While we could always use more talent our OL is the major problem. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

While we could always use more talent our OL is the major problem.

There are two things that bug me and neither requires talent. The first one for sure requires ZERO talent and that's the lack of mental focus- false starts require zero talent. zero.

The other thing that bugs me is the utter lack of explosiveness and getting any push. I don't believe you need talent here either, this is a combination of being coached up in drills, mental toughness, S&C, etc and/or maybe it's scheme. Some may disagree with this but when you see a Liberty and Holy Cross getting push it's not about talent. The consistent struggle on short yardage and run blocking to me is coaching (and maybe that's a result of scheme and philosophy.) Instead of power drive blocking it's back on your heels pass blocking. Maybe the repetitions over time erodes the explosive push.

Last edited:
he was a san diego assistant when deleone was their offensive line coach back in 97.

so once again, we can pin this shirtshow on D

DeLeone was always an excellent offensive line coach.
He and Paul couldn't call plays to save their lives, but he was great on the practice field. It's no accident that even when we were not that good, we still produced 1,000 yard rushers year after year after year.

he was a san diego assistant when deleone was their offensive line coach back in 97.

so once again, we can pin this shirtshow on D

Random but George hated working with NFL players at that time. That's why he came back so fast. Really bad experience in SD.

Random but George hated working with NFL players at that time. That's why he came back so fast. Really bad experience in SD.
Kevin Gilbride is Cavanaugh's brother in law - this was probably posted already but that's funny to me (i was not a gilbride guy from his time in buffalo - that's an understatement)

a third coach who is now at fresno st donated a kidney to cavanaugh's wife/gilbride's sister

that baylor scandal hurts us - there aren't as many coaches and assistants on that tree developing into guys who could be the line coach here. so we go to guys connected to gilbride, joe bugel, deleone, etc

i'm sure the principles apply to a lot of offenses but it would be nice if we had more briles tree leaves to pick

The other thing that bugs me is the utter lack of explosiveness and getting any push. I don't believe you need talent here either, this is a combination of being coached up in drills, mental toughness, S&C, etc and/or maybe it's scheme. Some may disagree with this but when you see a Liberty and Holy Cross getting push it's not about talent. The consistent struggle on short yardage and run blocking to me is coaching (and maybe that's a result of scheme and philosophy.) Instead of power drive blocking it's back on your heels pass blocking. Maybe the repetitions over time erodes the explosive push.

There was one play in the Pitt game where literally all 5 of them were pushed backwards into DeVito on a passing play. It was kinda horrifying.

Kevin Gilbride is Cavanaugh's brother in law - this was probably posted already but that's funny to me (i was not a gilbride guy from his time in buffalo - that's an understatement)

a third coach who is now at fresno st donated a kidney to cavanaugh's wife/gilbride's sister
That’s the same guy who took a swing at Buddy Ryan in a game isn’t it?

Fix the OL and all is well! Why does the OL need so much fixing in year 4. Some of these guys are 4 years into Dino's 'system' and this is the end result? If your guys are jumping offsides then make then run hill sprints until they vomit and then run then some more, then you know what? Run them some more. Not working? Put in someone else and let their arses get their head in the game on the sideline. How about RECRUIT better OL? Dino and his staff picked these players, developed these players, etc. So either their recruiting or development methods are failing miserably. You can blame the 5 guys in the huddle, but I blame the staff that put those 5 guys on the field. Was Marrone still using excuses about Grob in year 4? I don't think so. This is Dino's line and he and his staff need to be held accountable for such an atrocity.
Lol, ONE of these guys is truly 4 years in this system.

The rest havent been here that long and practice is useless with no game experience.

Lol, ONE of these guys is truly 4 years in this system.

The rest havent been here that long and practice is useless with no game experience.
Bullhockey just more excuses . Marrone had to rebuild his OL from the Gerg and was fully functional within 4 years. We have close to the worst OL in FBS football.

Bullhockey just more excuses . Marrone had to rebuild his OL from the Gerg and was fully functional within 4 years. We have close to the worst OL in FBS football.

Lol. Our was fully functional *last* year. So fully functional within 4 years.

Truth is that CFB churns and you lose guys to graduation and everyone assumes the next guys will be ok - but sometimes they’re not. Sometimes they need more time. Sometimes you need new coaching or new players. It’s just how it is - only a few programs at the very top have no issues on their OL year after year.

Lol. Our was fully functional *last* year. So fully functional within 4 years.

Truth is that CFB churns and you lose guys to graduation and everyone assumes the next guys will be ok - but sometimes they’re not. Sometimes they need more time. Sometimes you need new coaching or new players. It’s just how it is - only a few programs at the very top have no issues on their OL year after year.
Worst offensive line in P5 football. You can sing your excuses all day. We shouldn't be here at this stage.

Worst offensive line in P5 football. You can sing your excuses all day. We shouldn't be here at this stage.

Did I suggest that we were the best? Yeah, we suck on the OL. This idea that Marrone did something Dino didn’t is silly.

So to you, teams with 4th year HC’s all have fantastic OLs? It’s a steady and straight line no matter what?

IMO most o linemen are not ready to play before their redshirt junior years. Especially at a school like SU.

Did I suggest that we were the best? Yeah, we suck on the OL. This idea that Marrone did something Dino didn’t is silly.

So to you, teams with 4th year HC’s all have fantastic OLs? It’s a steady and straight line no matter what?
You should be functional after 4 years of coaching/recruiting. Maybe not great or even very good, but functional. Can't believe you gonna argue that.

No doubt. Syracuse had fallen into the abyss after the Grob years, what Marrone inherited was far worse than what Babers did after Shaffer. The onus of the offensive line's deficiencies and ineptness is 100% on Babers at this stage in year 4.

You should be functional after 4 years of coaching/recruiting. Maybe not great or even very good, but functional. Can't believe you gonna argue that.

Dino’s recruits are RS Soph, RS Frost, or true Frosh. They are too young to form a functional OL. The issue is more with Shafer leaving the cupboard bare.

Dino’s recruits are RS Soph, RS Frost, or true Frosh. They are too young to form a functional OL. The issue is more with Shafer leaving the cupboard bare.

Good grief. I guess with that sentiment, Shafer should be credited (at least in part) for our 10 win season last year.

So you're saying that Shafer left less in the cupboard than Robinson? That's what you're going with?

Trudo True Sophomore
Macky True Junior
Hickey True Junior

Reserves who saw significant playing time:
Nick Robinson True So
Jason Emerich True Frosh
Ivan Foy True So

Next Excuse?

Trudo True Sophomore
Macky True Junior
Hickey True Junior

Reserves who saw significant playing time:
Nick Robinson True So
Jason Emerich True Frosh
Ivan Foy True So

Next Excuse?

I don’t get your point can you try again in English?

I don’t get your point can you try again in English?
Sure you want me to draw a picture too? You claimed that you can't have a functional OL made up of 3rd year (RS-So), 2nd year(RS-Frosh), or 1st year(True Frosh) players. 3 of our starters in 2012 (Marrone's 4th year) were 2nd (True Soph) and 3rd (True Junior) year players. They were backed up on the two deep by 3 more 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year players.

Sure you want me to draw a picture too? You claimed that you can't have a functional OL made up of 3rd year (RS-So), 2nd year(RS-Frosh), or 1st year(True Frosh) players. 3 of our starters in 2012 (Marrone's 4th year) were 2nd (True Soph) and 3rd (True Junior) year players. They were backed up on the two deep by 3 more 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year players.

I never claimed you cannot have a functional OL. That is wrong. Your courting of years in the program is wrong as well. On top of that
the 2012 OL was experienced. They took their lumps the year before by being forced to play too early. Our team this year is doing similar.

Hickey was a returning starter true junior. His being forced to play early helped him develop. Pugh was a true senior. Btw how was that OL when he was hurt? Mackey was a true junior who was a returning starter that was forced to play too early. Trudo was a RS Frosh. Chibane was a true SR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom