Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games?

1. NC 2003 vs Kansas
2. Last night Elite 8 2016 vs UVA
3. Elite 8 1987 vs UNC
4. Sweet 16 1996 vs Georgia
5. Elite 8 2003 vs Oklahoma
6.Elite 8 1996 vs Kansas
7. 6 OT BET vs UConn
8. Elite 8 2013 vs Marquette
9. 2006 BET vs UConn
10. 1989 vs Georgetown
11. BET Championship 1992 vs Georgetown
12. Elite 8 1975 vs UNC (Lee's shot beats UNC)

So many great wins I'm sure I missed some.

Great list. I share a lot of the same favorite memories.

For non conference regular season wins, beating Phi Slamma Jamma in '83 has to be top 5.

The win over Purdue with Joe Barry Carroll by Louie and Bouie was huge for the program, too. I think Purdue was ranked 2nd or 3rd and it was on national tv back when that was still kind of rare.

if 6OT game was in play than i think the gerry game against #1 yukon was actually a bigger win. i put the georgia game ahead, and kansas 96. maybe more but it's hard to remember, but this run is in the class of the 96 run.

The win over Purdue with Joe Barry Carroll by Louie and Bouie was huge for the program, too. I think Purdue was ranked 2nd or 3rd and it was on national tv back when that was still kind of rare.

Another big one I would add was the win over Tennessee in the NCAAs back when they had Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld. Another huge early era win.

DEFINITELY one of the top wins in program history, given the implications and opponent [#1 seed].

A win to make the final four is incredible, especially given the circumstances.

a thread regaling the favorite Orange victories and nary a mention of one of the all time greats and a personal top 5 for sure

3 OT victory over Nova

ponderous

We won the tournament and didn't get a bid. Amazing.

Kansas in '96 has always been a favorite of 'Cuse tourney win of mine. I personally have a lot of fondness for these 3 reg season wins:

1) Syracuse 108 UConn 95; 1994 - probably the single most fun 'Cuse game I can ever recall. I believe Syracuse scored 60 in the 2nd half!

2) 2013 - Syracuse wins at #1 L'Ville, MCW takes over in the last 5 mins

3) Syracuse 78 Duke 76, ACC-Big East challenge in Greensboro (?), DJ hits 2FTs to win the game

Last night, it was for me too. I had plenty before the bar, then everything became expensive. :(

3d72f9d65daf504c586396a0bc06693d.jpg
Oh my

The national championship game for sure. That year we had an away game against Michigan State, a real grind-it-out affair with 'cuse winning a close one. After that win I knew we were going to do something special 'cause our kids didn't back down.

The 1996 national championship game was actually one of my favorite as well. The talent on Kentucky was crazy, JB had our kids playing over their heads and only down 6 with a couple minutes left to play. I think that was when I realized how special JB is.

1975 East Regional Final v. UNC that should be 2 or 2.5 We were nobody nationally then, and that was our first step to where we are now,.
Actually the Eastern Regionl final was against Kansas State. While that also was a milestone victory in getting us to our first Final Four I agree that beating a loaded NC team shocked the basketball world making the Kansas State game almost anti-climatic.

Kansas in '96 has always been a favorite of 'Cuse tourney win of mine. I personally have a lot of fondness for these 3 reg season wins:

1) Syracuse 108 UConn 95; 1994 - probably the single most fun 'Cuse game I can ever recall. I believe Syracuse scored 60 in the 2nd half!

2) 2013 - Syracuse wins at #1 L'Ville, MCW takes over in the last 5 mins

3) Syracuse 78 Duke 76, ACC-Big East challenge in Greensboro (?), DJ hits 2FTs to win the game

Yes, depending on what criteria we're using, the 1994 game might be our best ever. It was an excellent offensive performance by both teams. And we did score 60 on 24-35 shooting in the second half: http://cuse.com/sports/2006/6/27/uconnmb94_2.aspx?id=3202

This is one of my favorite threads in a while. What it reveals is that this is the biggest win for the program in a long time. Since the 2003 championship, the only competition is the 2006 BET run, 6 OT's, Wisconsin, with little mention of Indiana to get to our most recent Final Four. Also, the 2010 team, which rivals any team we ever had, never had a signature win.

A win like this one goes a long way. A conversation like this connects the generations. Recruits talk about games like this one as the factor that got them to think orange. Someone posted about how pleased he was that his sons were able to experience a win like this. A game like this is the glue the holds together the Orange community.

great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom