Who do you want as the new OC? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

Listening to the Locked On Syracuse podcast on the drive to work and they made a great point. If next year is bowl or bust for Dino, you have to sell an OC on potentially a one-year contract and that he could be gone if Dino loses his job next year. Going to be a tough thing to sell

Unless the guy is a former head coach. Then the question becomes, "Does Dino have the balls to surround himself with coaches who might be better than him, and how does he handle that?"

Unless the guy is a former head coach. Then the question becomes, "Does Dino have the balls to surround himself with coaches who might be better than him, and how does he handle that?"
not to date

How about Willy Korn from Coastal Carolina. Current OC/QBs coach. Is a young guy that has been involved in recruiting and overseeing special teams.

My best friend was Willy Korn's backup at Byrnes HS for a short time until he got kicked off the team for being a menace to society. Would be cool to have Willy in Cuse. At one time I believe he was the top HS QB prospect in the country.

I completely disagree. I think that OCs are always consulted with prior to their counterpart being offered. Any leader coach or business doesnt bring in top management without discussing things with his senior team. White is critical to SU and Dino turning this nightmare around and im sure he isnt going to wake up one day and find out who our new OC is. It doesnt work that day with a coach who isnt on the hot seat and it certainly wont work that way with this hire.

They do discuss it. “Hey, we’re hiring so and so. He’s from….. we think you’ll like him….. can’t wait for you to meet…..”

Very different conversation than this, “Hey coach, we have this OC DB really likes and he’s ready to come here but we don’t want to pull the trigger without consulting with you first. If you don’t like him then we’ll start the search all over again”. Sorry, I don’t think that’s happening and it shouldn’t.

Whoa, be careful. Someone went off on me the other day for suggesting this might be a thing.

Whoa, be careful. Someone went off on me the other day for suggesting this might be a thing.

I just don't think the theory would be a worry of Dino at this point. Makes no sense. He's been here 6 years, seems as though he's been told they'd love to keep him but he's going to need a 13th game.

Already has White in place. Now if he brings in a higher profile OC, passing offense looks better, and we win 6 games, they'll fire him and promote that OC? Even before White?

I guess it's possible, but just doesn't seem likely.

Another thing we should do, speaking of high profile dudes, or I guess I should say more experienced. Try filling an offensive and/or defensive consultant role that some former head coaches end up in. All depends on how much $ we want to spend.

Most coaches dont get multiple swings at OC DC. For Gosh sake he just hired Gilbert guy had a covid year and this year. Pretty poor choice.
He made a great call on White. A horrible call on Martin and Cav and decided to try some weird experiment on Special teams.
Dino hasn't exactly done a very good job in any aspect of running a major football program from recruiting to in game coaching.
He has run a very solid program outside of the stadiums but hes paid to win games or at a minimum field a competitive team.
Other than running a clean program he has failed at every possible area of measurement.
So yes im not a fan of his and dont believe he should be allowed to make hiring decisions without JW signing off.
Because i bleed Orange i hope that he turns it around and has a winning season next year. I simply dont see anything that leads me to believe he will.

Well stated. I disagree with you, but at least your thoughts are coherent and rational. I think sometimes things just don’t work out, even for good coaches.

To your last point, it doesn’t cost me anything to believe we will have a winning season next year, and that JW’s faith and trust is HCDB will pay off. So I’m going with that.

Zach Kittley at WKU is interesting. Not sure if he’d be interested and he’s reportedly a candidate at Auburn, but his offense at WKU is really outstanding

What's "obvious" is that Lewis is doing well in the MAC. Just like, I don't know...Babers did.
Yeah but…Lewis has a program on the cusp of a MAC championship that hasn’t won the league since 1972. Dino took over a successful Dave Clawson program

Yeah but…Lewis has a program on the cusp of a MAC championship that hasn’t won the league since 1972. Dino took over a successful Dave Clawson program
Yeah, I get that. The point the OP made was that it was "obvious" that Lewis was the "straw that stirred the drink" while he was here. I don't buy that. The only thing "obvious" was that they both did well in the MAC. and that Dino had a 10 win season in the ACC without Lewis.

Zach Kittley at WKU is interesting. Not sure if he’d be interested and he’s reportedly a candidate at Auburn, but his offense at WKU is really outstanding
All passing, they had almost 600 yards passing last night and negative rushing yards. As long as he can adapt the offense to be balanced, considering that running back we have, then he would be great

All passing, they had almost 600 yards passing last night and negative rushing yards. As long as he can adapt the offense to be balanced, considering that running back we have, then he would be great
I wonder who would throw passes in this scenario?

I certainly hope Dino, just like most managers in business, want to have people smarter than themselves working for them. I will readily admit there are those who can’t handle employees that are smarter. They usually have higher turnover.

The more I think about it the more I like Ryan Carty from Sam Houston. OC and QB coach for the defending FCS champs, they average over 40 points per game and are undefeated again this year, he has major East Coast roots as a Delaware alum and a pretty long stint coaching at New Hampshire, he was one of Chip Kelly’s last hires. It is also more likely that an FCS guy will be more willing to roll the dice on a potential one year gig in the P5. We can probably pay the guy 4-5X what he makes now too.

Last edited:
Kent St. offense has looked absolutely awful in this MAC championship game so far

Although they haven’t even really been on the field.

Now on the other hand, Northern Illinois offense looks impressive

Where do you get this stuff? No one is worried about waking a sleeping giant here.Half the league is 5-7 to 7-5.
Incorrect. Every team in the ACC is consumed by 2 things: Clemson and SU. It's obvious.

The more I think about it the more I like Ryan Carty from Sam Houston. OC and QB coach for the defending FCS champs, they average over 40 points per game and are undefeated again this year, he has major East Coast roots as a Delaware alum and a pretty long stint coaching at New Hampshire, he was one of Chip Kelly’s last hires. It is also more likely that an FCS guy will be more willing to roll the dice on a potential one year gig in the P5. We can probably pay the guy 4-5X what he makes now too.
I am enjoying this thread and wonder if the info below would be of concern to Dino and people who are helping to find a great OC/QB coach? He's been fine since 2012 so maybe this isn't appropriate.
Jersey roots

At 29 years old, Ryan Carty was too young by football logic to be the coordinator of a Division I college offense, but there he was calling the plays as the University of New Hampshire rang up 531 total yards and 38 points in opening the 2012 season with a victory at Holy Cross.

At 29 years old, Ryan Carty was too young by any form of logic to suffer a stroke, but there he was confined to a hospital bed, unable to feel the left side of his body and fighting his own weakened mind less than a week after making his impressive debut as a top assistant.

I am enjoying this thread and wonder if the info below would be of concern to Dino and people who are helping to find a great OC/QB coach? He's been fine since 2012 so maybe this isn't appropriate.
Jersey roots

At 29 years old, Ryan Carty was too young by football logic to be the coordinator of a Division I college offense, but there he was calling the plays as the University of New Hampshire rang up 531 total yards and 38 points in opening the 2012 season with a victory at Holy Cross.

At 29 years old, Ryan Carty was too young by any form of logic to suffer a stroke, but there he was confined to a hospital bed, unable to feel the left side of his body and fighting his own weakened mind less than a week after making his impressive debut as a top assistant.
Yeah it has been 9 years so probably not too concerning

I certainly hope Dino, just like most managers in business, want to have people smarter than themselves working for them. I will readily admit there are those who can’t handle employees that are smarter. They usually have higher turnover.

Well, so far he's hired a few real duds, along with a family member. So, does he really?

Bingo

Thanks, rocklloyd, the logic of this is so obvious. The managers need to keep their smarter people very close and in great communication, if they in fact, want to retain their people but should know coming in that the situation is that those smarter people are going to be recruited and looking themselves if they do well.

The money has to be there in the first place and then more for decent raises should someone else offer the coach can then counter.

If the position is much better, there's not much you can do however.

Thanks, rocklloyd, the logic of this is so obvious. The managers need to keep their smarter people very close and in great communication, if they in fact, want to retain their people but should know coming in that the situation is that those smarter people are going to be recruited and looking themselves if they do well.

The money has to be there in the first place and then more for decent raises should someone else offer the coach can then counter.

If the position is much better, there's not much you can do however.

Six years in, how much evidence do we have that this is what he does?

How many of his assistants have gone on to greater success? One, so far?

If he was actually hiring people who were better coaches than him, he wouldn't have 5 out of 6 losing seasons, and we would be getting better, wouldn't we?