. Pearl vs. Ewing at MSG
6. Sherman's "Hike" Game - Dismantling of Indiana in the 1988 Pre-Season NIT at MSG
7. 2003 Semi-Final vs. Texas - Melo's most dominant performance, Hak's tea-bag of Royal Ivy
8. Jimmy Lee's jumper to beat North Carolina in the 1975 Sweet 16.
9. Pearl's half-court shot to beat BC at the Dome
10. 1989 Big East / ACC Challenge - Coleman, Billy Owens and Stevie Thompson beat Duke in Greensboro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom