Where's Carmelo gonna end up next season? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Where's Carmelo gonna end up next season?

I think it's a combination of the fact that it's New York, the fact that it's Melo, and the fact that he's a really good player rotting away on a team by his choice. People care about the Knicks. People tend to hate Melo as a player. And people that don't hate Melo want to see Melo play on a competitive team. Even without the Noah signing, there was almost zero chance the Knicks are a contender until after Melo has retired.
For me it was the opposite. I'm not a Knicks fan, so I couldn't care less about them. I'm a Melo fan, and I wanted him to be a winner as a leader of a team. I thought it was a bad move to go to the Knicks via trade rather than FA back when he left Denver and I thought he should've left during his most recent FA period, if his goal was to win. I said back then that his window wouldn't be open for much longer and I didn't believe Phil would get it done in time for Melo to contend. I thought he should've pulled a Durant.

He's still really good but he seems to be at the age where he is regressing he probably makes too much money for anyone good team to want him.

For me it was the opposite. I'm not a Knicks fan, so I couldn't care less about them. I'm a Melo fan, and I wanted him to be a winner as a leader of a team. I thought it was a bad move to go to the Knicks via trade rather than FA back when he left Denver and I thought he should've left during his most recent FA period, if his goal was to win. I said back then that his window wouldn't be open for much longer and I didn't believe Phil would get it done in time for Melo to contend. I thought he should've pulled a Durant.

He's still really good but he seems to be at the age where he is regressing he probably makes too much money for anyone good team to want him.

The Durant situation was basically the perfect storm. There was nothing like that available to Melo when he was a FA

The Durant situation was basically the perfect storm. There was nothing like that available to Melo when he was a FA

True. I think back earlier in his career he did something different than Lebron and Bosh did(either took an extension, or didn't exercise an opt out clause), that made him miss out on being a FA in summer of 2010. Instead, he would've become a FA in summer 2011.

Could've been Lebron and Melo teaming up with Wade.

Melo missing out on that and then Amare's body falling apart basically elimanated any chance of a title team being built around him. The Knicks had a great, overachieving 2013 season around peak Melo, but come playoff time the entire supporting cast sucked. Chandler got badly outplayed by Hibbert, JR Smith was a complete mess, and Jason Kidd(just two years removed from starting for the champion Mavs) nearly went 0- for the playoffs from the field. Too bad. They could've beaten Indiana and got to the ECF. Would've been heavy underdogs, but who knows?

True. I think back earlier in his career he did something different than Lebron and Bosh did(either took an extension, or didn't exercise an opt out clause), that made him miss out on being a FA in summer of 2010. Instead, he would've become a FA in summer 2011.

Could've been Lebron and Melo teaming up with Wade.

Melo missing out on that and then Amare's body falling apart basically elimanated any chance of a title team being built around him. The Knicks had a great, overachieving 2013 season around peak Melo, but come playoff time the entire supporting cast sucked. Chandler got badly outplayed by Hibbert, JR Smith was a complete mess, and Jason Kidd(just two years removed from starting for the champion Mavs) nearly went 0- for the playoffs from the field.
[/QUOTE]

I think Melo took an extension a year early or something, I can't remember the details. I do wonder how it would have worked out if Melo was in place of Bosh; Bosh was able to do a lot of things, particularly defensively, that Melo just wouldn't be able to do.

That Knicks team had a great season, and then immediately seemed to not want to do the main thing that made them so good (small ball, spreading the court, etc). Very frustrating

Yes, that was a mistake, and it was forced through by Melo to make sure he got the then-max contract from Denver before he left. It was a short-sighted decision on his part since it gutted the Knicks' roster, which was very promising at the time.

If he had waited and then just moved as a free agent that summer, the Knicks would have had a playoff level collection of talent around him. But, no, Melo was focused on max dollars for Melo. Look what that got him, a good year with Amare, a good year with Tyson Chandler, a half a good month with Jeremy Lin. But none of those teams ever went anywhere.
fixed...

nothing drives me more nuts than Jeremy Lin talk.

Linsanity was not the blossoming of a superstar.

it wasn't even the blossoming of star NBA player, it was just what its called, it was 2 weeks of...LINSANITY.

and it was awesome.

but that all it was.

and lets not overlook him sitting out the playoffs with basically a fake injury too.

It all depended on what he valued. Nobody is required to take a max deal. During his first three championship years and many before, Micheal Jordan wasn't the highest player in the league, despite being viewed, especially once he started getting rings, as the best player in the league, and often made less than the highest paid player by a large percentage. '91 Ewing made nearly double and MJ was 8th (Ewing made more than MJ a number of years), '92 Bird made more than double and MJ was 5th, and '93 Robinson made nearly 2 million more, nearly 30% more.

If winning was the priority he could've taken a pay cut and put himself in a better situation. Somehow, I think he would've still gotten the bills paid.

It all depended on what he valued. Nobody is required to take a max deal. During his first three championship years and many before, Micheal Jordan wasn't the highest player in the league, despite being viewed, especially once he started getting rings, as the best player in the league, and often made less than the highest paid player by a large percentage. '91 Ewing made nearly double and MJ was 8th (Ewing made more than MJ a number of years), '92 Bird made more than double and MJ was 5th, and '93 Robinson made nearly 2 million more, nearly 30% more.

If winning was the priority he could've taken a pay cut and put himself in a better situation. Somehow, I think he would've still gotten the bills paid.

Mike's endorsement money was insane though. Between Nike, Gatorade, and McDonalds, he wasn't exactly hurting.

Jordan signed an awful 8 year contract in 1987. He made 25 million for that contract. His last 3 years with Bulls he made atleast 30 million per season.

All contracts post lockout were different because the NBA instituted the max contract after that lockout. The KG 126 million contract scared owners and so it went to max contracts depending on your amount of seasons, and now the Derrick Rose rule allows homegrown players who make all NBA teams to get even more to incentive players to stay. This is why the Kings traded Boogie Cousins. They didn't want to give him 225 million.

Sure, but that's nothing like "pulling a Durant"

Durant got basically the max salary for a season (give or take a million I think) and went to the best team in the league. That wasn't an option for Melo. He could have taken a much larger pay cut to play for a team that wasn't as dominant as the Warriors. They aren't really remotely the same.

And I believe Jordan was locked into a long term deal, it's not like he was taking less money to allow them to put more players around him. In fact, he hated that they were trying to find some money to bring Kukoc in.

Mike's endorsement money was insane though. Between Nike, Gatorade, and McDonalds, he wasn't exactly hurting.
Sure. What could've happened to Melo's marketability with a championship?

Whatever Melo would've made with a pay cut wouldn't have left him hurting either. Nobody making 8 figures annually is hurting. Any income over 1.1 million is in the 99.9th percentile.

NBA players and pundits now use salary to describe how good they think a player is as much as they do stats or championships. This guy is a max player or that guy is a mid level player. Salary is more about ego than it is about supporting a family.

Like I said when he resigned with the Knicks, it's his life. He had and has the right to do whatever he wants. I just won't ever believe winning was his highest priority. I think location and paycheck mattered more, in whatever order you'd like to place them.

Can't stand Stephen A. but he's pretty righteous here.
That's pretty awesome. I mean, that was just a train picking up steam.

Stephen A is pretty overzealous, overdramatic, and loud but I can't say I disagree with often. I think he's pretty spot on. He was awesome ripping that idiot father of Lonzo Ball to his face when they had him on First Take.

That was also a different CBA, where Krause back loaded MJ's contract and gave him something like $33million one year.

How much money would he have had to sacrifice to go to NY as a free agent? I think it was over $20M. I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing.

Yes, it was around that much - basically one extra year at the then-max salary. But the max salary has increased by around $7-8M since then and is going up again. Plus he could have signed a short-term free agent deal, or a deal with a player option after year 2, something like that, and then re-entered free agency and gotten another big payday (which would have been more likely, since the Knicks would have had a playoff team instead of a crap team).

It was short-term smart, but a total mistake if Melo was playing the long game.

Well, if Melo was playing for championships, he would've gotten excellent endorsement money, too, with that smile of his.

Yes, it was around that much - basically one extra year at the then-max salary. But the max salary has increased by around $7-8M since then and is going up again. Plus he could have signed a short-term free agent deal, or a deal with a player option after year 2, something like that, and then re-entered free agency and gotten another big payday (which would have been more likely, since the Knicks would have had a playoff team instead of a crap team).

It was short-term smart, but a total mistake if Melo was playing the long game.

Another part of the issue was there was a lockout pending that summer; Melo didn't know for sure where the max salary was going to go, so he wanted to get it locked in before there was a work stoppage.

Whatever Melo would've made with a pay cut wouldn't have left him hurting either. Nobody making 8 figures annually is hurting. Any income over 1.1 million is in the 99.9th percentile.

NBA players and pundits now use salary to describe how good they think a player is as much as they do stats or championships. This guy is a max player or that guy is a mid level player. Salary is more about ego than it is about supporting a family.

Like I said when he resigned with the Knicks, it's his life. He had and has the right to do whatever he wants. I just won't ever believe winning was his highest priority. I think location and paycheck mattered more, in whatever order you'd like to place them.
I don't doubt they make an obscene amount of money, but I think it is more than ego. They have a short period of time to make as much as they can to afford a lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

Limited shelf life. Maximize dollars. Winning is for fans.

I'm guessing Spearmint Rhino with two3zone

I swore off strip clubs after a business trip to Minneapolis in 07 when I got a credit card tab for $1800.

Too many women around town at bars I can actually hook up with instead of being teased by some broad with a meth problem that's putting herself through "med school".

I swore off strip clubs after a business trip to Minneapolis in 07 when I got a credit card tab for $1800.

Too many women around town at bars I can actually hook up with instead of being teased by some broad with a meth problem that's putting herself through "med school".
I always assumed the women you would meet in the bars in Vegas had meth problems too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom