Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career?

Dayshawn Wright is a great one... often forget about him... i believe he eventually became the first pick in the CBA

I do remember a Post-Standard blurb in fall 2004 quoting Hopkins as saying that Wright was the best rebounder on the team.

Still, not too many examples of 6'6" power forwards doing great things at Syracuse in the modern era. His ceiling was limited.

TRob was incredibly frustrating in many respects. But I agree--he earned a lot of respect from me for playing hard his senior year with the injury--that washed away a lot of the general sense of disappointment I had with him.

Were it not for the senior year, I'd probably be a bit more down on him. He was a nice kid, but I'd been irrationally optimistic about the Roberts/Watkins duo from Day One and found them...frustrating. That's the best word.

But Roberts easily could've taken a medical redshirt, sat out 2007, and watched his guys lose 15 or 17 games. Instead he busted his butt and helped them get into a position where they deserved an NCAA bid. Disappointing team, but he became an easy guy to root for. Glad the fans gave that group such a good NIT showing that year.

I don't know how anyone can include Paul Harris on an all-time most disappointing Orangeman list. Yeah did he make us scratch our heads, and did seemingly fail to live up to all of the "Chuck Norris" hype etc. ....but really???

In 3 years he became the 36th All Time Leading Scorer and 15th All Time Leading Rebounder to come through our fine program. All that while playing out of position (he really didn't have a position) The kid accomplished way too much to be on an All Time Disappointments lists.

Maybe you guys have forgotten guys like:

Winfred Walton
Mark Konecny
Ramel Lloyd
Mike Jones
Richard Manning
Chuck Gelatt
LaSean Howard
Rodney Walker
Michael Brown
Eric Williams
Anthony Harris
Earl Duncan
Tony Bland
Matt Gorman
George Papadakas
Dayshawn Wright
James Thues
Greg Davis
Sam Spann
Glenn Sekunda
David Patrick

This guy was a cancer and should not be included on any list. It was a blessing that he left the program. You say disappointing, i say his career was perfect. He stays we dont win the NC.
I say disappointing because he not only didn't perform all that well, but even went so far as to completely derail a team. He was by far the biggest disappointment. Paul was only a disappointment if you believed he would be all-world like was dreamed about before he finished his senior year at Niagara Falls HS. Otherwise, he was a decent player. I guess my #2 would have to be Terrance Roberts.. he just never could put it together but had all the athleticism in the world.

I'll never call TRob a disappointment just because when he was on a recruiting trip here, I saw him strolling down Marshall Street with three coeds, headed toward the Sheraton at about 2 AM. I had to give him a fist pump for that one.

Mark Konecny had the physical tools to become a monster, but was the absolute embodiment of the phrase "million dollar body, ten cent head"

I will add my name to the Josh Wright list, too. His four seasons are the only 4 season run in JB's era that failed to score at least one trip to the Sweet 16.

Mark Konecny had the physical tools to become a monster, but was the absolute embodiment of the phrase "million dollar body, ten cent head"

I will add my name to the Josh Wright list, too. His four seasons are the only 4 season run in JB's era that failed to score at least one trip to the Sweet 16.
i was surprised no one else mentioned konecny yet, thats who i was going to list too.

mike jones can also be brought up since he did a whole lot of nothing here with all the potential he had.

Coleman truly could've been one of the greatest ever. He had that kind of talent. That's what's disappointing.
DC had a solid NBA career; better than all but a few Orangemen. For NBA disappointment, it should be Owens, Flynn, and Pearl.

Carmelo Anthony transferred to the Denver Nuggets after Boeheim forced him out after one year.

DC had a solid NBA career; better than all but a few Orangemen. For NBA disappointment, it should be Owens, Flynn, and Pearl.

I always thought John Wallace would do more on the NBA level as well.

I don't know how anyone can include Paul Harris on an all-time most disappointing Orangeman list. Yeah did he make us scratch our heads, and did seemingly fail to live up to all of the "Chuck Norris" hype etc. ....but really???

In 3 years he became the 36th All Time Leading Scorer and 15th All Time Leading Rebounder to come through our fine program. All that while playing out of position (he really didn't have a position) The kid accomplished way too much to be on an All Time Disappointments lists.

Maybe you guys have forgotten guys like:

Winfred Walton
Mark Konecny
Ramel Lloyd
Mike Jones
Richard Manning
Chuck Gelatt
LaSean Howard
Rodney Walker
Michael Brown
Eric Williams
Anthony Harris
Earl Duncan
Tony Bland
Matt Gorman
George Papadakas
Dayshawn Wright
James Thues
Greg Davis
Sam Spann
Glenn Sekunda
David Patrick

I agree Paul Harris was a better player than any of the players you have listed, but the thread is about disappointments, not about general ability/contribution. That means comparing expectations to actual contributions.

Guys like Sam Spann, Greg Davis and David Patrick were nobodies in high school.

Harris was hyped more, IMHO, than any player we have ever recruited, with the possible exception of Carmelo.

How could you be more disappointed with what Greg Davis did in college than with what Paul Harris did?

Again, I loved Paul Harris at times as much as any player we have had here. And was more frustrated with him than any other player we have had as well. But I will support and enjoy watching any player who played as hard to Paul did. He was often a joy to watch, and often almost killed me as well. He was a fine player, the reason he was disappointing is all about the ridiculously high expectations surrounding him as he arrived on campus.

God love him, I wish him the best wherever he is these days, whatever he is doing.

Do you (and others) really think he'd have become a great player?

I have no idea what he was doing in practice and know very little about Konecny. I'd like to think I have a pretty good read on most players, but he's an absolute mystery to me.

I'd put Owens on the list. Might have been more talented than everyone (including Carmelo). Not a hard worker. Presided over the crushing Villanova/Richmond double (on a team that was 26-4 and viewed as a possible one seed going into New York), then left school because he didn't think we'd be any good in 1992.

I have no idea what he was doing in practice and know very little about Konecny. I'd like to think I have a pretty good read on most players, but he's an absolute mystery to me.
on paper he should have been atleast a good player. connecticut player of the year his senior year. averaged about 25 and 11 a game. so by all accounts he should have contributed here at some point. just didnt have a head on his shoulders to match his potential

but for every 4 star, state player of the yr like konecny, theres a kid like andy rautins whos barely recruited, works his butt off and goes on to a stellar 4 yr career on top of being drafted in the nba. its a crap shoot

I agree Paul Harris was a better player than any of the players you have listed, but the thread is about disappointments, not about general ability/contribution. That means comparing expectations to actual contributions.

Guys like Sam Spann, Greg Davis and David Patrick were nobodies in high school.

Harris was hyped more, IMHO, than any player we have ever recruited, with the possible exception of Carmelo.

How could you be more disappointed with what Greg Davis did in college than with what Paul Harris did?

Again, I loved Paul Harris at times as much as any player we have had here. And was more frustrated with him than any other player we have had as well. But I will support and enjoy watching any player who played as hard to Paul did. He was often a joy to watch, and often almost killed me as well. He was a fine player, the reason he was disappointing is all about the ridiculously high expectations surrounding him as he arrived on campus.

God love him, I wish him the best wherever he is these days, whatever he is doing.

Nicely stated, Tom. Feel very similarly about DoItA11.

I never saw him play myself, but a couple people whose opinions I put a lot of weight on did, and they were very high on him. They say he looked like he could have been the next great SU forward. As it turns out, he didn't do much with his talent so many dismiss him, but the idea is that his natural talent in SU's system with SU's coaches would have turned him into something special

The 2001-2002 team probably was the worst possible place for a freshman to be introduced to college basketball. Not a good situation for Konecny or anyone else.

I'll go with Josh Wright and Anthony Harris, with a hat tip to Red Bruin.

In the "Winfred Walton" category of recruits who never made it on thge court, I'll go with Karlton Hines.

This first two people who come to mind for me are Winifred Walton and Michael Lloyd.

I agree..Billy E.

I loved his game and I like the kid. He really wasn't a disappointment when he was able to play. I'm just disappointed that he was never able to get on the court any more than he did.

I loved watching him play the game. A great PG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom