Who do you want as the new OC? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

I see the OT went to Milford. I don't follow recruiting closely but it seems like a few players from Milford have slipped through the cracks and had success at G5 schools lately. How do we not have a relationship anymore? Shouldn't we be IDing these kids?
You evidently don't visit the FB recruiting forum. There were several kids from Milford who visited for the Wake Forest game. And this young man visited for Pitt.

CL at this time I would like to defer to Jake with whom I was paraphrasing to provide a viable answer that you won't immediately scorn. Jake? All you!...(crickets)... Damn! Ok I will wing it. Double plus salary...if he turns offense successfully likely a P5 offer to head coach and that's all I got CL. Hey in fairness it's less crazy than other names being tossed around. :)
I was thinking in terms of advancement and climbing the corporate ladder. Once a recruiter, always a recruiter.

The most obvious has to be Andrew Sowder. Kent State was 3rd in country at total rushing and still put up good passing stats.

I haven’t looked up guys I would want. One thing I know is instead of being concerned about who will share your secrets about the freakin style of offense how about we just get coaches who can develop and freakin call plays

Single biggest issue was the oline and lack of depth. That impacted GS being able to develop as a better passer or at least competent looking passer on a regular basis. We def need a guy that can develop a QB.

Guess it’s a chicken or the egg argument though. Improve each one a little and things would likely have been very different this year.
It was clearly evident that his mechanics sucked at fan fest, and they didn’t improve. He’s a thrower, not a passer.

He doesn’t get that fixed, the pass game will never be acceptable.

Not my personal choices but some options

Andrew Breiner OC/QB FIU
Coached as Joe Moorhead’s OC at Fordham then took over as Fordham HC after he left.

Randy Clements OL/Running Game Ole Miss(fired)
Goes back to the Baylor coaching tree. Was OC/OL at Baylor while Dino was there. Ran a prolific offense of running and passing.
No more Baylor coaching tree i feel that systems been figured out to a degree or atleast figured out for a program that doesn’t have elite athletes to mask it

It was clearly evident that his mechanics sucked at fan fest, and they didn’t improve. He’s a thrower, not a passer.

He doesn’t get that fixed, the pass game will never be acceptable.

Not arguing but I think one impacts the other and vice versa. He’s never going to be a “clean” passer but he can make throws and has made some difficult throws in tough positions; game on the line and/or pocket collapsing, about to get drilled. Being able to pass more effectively will increase when he can focus more on mechanics and not whether he might die.

But like I said, we’re really arguing about the same thing. Clean both up even a little and things play out different this year.

Outside the box name: Ryan Carty, OC @ Sam Houston State
I was looking at him as well. KC Keeler has also brought Phil Longo and Tim Cramsey through as OC’s. Not a bad track record especially since they went 10-0 last season and 10-0 this season.

I was looking at him as well. KC Keeler has also brought Phil Longo and Tim Cramsey through as OC’s. Not a bad track record especially since they went 10-0 last season and 10-0 this season.
The more I read about Carty the more I like the idea

Breiner seems like a good fit. He would know how to use our pieces, he is from the Northeast, and he is young. FIU stunk this year though. But of the names he seems as good as any.

Probably the most realistic choice in this thread. Gets to jump off a clearly sinking ship at FIU while stepping up a couple of levels in competition and pay grade. Very low bar set for improvement at the QB position so he'll come out of the experience here smelling good even if Babers ultimately flames out. If he does rescue us, he could be one of the hottest HC candidates in the next cycle.

Why wouldn’t you just take Sean Lewis instead of Sowder?
Yeah, if we're going to try this Baylor offshoot offense again I think you try to get Lewis back. I'd imagine the salary for the right person could be anywhere from 1-1.25M. He wouldn't be my first pick, but I'd pick him over Sowder, then just tell him he can bring Sowder with him if he wants.

Yeah, if we're going to try this Baylor offshoot offense again I think you try to get Lewis back. I'd imagine the salary for the right person could be anywhere from 1-1.25M. He wouldn't be my first pick, but I'd pick him over Sowder, then just tell him he can bring Sowder with him if he wants.

Even if Lewis wanted to do it (which he wouldn't), his agent wouldn't let him. You are having success as a MAC head coach at a school with little to no historical success. He is closer to bigger job now than he ever would be as a potentially one-year hired gun at SU. When he took the Kent State job, he clearly decided then that this path would be the better one to future P5 coach or higher. Why would he change his mind now after actually enjoying some success there?

People need to get more realistic/creative or else I'm going to have to declare that this thread sucks.

People need to get it out of their heads about Lewis coming back here as a coordinator. He just won the MAC East Division and is playing Northern Illinois in the Championship, whom they already beat this season. No one in there right mind would do that.

Even if Lewis wanted to do it (which he wouldn't), his agent wouldn't let him. You are having success as a MAC head coach at a school with a terrible history. He is closer to bigger job now than he ever would be as a potentially one-year hired gun at SU. When he took the Kent State job, he clearly decided then that this path would be the better one to future P5 coach or higher. Why would he change his mind now after actually enjoying some success there?

People need to get more realistic/creative or else I'm going to have to declare that this thread sucks.
Yep. This. MAC HC who takes doormat program to conference champ has G5 or P5 written all over him. A P5 OC job is lateral at this point.

Even if Lewis wanted to do it (which he wouldn't), his agent wouldn't let him. You are having success as a MAC head coach at a school with little to no historical success. He is closer to bigger job now than he ever would be as a potentially one-year hired gun at SU. When he took the Kent State job, he clearly decided then that this path would be the better one to future P5 coach or higher. Why would he change his mind now after actually enjoying some success there?

People need to get it out of their heads about Lewis coming back here as a coordinator. He just won the MAC East Division and is playing Northern Illinois in the Championship, whom they already beat this season. No one in there right mind would do that.

I don't disagree with either one of these statements. Lewis as I said wouldn't be my first pick and even if he was a pick, he would never accept.

Yep. This. MAC HC who takes doormat program to conference champ has G5 or P5 written all over him. A P5 OC job is lateral at this point.

Even Sowder would be wise to stay at Kent as he'll likely be a candidate for the head job there if Lewis gets a promotion somewhere else.

I think the profile of the next OC here is pretty clear. Either a retread looking to break back into the bigtime or a younger guy on a leaky ship looking for a fresh start, more money, and more exposure. That's it. No other choices.

I think you’re missing what I’m saying…

I’m stating, if you’re going after Sowder you might as well swing for Lewis.

Money talks at the end of the day