Who are we? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who are we?

I think most of us, while our eyes were closed, understood Baber's vision for this program when he took over. He confidently told us how much time it typically takes to install the "fast" offense and most of us patiently waited (while also being treated with some good wins and one great year). Most of us were also excited about the direction we were heading, but now, who the hell are we? What is the offensive approach? What is his vision? What is his plan to get better talent? Truly, is there a plan?

I will continue to support the team and root for success (always will). However, I just don't see how Babers can turn things around at this point. He can't seem to recruit, we've regressed as a program under his leadership, and have no identity as a program. I have serious concerns that he can really sell his vision to anyone anymore (whatever that vision is).

Dino Babers' Introductory Press Conference

Well, what did his "vision" entail?

(1) You're in the Carrier Dome, the house is filled; the feeling is electric; the noise is deafening. Grade: C-. There have been moments, but not enough of them, particularly of late.

(2) You have a defense that is relentless. Grade A-/B+. The defense has been very good, particularly of late. But it's young and lacking enough depth. I think you need to give Dino a lot of credit for firing his longtime DC and hiring a new DC to reinvent the defense. Dino will be tested moving forward in his ability to replace NFL-bound early departures in the secondary and to consistently find ACC-level players, particularly on the D line. He will also have the challenge of keeping the new DC, who is obviously the right guy for the job.

(3) You have a special teams that has been well-coached. Grade B, but shows a downward trend. Special teams had been very good to great, a definite plus, until the departure of a designated special teams coach. Because of this, I don't know who's responsible for the decline, but there has obviously been a decline, particularly in the punting. I think the team needs a designated special teams coach and a good one at that. What has been occurring lately is unacceptable.

(4) You have an offense that will not huddle and you have a game that is faster than you've ever seen on turf. Grade: Incomplete. This is the crux of this issue that is at the center of Dino's tenure. Maybe they will get back to this once Shrader has the "play book" down cold. (You can still go fast even in you don't have a deep-throwing game.) Or, maybe Dino has decided that, with the personnel he is able to recruit, he needs to reinvent his offense and he is making that transition now. Or, as the OP implies, he is now lost and doesn't know what he is doing. I think he should get credit for firing the old OC, but unlike the defensive hire, it is not clear whether his new OC is the right person for the job. There is nothing I hate more than repeatedly running up the middle for no gain for four series in a row like in the FSU game. The rest of the game showed promise, but I'm not yet convinced Sterling is the right guy.

Not mentioned in his introductory press conference: Intangibles. Grade: C. Dino is very likable, I want to see him succeed. He has his peculiarities, as we all do. The secretiveness and closed practices are maddening. I don't know how they'll get people back into the stands other than by winning. I had thought his players must like playing for him with 100% of the super seniors coming back, but there has been a lot of "churn" this season with the Portal. The clock management and 4th-down decisions have been questionable, but I don't think they've been as bad as the people repeatedly complaining about them have made them out to be. But I might be wrong.

I'm still on Team Babers, but six years is a long time. I'm glad he's been given time, but I don't know how much time he has left. I truly hope he figures it all out and SU begins to consistently win football games. Time will tell. LGO!

Would you feel better if 2018 was, let’s say, 8-5, and 2019 was let’s say 6-6 or 7-6? Because that’s pretty close to accurate. The 2018 team overachieved a little. The 2019 underachieved a little. 16 and 17 were just wiping the slate clean, and I think anyone could see his different SU was playing. Losing your starting QB repeatedly has a way of neutralizing that. Then there’s 2020. Say what you want about last year, we will probably never agree.
Also to say we regressed, means from before babers got here which the team was 4-8 for consecutive seasons. So there has only been one season that is below that in babers tenure. If they get 5-7 this year it still technically is better than the two season predating babers… this isn’t saying any fan should be happy with 4-8 or 5-7. Just pointing out the flaws in the argument. To say the team regressed is only regressing from his own success.

Weird stat from this year. In our 2 losses, we've outgained the opponent each time. Last year we were outgained in all 11 games, badly. Closest one was Georgia Tech, who outgained us by 96 yards.

If you outgain and lose it's typically because of turnovers or special teams. In our case, I'd say mostly specials, they need to improve for a team like ours.
We are pretty great at being a part of statistical outliers. Nothing crazier than our turnover margin though from 2 years ago. Or was it last year? Whatever it was, it was absolutely hilarious because it made no sense at all. Top 5 or so in country in margin?

True, but if you're outgaining, then you're probably stopping as many 3rd downs as your missing on offense.

I know most are good with the 4th and 2 call early on the 20, but I hope we start taking the points there (and actually making the FG).

A one yard punt (tough spot for a brand new punter, I understand), a missed XP, a missed 4th down, and a botched attempt for 3 at halftime. That's a 14 point swing. Doesn't all lie at the feet of special teams. They didn't get a chance for 6 of those points.

We're playing a better QB this week, but if we get after him like we did Travis, we won't have to worry about similar escape tricks.
I don't know much about their QB. Is he mobile?

Dino Babers' Introductory Press Conference

Well, what did his "vision" entail?

(1) You're in the Carrier Dome, the house is filled; the feeling is electric; the noise is deafening. Grade: C-. There have been moments, but not enough of them, particularly of late.

(2) You have a defense that is relentless. Grade A-/B+. The defense has been very good, particularly of late. But it's young and lacking enough depth. I think you need to give Dino a lot of credit for firing his longtime DC and hiring a new DC to reinvent the defense. Dino will be tested moving forward in his ability to replace NFL-bound early departures in the secondary and to consistently find ACC-level players, particularly on the D line. He will also have the challenge of keeping the new DC, who is obviously the right guy for the job.

(3) You have a special teams that has been well-coached. Grade B, but shows a downward trend. Special teams had been very good to great, a definite plus, until the departure of a designated special teams coach. Because of this, I don't know who's responsible for the decline, but there has obviously been a decline, particularly in the punting. I think the team needs a designated special teams coach and a good one at that. What has been occurring lately is unacceptable.

(4) You have an offense that will not huddle and you have a game that is faster than you've ever seen on turf. Grade: Incomplete. This is the crux of this issue that is at the center of Dino's tenure. Maybe they will get back to this once Shrader has the "play book" down cold. (You can still go fast even in you don't have a deep-throwing game.) Or, maybe Dino has decided that, with the personnel he is able to recruit, he needs to reinvent his offense and he is making that transition now. Or, as the OP implies, he is now lost and doesn't know what he is doing. I think he should get credit for firing the old OC, but unlike the defensive hire, it is not clear whether his new OC is the right person for the job. There is nothing I hate more than repeatedly running up the middle for no gain for four series in a row like in the FSU game. The rest of the game showed promise, but I'm not yet convinced Sterling is the right guy.

Not mentioned in his introductory press conference: Intangibles. Grade: C. Dino is very likable, I want to see him succeed. He has his peculiarities, as we all do. The secretiveness and closed practices are maddening. I don't know how they'll get people back into the stands other than by winning. I had thought his players must like playing for him with 100% of the super seniors coming back, but there has been a lot of "churn" this season with the Portal. The clock management and 4th-down decisions have been questionable, but I don't think they've been as bad as the people repeatedly complaining about them have made them out to be. But I might be wrong.

I'm still on Team Babers, but six years is a long time. I'm glad he's been given time, but I don't know how much time he has left. I truly hope he figures it all out and SU begins to consistently win football games. Time will tell. LGO!
Solid post.

I like going for it on 4th down. But sometimes I just think there's a smarter play.

35 yard line, sure. Odds of making the FG are much less. Even 30 yard line. But it was 20, middle of the field, down 3-0, just tie the game.

I guess also because I didn't have any confidence in the offense to convert that on the road at that point in the game.
I was hoping we would kick, but I understand the decision to go for it. My big issue with the scenario was the playcall and formation. It was pretty obvious that we were doing 1 thing: a run up the gut. Our 4th and short is wayy too predictable, which is why we haven't been very successful on those plays this year, imo.

I was hoping we would kick, but I understand the decision to go for it. My big issue with the scenario was the playcall and formation. It was pretty obvious that we were doing 1 thing: a run up the gut. Our 4th and short is wayy too predictable, which is why we haven't been very successful on those plays since Dungey graduated.

FIFY.

We are NOT good enough to just man-up vs. any ACC opponent and will our way to a 2 yard gain on 4th down. Never. gonna. happen.

Some sort of misdirection/trickeration is needed.

That playcall was the most obvious thing in the world, and on top of that, it was off a delayed handoff from the shotgun!!!
On what planet did Gilbert expect that to work???

FSU may have all sorts of issues, but - they have legit LARGE athletic humans on their D-line, and we were never, ever gonna get 2 yards just going up the middle there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom