Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Which Cuse player had the most disappointing career?

I'll go with Josh Wright and Anthony Harris, with a hat tip to Red Bruin.

In the "Winfred Walton" category of recruits who never made it on thge court, I'll go with Karlton Hines.
Red was a fine player and had a solid career here but he came came in hyped much like Paul Harris would years later. He was supposed to be our David Thompson or Darrell Griffith -- hard to live up to those comparisons.

I always felt like Roberts had the tools to be a lot more than he was, which was immensely frustrating, but I tip my hat to the guy because he basically gutted out his senior season on one functional knee.

TRob was a great athlete, but just never developed into a good basketball player. Great size, strong, good leaper - but catching, shooting, passing - that's where it got difficult for him. It's a shame because he seemed like a great kid with a strong work ethic and represented Cuse well. He was just overrated in high school because he could "out-athlete" other kids. Similar to Paul Harris.

But at least you can explain TRob and Harris. And despite their lack of progression, they made significant contributions to the program. Josh Wright on the other hand was always an absolute head-scratcher for me, especially when compared with the careers of Price and Lowry.

I think Harris was a victim of the way the roster came together . . . he would have been so much better as a power 2 guard (as he showed his sophomore year, after Devo went down) than as a smallish 3. Still, the thing that was disappointing no matter where he played was his defense. He was supposed to be a fire breathing demon on defense, but his bite never came close to matching his bark.

I think Harris was a victim of the way the roster came together . . . he would have been so much better as a power 2 guard (as he showed his sophomore year, after Devo went down) than as a smallish 3. Still, the thing that was disappointing no matter where he played was his defense. He was supposed to be a fire breathing demon on defense, but his bite never came close to matching his bark.

Pretty much agree. When you are a 2 or 3, if you can't shoot the three pointer, you pretty much HAVE to be in a lineup where the point and the other swoingman can shoot threes and it helps a lot if the four can shoot them too. Paul was most effective as a power 2, but we couldn't afford to have a complete non-shooter playing there.

Also, note the proliferation of short point guards and short, stocky small forwards on the list of SU disappointments.

Mark Konecny had the physical tools to become a monster, but was the absolute embodiment of the phrase "million dollar body, ten cent head"

I will add my name to the Josh Wright list, too. His four seasons are the only 4 season run in JB's era that failed to score at least one trip to the Sweet 16.

And don't forget the fact that he quit the team right before he would have had major minutes as Jonny's backup once Eric went down.

Those 06-08 teams were really quite forgettable except for that one miracle BET.

This isn't meant to bash any player at all... just curious as to what you guys have to say... Obviously Mookie is going to be up there, Jones that is, but lets try to stay away from him... My number one guy hands down has to be Paul Harris. Really feel that he would have been great had he went to Pitt or Uconn. Just not seeing eye to eye with JB really hurt him and his confidence...Other guys up there for me: TRob and Louie... Thoughts?
Add two more names, Rick Harmon and Michael Brown, huge talents that didn't use the possibilities

Add two more names, Rick Harmon and Michael Brown, huge talents that didn't use the possibilities
Harmon hurt his knee and was never the same player after that. Before the knee, he played alot like Brandon Triche. Michael Brown,Mike Jones and especially Josh Wright have no such excuses.

Harmon hurt his knee and was never the same player after that. Before the knee, he played alot like Brandon Triche. Michael Brown,Mike Jones and especially Josh Wright have no such excuses.
Yep - that's right about Ricky Harmon (that's what everyone called him back then). A bunch of years ago, my wife and I went to a bar in South Jersey (which is where he went to high school). The Nerds were playing. When we sat down, I noticed a bouncer that looked familiar. I asked the waitress, "Is that, by any chance, Ricky Harmon?" She looked at me a bit strangely, and said, "yeah, it is.". This was long after he left SU with the others after their freshman year (I can't remember the others or where he went, but Ron Payton stayed). So, she sent him over. He was genuinely shocked and pleased that I recognized him. Sat with us for 15-20 minutes and just talked. Really nice guy. He said leaving SU was the biggest mistake he ever made. We drank for free that night. :)

Yep - that's right about Ricky Harmon (that's what everyone called him back then). A bunch of years ago, my wife and I went to a bar in South Jersey (which is where he went to high school). The Nerds were playing. When we sat down, I noticed a bouncer that looked familiar. I asked the waitress, "Is that, by any chance, Ricky Harmon?" She looked at me a bit strangely, and said, "yeah, it is.". This was long after he left SU with the others after their freshman year (I can't remember the others or where he went, but Ron Payton stayed). So, she sent him over. He was genuinely shocked and pleased that I recognized him. Sat with us for 15-20 minutes and just talked. Really nice guy. He said leaving SU was the biggest mistake he ever made. We drank for free that night. :)

That is an outstanding story!

Anthony Harris. He was the next greatest thing coming out of Connecticut and was a COMPLETE waste of space. Thankfully Lawrence Moten was a part of that class.

This isn't meant to bash any player at all... just curious as to what you guys have to say... Obviously Mookie is going to be up there, Jones that is, but lets try to stay away from him... My number one guy hands down has to be Paul Harris. Really feel that he would have been great had he went to Pitt or Uconn. Just not seeing eye to eye with JB really hurt him and his confidence...Other guys up there for me: TRob and Louie... Thoughts?
Gotta be Mike Jones and Josh Wright. Both just pissed away whatever talent and opportunity they had, both at SU and afterwards. Total and complete disappointments with no worthy contributions made while on the roster.

PG Josh Wright
2G Rock Lloyd/ Earl Duncan
SF Harris
PF TROB
C Forth

PG Josh Wright
SF Harris
PF TROB
C Forth

Everyone hates to disparage Forth and would much rather write him off as a limited player who did all the right things for us. But he was a pretty highly-regarded recruit, at least according to the press and the Syracuse staff (someone posted an Al Skinner quote some time ago that suggests that he did not agree).

I don't know how anyone can include Paul Harris on an all-time most disappointing Orangeman list. Yeah did he make us scratch our heads, and did seemingly fail to live up to all of the "Chuck Norris" hype etc. ....but really???

In 3 years he became the 36th All Time Leading Scorer and 15th All Time Leading Rebounder to come through our fine program. All that while playing out of position (he really didn't have a position) The kid accomplished way too much to be on an All Time Disappointments lists.

Maybe you guys have forgotten guys like:

Winfred Walton
Mark Konecny
Ramel Lloyd
Mike Jones
Richard Manning
Chuck Gelatt
LaSean Howard
Rodney Walker
Michael Brown
Eric Williams
Anthony Harris
Earl Duncan
Tony Bland
Matt Gorman
George Papadakas
Dayshawn Wright
James Thues
Greg Davis
Sam Spann
Glenn Sekunda
David Patrick
and Chris Zerebko

Sam Perkins
Anthony Davis
Michael Vick

Everyone hates to disparage Forth and would much rather write him off as a limited player who did all the right things for us. But he was a pretty highly-regarded recruit, at least according to the press and the Syracuse staff (someone posted an Al Skinner quote some time ago that suggests that he did not agree).
I'm with u man... I didn't have a problem with Forth... ya he'd awkwardly miss a gimme every now and then, but he ate up space and played hard.

Michael Brown was who immediately came to mind for me. I remember him being touted as "the greatest shooter ever" and he came from Dunbar. He was supposed to be a "can't miss" (pun intended). Never did anything.

What's funny with Forth is that playing AAU he was a totally different player. He seemed much more at ease running the floor and shooting 10 to 15 footers. When you watched him in HS games and at Syracuse he was definite more tentative and seemed "afraid". I think he should not be even mentioned in this thread, but I'll never forget that NCAA game vs Alabama where JB benched him after him playing only seven minutes. His stat line was four offensive rebounds and three turnovers. That was a game that we never should have lost but Bama forced 17 turnovers and DNic was in foul trouble and never got started.

What's funny with Forth is that playing AAU he was a totally different player. He seemed much more at ease running the floor and shooting 10 to 15 footers. When you watched him in HS games and at Syracuse he was definite more tentative and seemed "afraid". I think he should not be even mentioned in this thread, but I'll never forget that NCAA game vs Alabama where JB benched him after him playing only seven minutes. His stat line was four offensive rebounds and three turnovers. That was a game that we never should have lost but Bama forced 17 turnovers and DNic was in foul trouble and never got started.

He always looked a bit sad (and very tentative) on the court. Sorry I didn't get to see him in AAU, but I've heard the same thing. Not sure why things didn't click for him at SU.

I'm with u man... I didn't have a problem with Forth... ya he'd awkwardly miss a gimme every now and then, but he ate up space and played hard.

Plus, if you'd told us in 2000 that he'd win over 100 games and a national championship, we'd all sign up for that.

PG Josh Wright
SF Harris
PF TROB
C Forth
Forth never became an AA, but how he ends up on a list of disappointments is beyond me. 4 year starter, did everything asked, very coachable, great representative of SU in perpetuity, NC, had big games in the NC run. He was a highly regarded recruit because you can't teach someone to be 7 feet tall, and he played in Albany against marginal talent. JB has a soft spot for local talent. Any more of an expectation than what he gave is just uninformed and unfair. His on court contributions are worthy of the middle of the SU pack, but nowhere near the bottom.

Which bar was this?I only ask because I also like to drink for free.

... Any more of an expectation than what he gave is just uninformed and unfair. His on court contributions are worthy of the middle of the SU pack, but nowhere near the bottom.

I think that shows a misunderstanding of the topic (which is, of course, vaguely defined).

I won't pretend to guess where Forth's on-court contributions stack up (or against whom they stack up), but it's not really an achievement designation. We're talking more about achievement versus expectations (or talent). So Forth could be nowhere near the bottom but still a "disappointment" (which I'm reluctant to tag him as).

I think the case for (or against) Forth comes down to 2 things:

1. He was fairly highly recruited/hyped and
2. He seemed like the same player from day 1 until graduation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors