who else gets to break our heart tonight? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

who else gets to break our heart tonight?

Moore offered by Oklahoma on the 24th and they tried to get him to visit OU instead of SU

Missouri offered and sniffing around Winfield trying to flip him late

Kimble decided between us and NC State not FIU

actually if you say Cooper was never a commit somewhere, then you have to leave out Laray from your arguement since he never committed here

Moore offered by Oklahoma on the 24th and they tried to get him to visit OU instead of SU

Missouri offered and sniffing around Winfield trying to flip him late

Kimble decided between us and NC State not FIU

i'm stating where they flipped to and from. the guys we had also had plenty of big time offers. listen this isn't a knock against anyone. i'm just saying that this class is a downgrade from what it could have been. is that all that bad to say?

actually if you say Cooper was never a commit somewhere, then you have to leave out Laray from your arguement since he never committed here

ya ok if were getting technical, but even he admitted he was going to sign here before marrone left.

i'm stating where they flipped to and from. the guys we had also had plenty of big time offers. listen this isn't a knock against anyone. i'm just saying that this class is a downgrade from what it could have been. is that all that bad to say?
Not bad to say. But no one gets all the guys they go after. Every class could have been much better. End of the day, this will be a decent class.
Really hope we get Malik brown though. And we really need some frosh next year on the defensive side. Just two this year so far if you don't count Malik brown.

Edit: make that three.

Some flips would have happened anyways without the coaching carousel. These kids got new offers.

I doubt Malik would have turned down the UT visit with Marrone still on staff. Carter says he wants to get away from home. Gus would have visited the Florida schools. Laray may have put more emphasis on track. Only Allen emphatically stated the coaching change directly led to his departure, and he was back filled with Kimble.

Who knows how the previous staff would have filled in the gaps? We may have been in a better position several weeks ago ago under Marrone, but that doesn't necessarily mean we would have been in a better position TODAY under Marrone.

Don't forget the Bris. We flipped him from 3 or 4 schools at least.

who knows with him.. according to his twitter he just asked god for the power to make the right decision tomorrow. isn't the decision already made?

Some flips would have happened without the coaching carousel. These kids got new offers.

I doubt Malik would have turned down the UT visit with Marrone still on staff. Carter says he wants to get away from home. Gus would have visited the Florida schools. Laray may have put more emphasis on track.

Who knows how the previous staff would have filled in the gaps? We may have been in a better position several weeks ago ago under Marrone, but that doesn't necessarily mean we would have been in a better position TODAY under Marrone.
Marrone had recruiting locked up in October. Translation, there would not have been any replacements. The replacements were contacts the new staff coming in brought with them.

Not sure what everyone else was expecting after Marrone left when he did. I assumed we were going to be doing damage control all the way through tomorrow. You can say it's a great offer, why would he turn it down, etc. (and I get that), but this is the position he left us in. Period.

Marrone had recruiting locked up in October. Translation, there would not have been any replacements. The replacements were contacts the new staff coming in brought with them.

There is no such thing as recruiting being "locked up in October." That's why tomorrow is such a big deal. A verbal in the fall doesn't mean much. Flips are common, and not always related to a coaching change.

There is no such thing as recruiting being "locked up in October." That's why tomorrow is such a big deal. A verbal in the fall doesn't mean much. Flips are common, and not always related to a coaching change.
You think? That was my point.

You think? That was my point.

Yeah, I think we are in agreement here. We could have lost these kids anyways, but the new staff filled in the gaps nicely. No sense worrying about what could of been under Marrone and comparing the "old class" to the "new class" No one knows who would have actually signed tomorrow under Marrone.

i don't really see anyone judging this staff negatively?

Marrone and the old regime including HCSS turned this program around. He left for the NFL, it wasn't personal. We have to move on, business is business. I am sure everyone on this board has left jobs before for what we perceive to be better opportunities. HCSS and company have done a great job salvaging this class they brought in a bunch of three star guys from across the country in under a month and opened up pipelines to FL and the midwest. Would the class have been better with guys who left like Gus and Laray maybe or maybe not. Ther bottom line is this, Cuse is a program on the rise, we are headed to the ACC coming off a bowl win and now our recruiting battles are being fought with schools like Miami, Fl st, Tenn, Mizzou, Wisconsin and yes N.Ill who was a top 25 team and played in a BCS bowl. Cuse is on the verge of being a contender again, everyone get on board or get out of the way.

We aren't used to teams like Tennessee, Wisconsin, Iowa, Florida St., Miami, NC State, and TCU poaching or competing for our recruits. These kids aren't throwing a Cuse hat to the side and putting a Toledo Rockets cap on.

after losing out on spearman, singleton, and vercher we are definitely going to finish the class with significantly less talent. if you look at the guys we lost (allen, carter, gus, laray (he was ours), and possibly brown, compared to what we gained. this was not a good year at all.

That's rediculous. Yes we lost a few, but we gained a guy for everyone we lost with as much potential as any of the recruits we had. DM would have lost Gus, IMO, regardless, as soon as Miami and FSU came calling. They would have never gotten Corey Cooper, Mitch Kimble, Kendall Moore, and Brisly Estime. Add in Hayes, Scissum, Winfield, and Batten to boot as well as holding on to some key guys, this is not a bad class at all. The gets these guys got in just a few short weeks was pretty darn good, and all you want to do is whine. Did you remember last years class and the last day losses? Short memories. No, I am pretty satisfied so far by the effort put out by Shafers Team, they are bringing the big "E", excitement that is, back into our recruiting program. We should applaud their effort, not criticize it.

That's rediculous. Yes we lost a few, but we gained a guy for everyone we lost with as much potential as any of the recruits we had. DM would have lost Gus, IMO, regardless, as soon as Miami and FSU came calling. They would have never gotten Corey Cooper, Mitch Kimble, Kendall Moore, and Brisly Estime. Add in Hayes, Scissum, Winfield, and Batten to boot as well as holding on to some key guys, this is not a bad class at all. The gets these guys got in just a few short weeks was pretty darn good, and all you want to do is whine. Did you remember last years class and the last day losses? Short memories. No, I am pretty satisfied so far by the effort put out by Shafers Team, they are bringing the big "E", excitement that is, back into our recruiting program. We should applaud their effort, not criticize it.

reading comprehension doesn't seem to be to sound . and fsu and miami came calling for Gus long ago. he shut down his recruitment after committing so at least have your facts straight. same for allen.

and if you don't think losing Gus, Laray, and Carter, who are all local kids and positions of need i don't know what to tell you. that's not even including allen who was our biggest need. tell yourself whatever you want to make you feel better. i stated probably 5 times this wasn't a knock against the current staff, but it is a downgrade in talent. just a simple observation.

reading comprehension doesn't seem to be to sound . and fsu and miami came calling for Gus long ago. he shut down his recruitment after committing so at least have your facts straight. same for allen.
Bull, they didn't offer until late, end of story, get your facts straight. Gus has always stated his dream school was Miami. Where was the DM team with EO? IMO, if you are looking for reading comprehension, take ENGLISH 101 if that is all you have to come back with.

Bull, they didn't offer until late, end of story, get your facts straight. Gus has always stated his dream school was Miami. Where was the DM team with EO? IMO, if you are looking for reading comprehension, take ENGLISH 101 if that is all you have to come back with.

oh so he wasn't talking about Miami during the Summer? he shut down his recruitment when he committed, both schools wanted him.

Kinda thought we lost Spearman when he tweeted just before leaving SU: "I'm outta here in nine minutes."

Just gave me a bad feeling.

I personally think a lot of people are overreacting to the talent brought in by the new regime (or committed since then).

Rumor is Cooper has grade problems. Moore is supposedly coming in as a TE, not as an OT. Estime is fast, but I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of clearinghouse issue, given his background.

Hayes would have likely come here anyways. Scissum was a ODU commit.

Batten (likely Duke) and Winfield (Northern Illinois) are talent upgrades in my eyes that this class wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

I don't know what to think of Kimble other then Doeren loved him enough to try and get him to 2 schools (NIU and NC State).

I mean, if McDonald didn't tweet, would people be going all crazy about the new players?

Especially when the guys lost, like Carter, Edwards, Z. Allen were all considered big time prospects for Syracuse.

Losing Brantley, Whitehurst etc. have really hurt on past signing days. I hope Malik Brown doesn't get added to that.

I just think losing Anselmo was a death blow to NY recruiting and it is going to take Rob Moore time. I wonder about Daoust as recruiting coordinator (if you don't think we are going into the midwest heavy, I don't know what to say - Adkins was RC and there was an emphasis on GA with a mini pipeline into CA, most of the current coaches have some sort of relationship in the midwest). I think McDonald will be a good closer on the offensive side of the ball, but the question becomes are the position coaches as good recruiters as the previous staff? I haven't seen enough to offer an answer one way or the other.

I hope I am wrong and these guys are as talented as the players Marrone brought in late in his first cycle (but keep in mind, Marrone flips were from Louisville, South Florida and beating Miami out for Tiller).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom