Who do you want as the new OC? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

Do those exist? We would need a guy who is on a staff that just got fired or an NFL guy who is on a staff that gets fired. Please no Jason Garret.

Edit

If that is the number 1 requirement IMO that shows that JW has a complete lack of understanding the situation. How can an OC develop someone by game 1 of next season? It just isn't happening. If this were year 1 of Dino then sure we can chose any OC and any system. Next season is Bowl or bust. We don't have time for development.
I suspect there will be a lot of potential OCs that fit the QB development criteria. I don't agree with the take that JW has a "complete lack of understanding." I think JW and Dino have a mutual understanding on what needs to improve - having a more balanced offense while still featuring Tucker. The OC won't be starting from ground zero, even though Shrader has a lot to work on to be dual threat.

I was surprised at the level of detail JW went into in regards to the team. His finger is on the pulse. Specifically referencing recruiting rankings and individual position/unit deficiencies.

I suspect there will be a lot of potential OCs that fit the QB development criteria. I don't agree with the take that JW has a "complete lack of understanding." I think JW and Dino have a mutual understanding on what needs to improve - having a more balanced offense while still featuring Tucker. The OC won't be starting from ground zero, even though Shrader has a lot to work on to be dual threat.
My point is we aren't going to magically have a more balanced O from Spring practice alone. It is going to take time. The further away the new O is from a QB run based O the longer that time will take. Given next year's schedule it will be a minor miracle to get to 6 Ws with a passing O system and our current talent.

Long term it makes sense to have an OC who can develop QBs. No OC is going to be able to develop Shrader by next August.

I was surprised at the level of detail JW went into in regards to the team. His finger is on the pulse. Specifically referencing recruiting rankings and individual position/unit deficiencies.

That’s part of the reason it was a great presser. Detail and no sidestepping. But of course 2 mins in we had a few people screaming how bad it was just because.

That’s part of the reason it was a great presser. Detail and no sidestepping. But of course 2 mins in we had a few people screaming how bad it was just because.
I do agree that it was very strong, whether anyone agrees with the decision or not. Direct and strong.

Most AD’s I’ve talked to are more business/admin centered and couldn’t get into any real detail about the sport/team.

McNabb and Graves. And the ND offense that broke plenty of passing records. The Randall kid at VT when he set VT passing records. Also Jackson and Fabre at Minnesota.
I still have dreams about Michael Vick running Kevin Rogers offense.

Jake brought up Sean Lewis in another thread. It looks like Lewis makes $450k per. We could double that. He seemed to be more creative and aggressive and was good recruiting. He called the offense in our bowl season that everyone liked. How about bringing him back?
Why would he want to give up his HC position to be an OC again? His next step should be HC at larger program.

I thought Wildhack was very much in tune with all the issues with this program. He was very clear and understands the nuts and bolts that need to be in place to be successful. I thought he was in total control and right on with his assessment.

A guy that can develop Qb’s, like Wildhack said.

The single biggest problem with this team was lack of a credible pass game. The number one issue was the Qb.

The second was the protection.

Ive said it from fan fest, Shrader needs a swing coach.

Single biggest issue was the oline and lack of depth. That impacted GS being able to develop as a better passer or at least competent looking passer on a regular basis. We def need a guy that can develop a QB.

Guess it’s a chicken or the egg argument though. Improve each one a little and things would likely have been very different this year.

Someone who is organized, disciplined, and uses the middle of the field/TE.

Lol you know your expectations are low when that's all you're asking for...
Shrader showed a lot more accuracy using the middle of the field. We should be throwing to the middle 80 percent of the time. Mix in some screens and a couple deep shots. That's the whole passing game.

Why would he want to give up his HC position to be an OC again? His next step should be HC at larger program.
CL at this time I would like to defer to Jake with whom I was paraphrasing to provide a viable answer that you won't immediately scorn. Jake? All you!.....(crickets)... Damn! Ok I will wing it. Double plus salary...if he turns offense successfully likely a P5 offer to head coach and that's all I got CL. Hey in fairness it's less crazy than other names being tossed around. :)

Do those exist? We would need a guy who is on a staff that just got fired or an NFL guy who is on a staff that gets fired. Please no Jason Garret.

Edit

If that is the number 1 requirement IMO that shows that JW has a complete lack of understanding the situation. How can an OC develop someone by game 1 of next season? It just isn't happening. If this were year 1 of Dino then sure we can chose any OC and any system. Next season is Bowl or bust. We don't have time for development.
It is certainly something a good coach can do, take a look at what josh heupal has done with hendon hooker at tennessee. All of our players need to develop and grow, especially when you aren't getting top recruits.

Reactions: 007
I liked him mentioning we need to utilize the portal to our advantage and he emphasized it a couple of times. Perhaps he has seen the success SMU, MSU, Rutgers and many others have had with the portal and told Dino to get in on all the fun.

I like the first dude on the list from WKU. That team has a dynamic offense I watched a couple of their games and was impressed. The Korn dude sounds like a good one too

Let's hire an OC at one of the academy's, run the triple option with Schrader, rino and Tucker and turn back the hands of time on college football! As you can see from my font choice im obviously joking... or am I?

Let's hire an OC at one of the academy's, run the triple option with Schrader, rino and Tucker and turn back the hands of time on college football! As you can see from my font choice im obviously joking... or am I?
When you lack overall talent that is what you do. We are the P5 poster child for lack of talent! This is brilliant!