Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career?

Matt Gorman.

True, he was not that highly rated coming out of high school, but every October we would read these amazing reports from the practice sessions about how he was dominating on the class and stepping outside to drill threes, every year we were led to believe that he was going to have a breakout season, and yet at the end of a five year career, the only unforgettable highlight was his surreal "Birthday Boy" video.

I was never that bummed out about him. I think he did about all he could be reasonably expected to do in his time. The most disappointing thing about Matt Gorman is that the Birthday Boy video was taken down a couple years ago.

Burgan's seven game suspension his Junior year didn't help much, but I always thought Burgan had an almost as good career as David Johnson. Burgan's junior and senior year were exciting teams, but definitely not our best.
I don't know. Johnson was nails as a junior and senior.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I don't know. Johnson was nails as a junior and senior.

Agreed. There was a qualitative talent differential between those two, no question. Burgan was pretty good, but Johnson was a top 25 caliber recruit who lived up to it his last two years, and parlayed that into a [short] NBA career.

We've had few 20 ppg scorers in JB's tenure; DJ was one of them.

I never saw him play myself, but a couple people whose opinions I put a lot of weight on did, and they were very high on him. They say he looked like he could have been the next great SU forward. As it turns out, he didn't do much with his talent so many dismiss him, but the idea is that his natural talent in SU's system with SU's coaches would have turned him into something special
I was working as a sports reporter for the Connecticut Post during Konecny's senior year at Holy Cross. When I read about his commitment, I went and asked the lead high school sports reporter, Dave Agostino, for his opinion. He kind of hesitated a bit and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, he's pretty good I guess, but...I just can't picture him playing Big East basketball." Dave knew CT high school sports inside and out, so I trusted his scouting report and from that point on I expected very little from Mark Konecny.

I also recall going to the 1992 NYS basketball finals and being very excited not just that my Bishop Ludden Gaelic Knights were playing for a state title but that I'd also get to see Bobby Lazor. I'd heard that he was going to be the next great Syracuse forward and expected to see him dominate in Glens Falls. I remember one of my friends and I looking at each other in confusion after the first half of Norwich's semi-final. Lazor was tall, but definitely didn't live up to the billing he'd been given. I wasn't surprised when he transferred out of SU, but I guess he did end up having a solid career at Arizona State.

how about an NCAA tournament version of rick jackson...he was absolutely pathetic multiple years

How about Andre Hawkins. Never more than a role player after coming in as NYS HS player of the year. Throw in some rape allegations too.

Preston Shumpert aka magic shell seemed like he could have offered so much more.
I guess the guys that showed flashes and disappointed bother me more than the guys that did nothing.

How about Andre Hawkins. Never more than a role player after coming in as NYS HS player of the year. Throw in some rape allegations too.
You beat me to it.
No question about it.
Huge expectations.
People forget (perhaps intentionally) that he was THE TOP HS player in the State of NY.
And all he did was basically throw his substantial (over)weight around for 4 years...and beat rape charges after that debacle BE tourney loss to BC.

I think Harris would have been a better fit at Pitt than at SU, probably would not have played at UConn. Personally, I think he was vastly overrated in HS.

Could not shoot, was not good at using his body inside, blocked out poorly, did not finish well (might have had more of his shots blocked during his career than anyone in major college basketball history). was a liability rebounding, etc.

I think he could have been a good to great man to man defender, but his athletic ability, like his basketball skills, was overrated. Great hustle, consistent great effort, but his weaknesses, coupled with an astonishing low BB IQ, made rooting for him a bipolar fan's dream.

man...that was harsh

Let us revel in the glow of players that exceeded expectations.
I nominate Dave Siock and wish we had him and his quick 5 fouls for Georgetown every year.

Avoided posting to answer this and I think it has beenpointed out. To me the player who had the most disappointed careers are the ones who left early. For instance, both Melo's. Carmelo could have lead SU to at least 1 or 2 more FF's if not anothe NC. If Fab could have stayed, another 2 yr and learned offense, then WOW. How would have SU done if Flynn, Waiters or Green had stayed for 4. And to comment on the other hand, Matt Gorman may have disappointed some but he stayed when he could have left after 4 years and that can never disappoint me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom