Who do you want as the new OC? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

If DB hasn’t liked Gilbert for awhile I’m guessing he’s already been looking and we could potentially hear something soon. Need to get whomever it is out talking to commits, potential recruits and portal pounders.

I think you’re missing what I’m saying…

I’m stating, if you’re going after Sowder you might as well swing for Lewis.

Money talks at the end of the day

No I'm really not missing what you're saying. Football coaches are pretty stupid, I know, but no one is going to take a possible short-term payoff when they're clearly on the path to a big time one. If Babers is fired next year, Lewis is back at square one. Why would he do that? And for how much more next year? $500k? Who would choose $500k over a standard 5-year/$10-15 million contract that he'd get even at a bottom feeding P5 school?

Why wouldn’t you just take Sean Lewis instead of Sowder?

I would, but I don’t see him leaving a HC job to return to a previous position. He is having success at Kent St as they just made the MAC title game.

I think you’re missing what I’m saying…

I’m stating, if you’re going after Sowder you might as well swing for Lewis.

Money talks at the end of the day
Lewis will make more money as HC and be his own boss without coming here. He already parlayed the OC job to a better job. No reason to come back. I bet he gets a new HC gig this year.

Even if Lewis wanted to do it (which he wouldn't), his agent wouldn't let him. You are having success as a MAC head coach at a school with little to no historical success. He is closer to bigger job now than he ever would be as a potentially one-year hired gun at SU. When he took the Kent State job, he clearly decided then that this path would be the better one to future P5 coach or higher. Why would he change his mind now after actually enjoying some success there?

People need to get more realistic/creative or else I'm going to have to declare that this thread sucks.
That's why you make him AHC, OC, and QB coach, and Dino can be the Administrator, Lewis is unofficially the HC, until Dino's contract runs out or Dino decides to retire. Get a great young coach, who can recruit, and is willing to adapt to different situations.

That's why you make him AHC, OC, and QB coach, and Dino can be the Administrator, Lewis is unofficially the HC, until Dino's contract runs out or Dino decides to retire. Get a great young coach, who can recruit, and is willing to adapt to different situations.

I could get behind that but what's the point of Dino then? The most expensive college football mascot ever?

I could get behind that but what's the point of Dino then? The most expensive college football mascot ever?
As the face of the program he is great, and it allows Lewis to run the program without the distractions from the press. Meaning people like Axe.

What's Kevin Sumlin up to? Long history coaching big-time offenses. WR/QB coach. His Twitter doesn't give any clues about whether he's currently coaching.

What's Kevin Sumlin up to? Long history coaching big-time offenses. WR/QB coach. His Twitter doesn't give any clues about whether he's currently coaching.
He replaced Dino when Dino was fired as OC at A&M. Can't see that happening. What about Mike Sanford, who was just let go at Minnesota? Former OC at ND, Boise and HC at WKU-Experience coaching QB's. Believe SU looked at him for HC many years ago.

Last edited:
Few more names

Major Applewhite OC/QB South Alabama
Coached QB one year at Syracuse. Plenty of OC/QB experience.

Walt Bell Head Coach UMass (fired)
Very nice resume. OC/QB at Florida St, Maryland, Houston, and Arkansas St.

Kirk Ciarrocca Offensive Analyst W.Virginia
Was OC/QB under PJ Fleck for several years at Minnesota and Western Michigan.
Lots of northeast coaching experience.

Mike Bobo OC/QB Auburn (fired)
Mentored lots of good QB’s at Georgia.

Matt Wells Head Coach Texas Tech (fired)
Could be a nice rebound job after getting canned. Coached QB’s at Navy, Louisville, and Utah State.

give Mike Schmidt the OC...He came from San Diego St...They produced Rashaard Penny...He's coached the group up...Be a Power Running team.. Get a Young Dynamic QB coach...Maybe pick off a QB coach out of school like James Madison, Delaware, South Dakota St in FCS to come to the ACC and teach Garrett how to throw a 5 yard slant again, and the whole passing tree for that matter. Other wise if Jacobian or Lamson is ready go with them. We have an H-back at QB otherwise.
...Keep Tony White at DC...Hire the guy Joe behind me for my seasons tickets to run Special Teams...He's 65 and played in the Catholic City League in Syracuse...I think he's capable of doing it as a Volunteer Assistant like Kevin Donahue did for years at SU lax because we are so cost conscious...I'm only half kidding on that one

Let’s assume it won’t be someone we predict here

Dinos relationships in college football go back decades. Who knows who he decided on.

I’d love it to be Art Briles if we are playing crazy parlor game

I think we also have to keep in mind DB is likely feeling pressure and on the hot seat even though the season hasn’t started. He isn’t going to bring someone in that might look like a good choice to replace him.

I think we also have to keep in mind DB is likely feeling pressure and on the hot seat even though the season hasn’t started. He isn’t going to bring someone in that might look like a good choice to replace him.
What kind of logic is this? They’re not going to fire Dino to elevate a coordinator he hired. If the coordinator is good, then Dino stays because he’s likely winning.

What kind of logic is this? They’re not going to fire Dino to elevate a coordinator he hired. If the coordinator is good, then Dino stays because he’s likely winning.

Umm ok.

We have entered the ridiculous realm
W that one. That same logic would have worked for P and Edsall in 88-89 then. Let’s fire Mac so we can elevate these great coordinators

Let’s assume it won’t be someone we predict here

Dinos relationships in college football go back decades. Who knows who he decided on.

I’d love it to be Art Briles if we are playing crazy parlor game
………………….. I’m listening

Attachments

• E6559EB2-A647-48A3-A1B8-0DE939538EA6.gif
    E6559EB2-A647-48A3-A1B8-0DE939538EA6.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Few more names

Major Applewhite OC/QB South Alabama
Coached QB one year at Syracuse. Plenty of OC/QB experience.

Walt Bell Head Coach UMass (fired)
Very nice resume. OC/QB at Florida St, Maryland, Houston, and Arkansas St.

Kirk Ciarrocca Offensive Analyst W.Virginia
Was OC/QB under PJ Fleck for several years at Minnesota and Western Michigan.
Lots of northeast coaching experience.

Mike Bobo OC/QB Auburn (fired)
Mentored lots of good QB’s at Georgia.

Matt Wells Head Coach Texas Tech (fired)
Could be a nice rebound job after getting canned. Coached QB’s at Navy, Louisville, and Utah State.
I had a chance to talk with Walt Bell once. Didn't talk long but walked away impressed - very smart guy.