who else gets to break our heart tonight? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

who else gets to break our heart tonight?

I personally think a lot of people are overreacting to the talent brought in by the new regime (or committed since then).

Rumor is Cooper has grade problems. Moore is supposedly coming in as a TE, not as an OT. Estime is fast, but I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of clearinghouse issue, given his background.

Hayes would have likely come here anyways. Scissum was a ODU commit.

Batten (likely Duke) and Winfield (Northern Illinois) are talent upgrades in my eyes that this class wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

I don't know what to think of Kimble other then Doeren loved him enough to try and get him to 2 schools (NIU and NC State).

I mean, if McDonald didn't tweet, would people be going all crazy about the new players?

Especially when the guys lost, like Carter, Edwards, Z. Allen were all considered big time prospects for Syracuse.

Losing Brantley, Whitehurst etc. have really hurt on past signing days. I hope Malik Brown doesn't get added to that.

I just think losing Anselmo was a death blow to NY recruiting and it is going to take Rob Moore time. I wonder about Daoust as recruiting coordinator (if you don't think we are going into the midwest heavy, I don't know what to say - Adkins was RC and there was an emphasis on GA with a mini pipeline into CA, most of the current coaches have some sort of relationship in the midwest). I think McDonald will be a good closer on the offensive side of the ball, but the question becomes are the position coaches as good recruiters as the previous staff? I haven't seen enough to offer an answer one way or the other.

I hope I am wrong and these guys are as talented as the players Marrone brought in late in his first cycle (but keep in mind, Marrone flips were from Louisville, South Florida and beating Miami out for Tiller).

Wow. I don't think you could take a more negative view. Maybe it's not as good as the hype, but it's not that bad.

Bull, they didn't offer until late, end of story, get your facts straight. Gus has always stated his dream school was Miami. Where was the DM team with EO? IMO, if you are looking for reading comprehension, take ENGLISH 101 if that is all you have to come back with.

UM had already offered Gus weeks before he committed to SU back in July.

I personally think a lot of people are overreacting to the talent brought in by the new regime (or committed since then).

Rumor is Cooper has grade problems. Moore is supposedly coming in as a TE, not as an OT. Estime is fast, but I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of clearinghouse issue, given his background.

Hayes would have likely come here anyways. Scissum was a ODU commit.

Batten (likely Duke) and Winfield (Northern Illinois) are talent upgrades in my eyes that this class wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

I don't know what to think of Kimble other then Doeren loved him enough to try and get him to 2 schools (NIU and NC State).

I mean, if McDonald didn't tweet, would people be going all crazy about the new players?

Especially when the guys lost, like Carter, Edwards, Z. Allen were all considered big time prospects for Syracuse.

Losing Brantley, Whitehurst etc. have really hurt on past signing days. I hope Malik Brown doesn't get added to that.

I just think losing Anselmo was a death blow to NY recruiting and it is going to take Rob Moore time. I wonder about Daoust as recruiting coordinator (if you don't think we are going into the midwest heavy, I don't know what to say - Adkins was RC and there was an emphasis on GA with a mini pipeline into CA, most of the current coaches have some sort of relationship in the midwest). I think McDonald will be a good closer on the offensive side of the ball, but the question becomes are the position coaches as good recruiters as the previous staff? I haven't seen enough to offer an answer one way or the other.

I hope I am wrong and these guys are as talented as the players Marrone brought in late in his first cycle (but keep in mind, Marrone flips were from Louisville, South Florida and beating Miami out for Tiller).

The guys brought in by HCSS and company are 3 stars on atleast one recruiting site mostly two recruiting sites. We are now battling for recruits with big time programs Miami, Fl st, etc. Was Marrone doing better than that on his first cycle?

The guys brought in by HCSS and company are 3 stars on atleast one recruiting site mostly two recruiting sites. We are now battling for recruits with big time programs Miami, Fl st, etc. Was Marrone doing better than that on his first cycle?

Who did Syracuse beat Miami and Florida State for this cycle? Marrone beat Miami for Andrew Tiller in his first cycle.

I suppose you could argue that HCSS beat Louisville for Cooper, but the offer was pulled. Which means you would need to say that Marrone also beat Wake Forest for Rishard Anderson.

Miami and FSU didnt push hard until their other options failed

HCDM would have kept Gus only because Anselmo
Zach Allen would have stayed only because of Nate

I feel very confident in this staff moving on to 2014 ... especially if they can make a bowl game

Was something false?

Nothing false, but you're looking at glass half empty, with a crack in it. Reality is probably between the 2 extremes.

We'll be ok. New staff = new hope - till proven otherwise.

I mean, you know guys, we could just wait until this class is finished and steps on the field to judge them... or we could continue arguing over useless/subjective points.

Who did Syracuse beat Miami and Florida State for this cycle? Marrone beat Miami for Andrew Tiller in his first cycle.

I suppose you could argue that HCSS beat Louisville for Cooper, but the offer was pulled. Which means you would need to say that Marrone also beat Wake Forest for Rishard Anderson.
wow

get off Marrone's jock

He landed some great kids who turned out great

SS staff has landed some highly regarded kids as well

it is not a dick measuring contest here

Go back and review the ratings of our 2009 class from S***t, Tiller and Lemon are the only players with 3 stars. Which class appears to be rated stronger to you, 09 or this class?

Gus said Miami was his dream school right around when he committed to SU. I don't think it's far-fetched that he'd decommit, even with Marrone, after having half a year to think about it.

Nothing false, but you're looking at glass half empty, with a crack in it. Reality is probably between the 2 extremes.

We'll be ok. New staff = new hope - till proven otherwise.

Right, I am very excited for this staff in 2014 and the recruiting they can do (and especially where the focus is area wise), as hopefully McDonald can make huge inroads into Florida and Syracuse can get back into the midwest.

But, there is a huge difference b/w the players that decommitted and the ones that committed (especially with Shafer working with a better product then Marrone at the outset of the coaching change).

I mean, hopefully:

Cooper qualifies and is able to get quality practice reps while redshirting
Moore shows athleticism as a TE with quality hands or moves to OT after a redshirt year
Estime becomes one of the best kickoff returners in Syracuse history and a true weapon out of the slot
Kimble helps create quality competition at QB and Syracuse is lucky to have both him and Wilson
Scissum becomes a starting safety as a RS Soph.

This was supposed to be Marrone's crown jewel and it was looking a little underwhelming when it got so juco heavy. I don't want to say we can write this class off, but I'm not too worried whatever happens.

McDonald will make the magic happen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

wow

get off Marrone's jock

He landed some great kids who turned out great

SS staff has landed some highly regarded kids as well

it is not a dick measuring contest here

Merely responding to an answer about competing with Miami and Florida State.

I am glad it isn't a dick measuring contest because I would lose.

Go back and review the ratings of our 2009 class from S***t, Tiller and Lemon are the only players with 3 stars. Which class appears to be rated stronger to you, 09 or this class?

This class does. Based on ratings (and Lemon shouldn't be included in that - GRob recruit). But, shouldn't the ratings be better taking over a team that was coming off a Pinstripe Bowl win and supposedly "up and coming" as opposed to a team that was regarded as one of the worst BCS programs?

Based on flips, its 09.

Gus said Miami was his dream school right around when he committed to SU. I don't think it's far-fetched that he'd decommit, even with Marrone, after having half a year to think about it.

i specifically remember seeing a tweet sent out by Gus in response to Malik Brown asking him where he was going to visit next. To paraphrase Gus his response was something along the lines of...why would i visit anywhere else i am already committed.

he shut down his recruitment almost completely . i highly doubt he would have went anywhere. the interest from both Miami and FSU was always there.

Merely responding to an answer about competing with Miami and Florida State.

I am glad it isn't a dick measuring contest because I would lose.

This class does. Based on ratings (and Lemon shouldn't be included in that - GRob recruit). But, shouldn't the ratings be better taking over a team that was coming off a Pinstripe Bowl win and supposedly "up and coming" as opposed to a team that was regarded as one of the worst BCS programs?

Based on flips, its 09.

So take Lemon out and there is one 3 star guy in Marrone's class. Should the ratings be better coming off a bowl win possibly, and they are. The guys we flipped are all 3 star guys as opposed to Marrone who could only flip one 3 star guy. Scissum despite being an ODU flip is a 3 star on S****t and ESPN. Corey Cooper is a 3 star guy with major offers. Winfield is a 3 star on multiple sites, Batten is a 3 star on R****s, Hayes is a 3 star on ESPN and so are Kimble and Moore. Does losing Gus, Laray and Zach hurt sure but we are solid at RB through next season and Zach wasnt going to start this year anyway. HCSS and company closed out strong and they deserve credit for it. It is looking promising going into next year and then we will see what they are really made of. GO ORANGE.

So take Lemon out and there is one 3 star guy in Marrone's class. Should the ratings be better coming off a bowl win possibly, and they are. The guys we flipped are all 3 star guys as opposed to Marrone who could only flip one 3 star guy. Scissum despite being an ODU flip is a 3 star on S****t and ESPN. Corey Cooper is a 3 star guy with major offers. Winfield is a 3 star on multiple sites, Batten is a 3 star on R****s, Hayes is a 3 star on ESPN and so are Kimble and Moore. Does losing Gus, Laray and Zach hurt sure but we are solid at RB through next season and Zach wasnt going to start this year anyway. HCSS and company closed out strong and they deserve credit for it. It is looking promising going into next year and then we will see what they are really made of. GO ORANGE.

And I hope the ratings are true and they are better contributors then Phillip Thomas, Shamarko Thomas, Brandon Sharpe, Zach Chibane, Rishard Anderson and Andrew Tiller - who were the flips/new recruits.

I don't count Laray as a loss, since he never officially committed (thus, if they get him, it is a get for HCSS and not FHCDM). I also don't consider Hayes a flip b/c I think he was coming here as long as his offer wasn't pulled by the new staff.

I just disagree they closed out strong (though holding onto Brown would be a huge step in that direction). I am very excited to see the new offense in spring ball and think McDonald is going to be a much better OC then people think.

My post shouldn't be read as one lacking faith in the staff. I just don't think they closed strong.

And I hope the ratings are true and they are better contributors then Phillip Thomas, Shamarko Thomas, Brandon Sharpe, Zach Chibane, Rishard Anderson and Andrew Tiller - who were the flips/new recruits.

I don't count Laray as a loss, since he never officially committed (thus, if they get him, it is a get for HCSS and not FHCDM). I also don't consider Hayes a flip b/c I think he was coming here as long as his offer wasn't pulled by the new staff.

I just disagree they closed out strong (though holding onto Brown would be a huge step in that direction). I am very excited to see the new offense in spring ball and think McDonald is going to be a much better OC then people think.

My post shouldn't be read as one lacking faith in the staff. I just don't think they closed strong.

We can agree to disagree about closing out strong, because I certainly think they have. To your point Phillip Thomas, Shamarko Thomas, Brandon Sharpe, Zach Chibane, Rishard Anderson and Andrew Tiller - who were the 2 star flips/new recruits at that time, I think our 3 star flips/new recruits have just as much potential to contribute as those in 09. Either way we are all Cuse fans here and I am pumped for tomorrow. GO ORANGE.

We can agree to disagree about closing out strong, because I certainly think they have. To your point Phillip Thomas, Shamarko Thomas, Brandon Sharpe, Zach Chibane, Rishard Anderson and Andrew Tiller - who were the 2 star flips/new recruits at that time, I think our 3 star flips/new recruits have just as much potential to contribute as those in 09. Either way we are all Cuse fans here and I am pumped for tomorrow. GO ORANGE.

Should be fun to see who ends up at Cuse.

Just for a quick reference (I am not a big ratings guy, but checked ESPN for 09) and they had Chibane, Shamarko and Rishard as 3 stars based on their grade. While having NR's for Phillip Thomas and Justin Pugh... Gotta love the attention for Syracuse recruiting in 09!

I am so glad ESPN has improved their recruiting coverage so much in that time span. Love reading actual in depth scouting reports on these players as opposed to just a star rating and offers.

i'm sorry, but i don't see how you can say we closed out strong? now am i saying it is anyone fault, no. am i saying HCSS was in an extremely tough spot, yes. Am i fully confident that with a full recruiting cycle we will be very successful, yes. did we do the best we could under the circumstance, again, yes. still though let's not kid ourselves. we flipped kids, and also got kids competing against lesser schools. however we lost recruiting battles to teams such as mizzou, wisconsin, and iowa. we also had kids flip to tcu, rutgers, fsu/miami, then you have LaRay, and Brown, still to decide. Keeping Brown would be huge, but let's not sugar coat this. we did the best we could under the circumstance, which isn't the same as closing strong.

i'm sorry, but i don't see how you can say we closed out strong? now am i saying it is anyone fault, no. am i saying HCSS was in an extremely tough spot, yes. Am i fully confident that with a full recruiting cycle we will be very successful, yes. did we do the best we could under the circumstance, again, yes. still though let's not kid ourselves. we flipped kids, and also got kids competing against lesser schools. however we lost recruiting battles to teams such as mizzou, wisconsin, and iowa. we also had kids flip to tcu, rutgers, fsu/miami, then you have LaRay, and Brown, still to decide. Keeping Brown would be huge, but let's not sugar coat this. we did the best we could under the circumstance, which isn't the same as closing strong.

I am not sure how people can argue this.

I am not sure how people can argue this.

Closing out strong is subjective. I would saying closing out strong is adding kids that are rated 3 stars which is as high as we have typically recruited in years past with full recruiting cycles and a staff that was established at Cuse. I didn't say we hit a home run or it was a miracle class of recruits. We could have just as easily ended up with a bunch of back up 2 star recruits with no offers at all just to get bodies out there. I dont know how you can say we didn't close out strong pulling kids in from Florida and the midwest where we had no foot print before with under a month left. Any kid we did lose was poached by a program more highly regarded in recent years for football. Did you expect us to pick up 4 and 5 star players? I wouldnt consider that closing out strong, I would consider it a miracle for the moment.

I don't count Laray as a loss, since he never officially committed (thus, if they get him, it is a get for HCSS and not FHCDM). I also don't consider Hayes a flip b/c I think he was coming here as long as his offer wasn't pulled by the new staff
The arbiter of recruiting credit agrees with the first part of your post and disagrees with the second part.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Relax. It's a 26 day signing class for Shafer. The sky isn't falling nor are our hearts broken.

This is how I see it. Our HC has been in his position for less than a month. The fact that we've kept the class together (for the most part) and added some nice new pieces over the last 4 weeks is a very good sign. Very excited to see what our staff does with a full year. McDonald reeled in a top 10 class at Minnesota. Minne-freakin-sota. Next year will be our best class in 15 years or so.

We're not done yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom