Where's Carmelo gonna end up next season? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Where's Carmelo gonna end up next season?

I always assumed the women you would meet in the bars in Vegas had meth problems too.

To be honest, in my early 20s I wouldn't have cared. Now, I go after women that do well for themselves. The main girl I was serious with was a surgical nurse, have dated lawyers, CFOs, an optometrist. The last one, the optometrist drove a Tesla. Most amazing car I've ever been in, she wont let me drive it though. lol

hqdefault.jpg

Another part of the issue was there was a lockout pending that summer; Melo didn't know for sure where the max salary was going to go, so he wanted to get it locked in before there was a work stoppage.
Yeah, people forget this.

To be honest, in my early 20s I wouldn't have cared. Now, I go after women that do well for themselves. The main girl I was serious with was a surgical nurse, have dated lawyers, CFOs, an optometrist. The last one, the optometrist drove a Tesla. Most amazing car I've ever been in, she wont let me drive it though. lol

I bet you could post some stories on the OT board. At the very least it's be a nice distraction from the constant Trump posts.

Limited shelf life. Maximize dollars. Winning is for fans.
Limited shelf life? He made more on his rookie deal than most people ever can dream of. The money is so ridiculous now that there's no reason for any player with longevity to worry about it except to say they have more of it. Winning isn't just for fans, it's for some players too. Aparrently, your statement rings true for Melo, however.

I don't doubt they make an obscene amount of money, but I think it is more than ego. They have a short period of time to make as much as they can to afford a lifestyle they've become accustomed to.
Nonsense. He made ~57 mil while he was at Denver. If he paid half of that in taxes and made an ultra conservative 5% return investment on the rest that's still 1.4 mil annually. That still leaves him in the 99.9 percentile of earners and doesn't count endorsements. He and his descendants could live lavishly for generations just off of that.

And I've never said he shouldn't have signed a big deal, just that he made enough and knew he would still make enough at a lower level contract to choose a destination that gave him a better chance to win, if that was his priority. At some point making more money is about saying you have it or being able to flaunt it, not about giving you a better lifestyle.

That was also a different CBA, where Krause back loaded MJ's contract and gave him something like $33million one year.
I don't think that was ever in the original contract. I think it was negotiated after he came back from retirement. I could be wrong though. Let me ask this? If he thought that would've forced them to blow up the team or prevent them from contending, do you think MJ would've done it?

I don't think that was ever in the original contract. I think it was negotiated after he came back from retirement. I could be wrong though. Let me ask this? If he thought that would've forced them to blow up the team or prevent them from contending, do you think MJ would've done it?

I am like 99% sure the huge salaries Jordan was making at the end weren't part of his original long term deal.

Nonsense. He made ~57 mil while he was at Denver. If he paid half of that in taxes and made an ultra conservative 5% return investment on the rest that's still 1.4 mil annually. That still leaves him in the 99.9 percentile of earners and doesn't count endorsements. He and his descendants could live lavishly for generations just off of that.

And I've never said he shouldn't have signed a big deal, just that he made enough and knew he would still make enough at a lower level contract to choose a destination that gave him a better chance to win, if that was his priority. At some point making more money is about saying you have it or being able to flaunt it, not about giving you a better lifestyle.
Some good points. What was the difference(before taxes) that he got because he took the MAX. I was under the impression it was about 20 million, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that would be enough to sway someone, even in the top .1%, ego aside.

Limited shelf life? He made more on his rookie deal than most people ever can dream of. The money is so ridiculous now that there's no reason for any player with longevity to worry about it except to say they have more of it. Winning isn't just for fans, it's for some players too. Aparrently, your statement rings true for Melo, however.
It's all relative. Limited shelf life to earn as an NBA player.
In the scope of the overall value of the NBA, players' individual salaries are, on the whole, modest.

I am like 99% sure the huge salaries Jordan was making at the end weren't part of his original long term deal.

Jordan's contract expired after the 1995 season. The Bulls had Jordan's Bird rights and he signed one year contracts his last 3 years.
1996 and 1997 he made 30 million each year.
1998 he made 33 million.

The Bulls could go over the cap to sign him because of his Bird rights but the Bulls severely underpaid him from 87-95 for what he was worth.

Nike and Gatorade were paying him more per year during that stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom