While we could always use more talent our OL is the major problem. | Syracusefan.com

While we could always use more talent our OL is the major problem.

Alsacs

Living Legend
We could always use an upgrade at WR, TE, RB, QB or another stud DE, LB, DB those positions are fine.

The OL can’t get any push and is blowing up a play or two every single drive.

Dino needs to change the OL coach and upgrade this position. If we just become average again at OL we have the talent and schedules to win 7-8 games a year.
This OL without doubt is the worst in FBS college football.
I counted FIVE procedural penalties AT HOME last night. That is inexcusable at home without crowd noise. They ruined possessions. Can’t any of the RBs help with pass blocking blitzes?

We need help on OL.

1571491132511.png

Maybe the worst OL I've had the displeasure to witness at SU.
Maybe a little hyperbolic, but the key here is that the expectations were so much higher then this garbage we've been witness to.
I still believe in HCDFB, but we need a turnaround of MAJOR proportions these last few games. Right now, we just stink.

And then people wonder why HCDB demeanor has changed.

We’re in the red zone with 3rd and 2, call an awesome play on an inside handoff to the TE - who had an easy first down and maybe more - but a false start pushes it back to 3rd and 7. Then a sack bc now we have to pass. Then miss a FG.

And people wonder. Smh

Last edited:
And then people wonder why HCDB demeanor has changed.

We’re in the red zone with 3rd and 2 call an awesome play on an inside handoff to the TE - who had an easy first and maybe more - but a false start pushes it back to 3rd and 7. Then a sack bc now we have to pass. Then miss a FG.

And people wonder. Smh

It’s his team. His players.

If I was Dino I would have let Cavanaugh hitchhike back from Raleigh.

It’s his team. His players.

If I was Dino I would have let Cavanaugh hitchhike back from Raleigh.

It’s his team and what?

The look on his face when that false start happened said it all. He’s beside himself. He looked torn somewhere between going ape sht or crying.

He won’t do it because it’s not who he is but some of these kids need a serious on field undressing. I frankly would’ve benched the kid and put someone else in. That’s sometimes how you send a message.

Last edited:
It’s his team and what?

The look on his face when that false start happened said it all. He’s beside himself. He looked torn somewhere between going ape sht or crying.

He won’t do it because it’s not who he is but some of these kids need a serious on field undressing. I frankly would’ve benched the kid and put someone else in. That’s sometimes how you send a message.

Sorry I didn’t see his face because I was at the game wasting my time/money/emotions on a burning tire fire.

Based on sideline demeanor I think a lot of these kids could use a good undressing.

Yes, the OL is a mess and is the unit that is in most disrepair. Changes need to be made in the coaching of that position. Having said that, it's also the lousy play-calling that is killing our offense. We are way too predictable and we are way too easy to defend in the Red-zone. We first begin each game feeling like we are a power-running team and when that illusion is crushed, after numerous 3 and outs; we just revert to the long passing game. We have good TE's we seldom use and decent RB's that we can't properly scheme for. We are a mess, right now. Dino must suck it up and make changes if we are to have any kind of respectable rest of our season.

We could always use an upgrade at WR, TE, RB, QB or another stud DE, LB, DB those positions are fine.

The OL can’t get any push and is blowing up a play or two every single drive.

Dino needs to change the OL coach and upgrade this position. If we just become average again at OL we have the talent and schedules to win 7-8 games a year.
This OL without doubt is the worst in FBS college football.
I counted FIVE procedural penalties AT HOME last night. That is inexcusable at home without crowd noise. They ruined possessions. Can’t any of the RBs help with pass blocking blitzes?

We need help on OL.
Thank you X1000.

Finally, a rational post.

Other than the Maryland game, the D has played well enough to win every other game (yes, including Clemson - D set O up on a silver platter to cut deficit to single digits midway through the third quarter and O couldn't get it done. Doesn't mean we win that game; in fact, highly unlikely we do but D did play well enough to give us a chance).

We now even have some depth on D as we have continued to play well despite injuries to key starters.

Last year, we all saw what TD can do when given time to throw.

We do have talent at the skill positions. Jackson having a monster season despite the offensive shortcomings.

If O line could even play to last year's level, we are probably anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 and right on schedule.

Unfortunately, we probably have a bottom 5 P5 oline this year and that has derailed everything for this year.

Need to upgrade that unit for TD's last two years. Do that and we'll be fine.

While I believe we lost talent to graduation, I wonder how much having a mobile QB last year covered up some holes in the O Line. It’s hard to believe we’ve dropped off this much in one year.

Yes, the OL is a mess and is the unit that is in most disrepair. Changes need to be made in the coaching of that position. Having said that, it's also the lousy play-calling that is killing our offense. We are way too predictable and we are way too easy to defend in the Red-zone. We first begin each game feeling like we are a power-running team and when that illusion is crushed, after numerous 3 and outs; we just revert to the long passing game. We have good TE's we seldom use and decent RB's that we can't properly scheme for. We are a mess, right now. Dino must suck it up and make changes if we are to have any kind of respectable rest of our season.
earth to Oz...it doesn't matter what you call when you don't block...

And unless there are 5 guys standing on the sideline who can both make to the snap without moving and then block the guy in front of them once the ball is snapped, there is going to just be more of the same for the rest of the season
"...our OL is the major problem"

View attachment 171713
Again, read some of the other posts...posters wanting wholesale coaching changes, getting rid of the entire staff; it's the play calling; it's the QB;

I mean, I also get that if you attach poster names to some of those posts, it's the usual set of clueless trolls but, still, there are other posters "liking" those posts...

Those posters clearly not recognizing, or just paying lip service to, the impact of the O line problems...

earth to Oz...it doesn't matter what you call when you don't block...
There are copious examples of coaches who have had less OL talent and managed to make due. If you have a weak aspect of your team; you must use schemes that allow success. The problem with our offense is multidimensional; an OL that can't block and offensive play-calling that pretends we can!

There are copious examples of coaches who have had less OL talent and managed to make due. If you have a weak aspect of your team; you must use schemes that allow success. The problem with our offense is multidimensional; an OL that can't block and offensive play-calling that pretends we can!
Really? Find me a single example of a team with an Oline with our stats and rankings that has had success...

Yeah, that sounds cool and all. But that’s all you’re trying to do.

I’m not a player, I’m not a coach, I’m not the AD, I am a fan with season tickets and 5k posts on a internet message board for other irrational fans. Please tell me what I or we as a collective fan base should do other than trying to sound cool?

I guess I could vote with my feet and drop my season tickets but I’m not sure that’s going to help either.

While I believe we lost talent to graduation, I wonder how much having a mobile QB last year covered up some holes in the O Line. It’s hard to believe we’ve dropped off this much in one year.

I think that is true, don't forget how much Notre Dame dominated our O-line last year after Dungey went out. And they were much more talented/experienced than this year's line

Maybe the worst OL I've had the displeasure to witness at SU.
Maybe a little hyperbolic, but the key here is that the expectations were so much higher then this garbage we've been witness to.
I still believe in HCDFB, but we need a turnaround of MAJOR proportions these last few games. Right now, we just stink.
Greg Paulus says hello

Two good assistant coaches who could help.
Brian Scott: ODU
Chris Bache: Stoney Brook.

It’s his team and what?

Sorry I didn’t see his face because I was at the game wasting my time/money/emotions on a burning tire fire.

Based on sideline demeanor I think a lot of these kids could use a good undressing.
You guys mean dressing down, right? Or do you ...

073EEDFF-3007-4A59-9F31-90A5F4337B12.gif

its really hard to tell if its talent/strength/or mental oline issues.. a bit of each on every play.

sometimes they get beat, sometimes they block the wrong guy, sometimes they just get run over..

some of it is handwork, some of it is footwork,

but when you dont really have one guy you really can run behind its a bit of a guess what will work play to play.

the fact that we are just not willing to move our best tackle out to tackle means we really dont trust any other center at all or maybe our best tackle isnt what many think he is..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom