Who do you want as the new OC? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

The more I think about it the more I want an O that features the TE. In college very few teams use the TE anymore. If we feature them, it could give us a competitive advantage. Especially given who the TE award is named after. Plus you could move TEs to DE if they are athletic enough and cannot catch. There are plenty of TEs rated higher than most kids in our class who are going to peer P5 schools or G5 schools from high schools in our recruiting area.

If we played 2 TE sets (one blocking and one receiving) it would help our run blocking. Both near the tackel box and outside. Do we really want our WRs blocking on the edge vs a TE? It would help our pass blocking. You could leave one or both in for pass protection. You could also have them chip the DEs on their route. It also helps for blocking on WR screens. If you throw to the TEs a lot and use something I believe that is called a play action, it will help keep the D honest vs the run. On top of that there are plenty of potential mismatches in coverage with a TE.

I don't think we can get a stable of quality WRs here consistently. Nor passing QBs. Those both don't seem to exist within our recruiting base. Running QBs and TEs seem easier to find.

I think someone mentioned him already but if not Kevin Johns at Memphis might be a good guy to get. He has Air Raid experience. He has been an OC at Northwestern, Indiana, and Texas Tech so he has the P5 experience. And all three were disadvantaged schools compared to the rest of their conference. He played QB and has been a QB coach. He seems to hit a lot of the boxes.

If he wants a HC job one day he will need to be a P5 coordinator again. So there is benefit for him to come here. He is young but experienced. He will have plenty of options should this be a one year gig. Especially if/when Kevin Wilson gets another P5 HC gig. He knows what it is like to go to a school with a HC on the hot seat (Texas Tech). He could use those lessons learned to help get things right here. Then again he might just say it isn't worth it given the past experience.

The more I think about it the more I want an O that features the TE. In college very few teams use the TE anymore. If we feature them, it could give us a competitive advantage. Especially given who the TE award is named after. Plus you could move TEs to DE if they are athletic enough and cannot catch. There are plenty of TEs rated higher than most kids in our class who are going to peer P5 schools or G5 schools from high schools in our recruiting area.

If we played 2 TE sets (one blocking and one receiving) it would help our run blocking. Both near the tackel box and outside. Do we really want our WRs blocking on the edge vs a TE? It would help our pass blocking. You could leave one or both in for pass protection. You could also have them chip the DEs on their route. It also helps for blocking on WR screens. If you throw to the TEs a lot and use something I believe that is called a play action, it will help keep the D honest vs the run. On top of that there are plenty of potential mismatches in coverage with a TE.

I don't think we can get a stable of quality WRs here consistently. Nor passing QBs. Those both don't seem to exist within our recruiting base. Running QBs and TEs seem easier to find.

This is a great line: "If you throw to the TEs a lot and use something I believe that is called a play action, it will help keep the D honest vs the run."

LOL. Very true, my friend. Football has moved away from some things (tactics, formations, etc.) that used to be very effective. Maybe going "old school" in certain ways will make us a little less predictable.

Go get Joe Brady. He just got fired from the Panthers. He will be back in college football in about 6 mins ...

Go get Joe Brady. He just got fired from the Panthers. He will be back in college football in about 6 mins ...
Not that I think Brady would be an option here, just noting that he got fired for "not committing" more to the running game despite Rhule asking him to.

I had thought Walt Bell should be on the list, but he has gone to Indiana

I think someone mentioned him already but if not Kevin Johns at Memphis might be a good guy to get. He has Air Raid experience. He has been an OC at Northwestern, Indiana, and Texas Tech so he has the P5 experience. And all three were disadvantaged schools compared to the rest of their conference. He played QB and has been a QB coach. He seems to hit a lot of the boxes.

If he wants a HC job one day he will need to be a P5 coordinator again. So there is benefit for him to come here. He is young but experienced. He will have plenty of options should this be a one year gig. Especially if/when Kevin Wilson gets another P5 HC gig. He knows what it is like to go to a school with a HC on the hot seat (Texas Tech). He could use those lessons learned to help get things right here. Then again he might just say it isn't worth it given the past experience.
I listed Johns on page 1, he’s really solid. OH guy, spent a good stretch at Northwestern and Indiana so he’s got direct experience in areas we do actively recruit. Memphis was 37th in total offense this year. Was also OC under Kliff Kingsbury for a year in 2018. Played QB, was a QB, and isn’t 70 years old. Younger guy that can connect with recruits. I like him a lot.

Last edited:

You want us to tell TE recruits that the Mackey award was named after a TE that played at Syracuse?

Just when I thought I'd heard it all.

Next thing you know, you'll be asking to mention the #44.

(the johnmackeyaward website makes no mention of Syracuse, just talks about his NFL career. How is this possible???)

I want an OC that’s young, full of piss and vinegar, wants to come in and prove his worth, turn the team around, and take over for Dino once his contract expires. Someone who knows what he could have here if he turns it around. Be the next Mac/Boeheim that’s here for years. And in turn that attitude transpires to the team and they can finally walk up to line of scrimmage with confidence and run a play without any confusion, mistakes or hesitation. I’m not asking for much, am I?

You want us to tell TE recruits that the Mackey award was named after a TE that played at Syracuse?

Just when I thought I'd heard it all.

Next thing you know, you'll be asking to mention the #44.

(the johnmackeyaward website makes no mention of Syracuse, just talks about his NFL career. How is this possible???)

The NFL still features the TE, but in college it seems to be going the way of the fullback. Just looking at the past 4 NFL drafts, if we had a TE friendly O we could have been in play for:

Noah Gray (Duke) played HS in Mass and went in the 5th round.
Harrison Bryant (FAU) played HS in GA and went in the 4th round. Won the Mackey.
Ian Thomas (Indiana) played HS in MD and went in the 4th round.

On top of that there are plenty of kids who aren't NFL players but are good college players like Provo and Wales. Even Pierce who was underused had good numbers. In 2019 Hackett and Benson who aren't stars combined for 31 catches 381 yards 9 TDs in a non TE friendly O.

I want Kevin Decker, currently the OC at Fordham.
Just looked him up. Yup. Perfect, sign me up and lets ride. I would love to see someone young like that with a proven track record at being the best offense wherever he is coaching. UNH QB in his day who was the captain of his team - so clearly he can connect and teach QBs. Dude is from NYC area. I mean NO BRAINER!

from his fordham resume:

"In 2020-21, Decker led a Fordham offense that led the Patriot League, and was 17th in the NCAA FCS, in scoring, averaging 31.7 points/game. The 2020-2021 Fordham offense also led the League and was 14th in the NCAA FCS in total offense (433.3 yards/game) and led the League and was sixth in the NCAA FCS in passing offense (349.7 yards/game). Junior quarterback Tim DeMorat earned Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year honors and was joined by five other Rams on the offense in earning First Team All-League accolades."

SIGN ME UP YESTERDAY

Just looked him up. Yup. Perfect, sign me up and lets ride. I would love to see someone young like that with a proven track record at being the best offense wherever he is coaching. UNH QB in his day who was the captain of his team - so clearly he can connect and teach QBs. Dude is from NYC area. I mean NO BRAINER!

from his fordham resume:

"In 2020-21, Decker led a Fordham offense that led the Patriot League, and was 17th in the NCAA FCS, in scoring, averaging 31.7 points/game. The 2020-2021 Fordham offense also led the League and was 14th in the NCAA FCS in total offense (433.3 yards/game) and led the League and was sixth in the NCAA FCS in passing offense (349.7 yards/game). Junior quarterback Tim DeMorat earned Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year honors and was joined by five other Rams on the offense in earning First Team All-League accolades."

SIGN ME UP YESTERDAY
Me too. Moorhead JR

Too toxic. If we want his O we can get Rod Smith. He was with Rich Rod as the QB/OC from 2007-2017. He was at UVA last year so he is somewhat familiar with the ACC. The system would fit our running game but it would do nothing to improve our passing game.
I want some of the toxicity. RRod got swag. Syracuse lacks a presence.

David Yost who was recently fired from Texas Tech. He is somewhat of a QB guru and really good OC.

Coached Brad Smith, Blaine Gabbert, and Chase Daniel at Mizzou.
Also coached Jordan Love at Utah St and Justin Herbert at Oregon for a season.

He had Utah St averaging 47pts per game and was top 20 in passing and top 35 in rushing.

Someone that we should definitely look at.

David Yost who was recently fired from Texas Tech. He is somewhat of a QB guru and really good OC.

He had Utah St averaging 47pts per game and was top 20 in passing and top 35 in rushing.

We have to really square the circle with this hire. Wildhack wants a QB guru but presumably next year we want an offense with a heavy run-emphasis to feature Tucker. That's our strength. Makes finding just the right guy tougher. TT had pretty good balance this year. Ironically the Big 12 collectively seems to be going back to balanced and running back featured offenses after years of spread and heavy emphasis on passing.

With his hair and Shrader's beard how could it go wrong?

We have to really square the circle with this hire. Wildhack wants a QB guru but presumably next year we want an offense with a heavy run-emphasis to feature Tucker. That's our strength. Makes finding just the right guy tougher. TT had pretty good balance this year. Ironically the Big 12 collectively seems to be going back to balanced and running back featured offenses after years of spread and heavy emphasis on passing.

We just need Shrader to be able to make throws and have the right pass plays be called. “Manage the game” if you will. Let Tucker go beast mode and control the game and clock.
Have to be able to beat the defense when they inevitably stack the box to stop Tucker. Shrader has to make them pay.

Give the OC a 2 year deal. Spend a few of the 4million SU saved by keeping The Dino for another year.
Yeah this is what it’s going to take. Dino is as good as gone. A new oc isn’t changing the dumpster fire offense in time. Pay someone big money and two years and we have a chance at getting someone who might be able to at the very least fix some issues and bring in some recruits.

We just need Shrader to be able to make throws and have the right pass plays be called. “Manage the game” if you will. Let Tucker go beast mode and control the game and clock.
Have to be able to beat the defense when they inevitably stack the box to stop Tucker. Shrader has to make them pay.
Who is he throwing to, our receivers have stone hands and are undersized. This is a huge failure with this staff. How can he not recruit wr to a passing offense. It doesn’t make sense.

Too toxic. If we want his O we can get Rod Smith. He was with Rich Rod as the QB/OC from 2007-2017. He was at UVA last year so he is somewhat familiar with the ACC. The system would fit our running game but it would do nothing to improve our passing game.
I’m sick and tired of the too toxic comments. I just want to win. I don’t care if he’s crude or likes to date around, I don’t care if he cheats on his wife, I don’t care if he swears, everyone needs to stop being so sensitive. With these rules jimmy Johnson and billparcels wouldn’t be options. I just want a good coach that can win here and put out this dumpster fire that is su football. Everyone wants a coach p type of personality, guess what we ran him out of town. Now let’s hire a proven winner