Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career?

Everybody looks good in AAU ball because nobody plays defense in AAU it is not as bad as a all-star game but it is close.

2. He seemed like the same player from day 1 until graduation

I know what you mean, but you could say that about a lot of guys. GMAC, for one. Forth was a great role player. Definitely not a carry the team on his back guy.

Yep - that's right about Ricky Harmon (that's what everyone called him back then). A bunch of years ago, my wife and I went to a bar in South Jersey (which is where he went to high school). The Nerds were playing. When we sat down, I noticed a bouncer that looked familiar. I asked the waitress, "Is that, by any chance, Ricky Harmon?" She looked at me a bit strangely, and said, "yeah, it is.". This was long after he left SU with the others after their freshman year (I can't remember the others or where he went, but Ron Payton stayed). So, she sent him over. He was genuinely shocked and pleased that I recognized him. Sat with us for 15-20 minutes and just talked. Really nice guy. He said leaving SU was the biggest mistake he ever made. We drank for free that night. :)

The other guy who left was named Ed Goodson or Ed Gooding or something like that.

I'll go with Josh Wright and Anthony Harris, with a hat tip to Red Bruin.

In the "Winfred Walton" category of recruits who never made it on thge court, I'll go with Karlton Hines.
I would add to your list Luther Ticky Burden, who might have been the most talented player to ever commit to and not make it to SU. As I recall a borrowed car incident just before he was to arrive on campus derailed his scholarship. A bad knee ended his pro career but what a talent. He later did time for robbing a local bank using his own car with vanity plates "TICKY" for the getaway.

Matt Gorman.

True, he was not that highly rated coming out of high school, but every October we would read these amazing reports from the practice sessions about how he was dominating on the class and stepping outside to drill threes, every year we were led to believe that he was going to have a breakout season, and yet at the end of a five year career, the only unforgettable highlight was his surreal "Birthday Boy" video.

The other guy who left was named Ed Goodson or Ed Gooding or something like that.
Yep, that's it. Ed Gooding. Payton was one of the three frosh to consider leaving, but was the only one who ended up staying.

This isn't meant to bash any player at all... just curious as to what you guys have to say... Obviously Mookie is going to be up there, Jones that is, but lets try to stay away from him... My number one guy hands down has to be Paul Harris. Really feel that he would have been great had he went to Pitt or Uconn. Just not seeing eye to eye with JB really hurt him and his confidence...Other guys up there for me: TRob and Louie... Thoughts?
Some nebver warmed up to Devo 's attitude. I loved it. Edlin was screwed and not in a good way. I was really disappointed with what Jeromy Knox did for us

Some nebver warmed up to Devo 's attitude. I loved it. Edlin was screwed and not in a good way. I was really disappointed with what Jeromy Knox did for us

Do you mean former footbal player Jamere Knox?

I thought Dayshawn Wright was going to be the next Ron Artest so that was my personal pick for biggest recruiting miss.

As for players Billy Edelin.. guy showed us a year of brilliance and then went AWOL.

Regardless, wish them both the best with whatever they are up to now.

While I love him and will root for him like Crazy...

Fab gets a vote. He broke out was killing it and shot himself with fencing.
Really?? Fencing??? How do you pass english academics as a South american but fail Fencing as a athlete? He never got to play for the big one.
:bang::bang::bang:

Yeah I knew i screwed up his name, damn!:bat:

All good, just trying to help out. It's a basketball thread but I know your love for 4.4 football players prevails all(distain for the GOP aside).

I agree with much of what's here, especially TRob and Donte. I haven't seen Marius Janulis's name up yet. I was always expecting this European marksman and he just never seemed to have a big night.

I would add to your list Luther Ticky Burden, who might have been the most talented player to ever commit to and not make it to SU. As I recall a borrowed car incident just before he was to arrive on campus derailed his scholarship. A bad knee ended his pro career but what a talent. He later did time for robbing a local bank using his own car with vanity plates "TICKY" for the getaway.
Nice article in the Albany Times Union about his last week. Hoping to get a movie made about his life. I used to watch him play summer league. One time Charlie Leigh, who played for the Dolphins, really schooled him. Didn't happen often, in fact in last week's article, he talked about the time he played one on one vs Dr. J.

Josh Wright was the biggest bust IMO.
Remember when Wright, A.J. Price and Kyle Lowery were all being recruited and were all consider equal talents? Well those other two guys are in the NBA and Josh played in the king of kings this year...

For me it's Billy E, I loved his game and everything he did for us our year. Dominating Chris Thomas, just being a floor general and able to back down opposing point guards and get his own. It was the biggest disappointment not getting to see anymore of that.

Good call - Tony Scott and Rodney Walker should probably enter this conversation at some point. And, continuing on the transfer kick, Earl Duncan. All highly-hyped as high schoolers, all potential difference-makers, all transferred away from teams that fell just short of national championships.

Was Tony Scott that hyped? He was out of Rochester, right? I thought he was a 4 star player - meaning around 40th to 75th in the country.

Was Tony Scott that hyped? He was out of Rochester, right? I thought he was a 4 star player - meaning around 40th to 75th in the country.

I was thinking four-star, too. Pretty decent hype, especially contrasted with his production (nothing special, missed the late shot against Minnesota, and maybe a late miss against Illinois, too?) and the fact that he contributed to probation.

Remember when Wright, A.J. Price and Kyle Lowery were all being recruited and were all consider equal talents? Well those other two guys are in the NBA and Josh played in the king of kings this year...

Agreed, we got the bad end of that deal. Was it a first come, first served deal? I forget.

I would say Todd Burgan after his sophomore year.
I know he led the team with 17.6 ppg his senior year, but I seem to recall a lot of bad shots and decisions.
He was a critical part of the '96 FF team but didn't seem to live up to the promise he showed after his sophomore year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Matt Gorman.

True, he was not that highly rated coming out of high school, but every October we would read these amazing reports from the practice sessions about how he was dominating on the class and stepping outside to drill threes, every year we were led to believe that he was going to have a breakout season, and yet at the end of a five year career, the only unforgettable highlight was his surreal "Birthday Boy" video.

Hey now.

2002, I think this was pre-Midnight Madness so the first practice was Saturday morning. Everyone showed up to see Carmelo.
Gorman was matched up with Hakim and absolutely killed him - would back him down for easy 2's off the glass, then would drift out and hit probably 4 three's in his face, no hesitation.

I walked out of Manley into the snow and yelled WE HAVE THE BEST TWO FRESHMEN IN THE COUNTRY. It wasn't an entirely false statement.

I would say Todd Burgan after his sophomore year.
I know he led the team with 17.6 ppg his senior year, but I seem to recall a lot of bad shots and decisions.
He was a critical part of the '96 FF team but didn't seem to live up to the promise he showed after his sophomore year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Burgan's seven game suspension his Junior year didn't help much, but I always thought Burgan had an almost as good career as David Johnson. Burgan's junior and senior year were exciting teams, but definitely not our best.

I gotta go Billy Edelin, when he played he was pretty much un-guardable. He couldn't shoot a lick, but he could get to the rim at ease and dish out beautiful passes if someone stepped in to double him. No way we win a National Championship without him, and then one day BOOM he's gone. What could have been...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom