While we could always use more talent our OL is the major problem. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

While we could always use more talent our OL is the major problem.

You absolutely said that and I quote "Dino’s recruits are RS Soph, RS Frost, or true Frosh. They are too young to form a functional OL"

My counting of years in the program is wrong? You may need more coffee

A RS-So is a 3rd year player
A RS-Frosh is a 2nd year player
A True Frosh is a 1st year player

A True Junior is a 3rd year player
A True Soph is a 2nd year player

Where exactly is my counting wrong?
Years in the program doesn't mean anything unless they play in games.

Practice can teach techniques but doesn't help unless they see game speed and different opponents.

A redshirt year is usually to get kids up to speed physically.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

This isnt the NFL where you can keep a great offensive lineman for 13 years with a contract. Every year kids come and go and when you have to replace 4 of 5, my friend you are in trouble.

And when coaches state in recruiting that aside from the 5 star guys that everyone wants, the whole recruiting game is a crapshoot. They are 100% telling the truth.

Guess what, we don't have those 5 star guys, shocker I know.

We have decent talent there but at the moment, they are young for sure, all 4 of those new guys are inexperienced at this level at the hardest position to learn as well as some playing out of position. They simply are not ready.

We are taking it on the chin this year while they get some experience in games.

Oh yeah, and Marrone was playing Big Least level teams, not the ACC.

Get a clue.

We had troubles blocking our non-P5 opponents. Pitt was also a big Least team. NC St is certainly not any better than the old WV.

Star light star bright, how many stars do i see tonight? I don't give a crapola about stars. I care about guys not completely missing assignments and committing penalty after penalty.

Many teams play younger linemen. Marrone did it with almost no depth. Spare me the experience argument. If what you say is true then every team out there would have disastrous lines every 3-4 years. That's not the case and you know it. It's not like we were surprised that people were graduating, like you said it's not the NFL, we know when they are going to leave years in advance! If we have nobody AT ALL ready to play then that's on the coaches.

Feel free to step off your soap box, your insults and ranting did not impress/convince me.

Years in the program doesn't mean anything unless they play in games.

Practice can teach techniques but doesn't help unless they see game speed and different opponents.

A redshirt year is usually to get kids up to speed physically.

So every new OL starter in the country sucks for a year? Now there's a hot take I can warm my coffee up with.

We had troubles blocking our non-P5 opponents. Pitt was also a big Least team. NC St is certainly not any better than the old WV.

Star light star bright, how many stars do i see tonight? I don't give a crapola about stars. I care about guys not completely missing assignments and committing penalty after penalty.

Many teams play younger linemen. Marrone did it with almost no depth. Spare me the experience argument. If what you say is true then every team out there would have disastrous lines every 3-4 years. That's not the case and you know it. It's not like we were surprised that people were graduating, like you said it's not the NFL, we know when they are going to leave years in advance! If we have nobody AT ALL ready to play then that's on the coaches.

Feel free to step off your soap box, your insults and ranting did not impress/convince me.

You're being disingenuous here. Answer this question, truthfully: How does an OL go from a 10 win season to the worst in the P5?

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

This isnt the NFL where you can keep a great offensive lineman for 13 years with a contract. Every year kids come and go and when you have to replace 4 of 5, my friend you are in trouble.

And when coaches state in recruiting that aside from the 5 star guys that everyone wants, the whole recruiting game is a crapshoot. They are 100% telling the truth.

Guess what, we don't have those 5 star guys, shocker I know.

We have decent talent there but at the moment, they are young for sure, all 4 of those new guys are inexperienced at this level at the hardest position to learn as well as some playing out of position. They simply are not ready.

We are taking it on the chin this year while they get some experience in games.

Oh yeah, and Marrone was playing Big Least level teams, not the ACC.

Get a clue.
Recruiting is not a crap shoot, which is why some do it better than others. There are teams that don't get the 5 star guys (most don't) that field consistently decent offensive lines. Keep in mind, nobody is asking the line to be dominant, just functional/average.

If we are going to take it on the chin this year to develop for the future, we better start doing it with younger players. 40% of the starters will exhaust their eligibility this season. So, will we use the youth excuse next year when we're replacing them?

With the exception of Clemson, nobody we've played this year is better than the Big East teams we used to play. In fact, the team that just beat us was in the Big East with us. Who left on our schedule is better than the Louisville and WVU teams we used to see when Marrone was coaching. Schedule is not a problem this year.

Last edited:
You're being disingenuous here. Answer this question, truthfully: How does an OL go from a 10 win season to the worst in the P5?
Poor development of the replacements. There are guys that don't play that are in their 3rd year. Players with decent talent should be able to be contributors by their 3rd year and improve beyond that as they mature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom