Who Has it Worse Than Us | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who Has it Worse Than Us

I wish Syracuse Fan base realizes that the recruits we CRAVE to sign look at our Football Board and the Recruiting Board to make their decisions.

Prospects read EVERYTHING, and the schools that we recruit against tell football prospects (and their parents) to look at our Football Board and Recruiting Board and make up their minds for themselves if they should come to Syracuse.

Our Coaches have to clean up all the "venom" that is posted on our Football Board and Recruiting Board that "ignorant fans" post.

Just the other day; I had one coach whose team is in the top 15 ranked high school football teams nationally tell me "McKinley Syracuse Football Fans negative posting is killing your program's recruiting efforts. Those are some stupid MFs. Why do they do that?"

"I have no idea." I replied
I have been wondering the same thing for literally decades.

Tennessee has been pretty basic for a long time. 71-67 since 2007.

Obviously that’s better than we have been...but they were also way better than us in our respective good years.

They went from perennial top 10 program to perennial .500 team.
They were more like a perennial top 20 program. They had a 5 year run from '95-'99 where they finished top 10, but, outside of that, they weren't consistently that elite. I know it's nitpicking, but I can't give them anymore credit than they deserve. Living amongst them has made me despise UT and their fans.

Edit: I have loved their struggles. The only thing worse than dealing with SU's struggles is doing that while living within an arrogant SEC fanbase. I relish every loss, especially when it's to Florida or Alabama.

Crazy, I never thought that fans complaining about having the worst offense in Division I football would be killing our recruiting.

I would have thought, you know, that having the worst offense in Division I football is what's hurting our recruiting.

How many times do we offer a kid a scholarship, and the reaction from half the fanbase is "I don't like his offer sheet. Why is Dino wasting his time on this project?"

Kids love to read that. Being thrown under the bus before they've even gotten off the bus.

I wish Syracuse Fan base realizes that the recruits we CRAVE to sign look at our Football Board and the Recruiting Board to make their decisions.

Prospects read EVERYTHING, and the schools that we recruit against tell football prospects (and their parents) to look at our Football Board and Recruiting Board and make up their minds for themselves if they should come to Syracuse.

Our Coaches have to clean up all the "venom" that is posted on our Football Board and Recruiting Board that "ignorant fans" post.

Just the other day; I had one coach whose team is in the top 15 ranked high school football teams nationally tell me "McKinley Syracuse Football Fans negative posting is killing your program's recruiting efforts. Those are some stupid MFs. Why do they do that?"

I guess those HS coaches don’t go to any teams message boards then.
SEC fans are insane.

I support Dino Babers 100%. Love the hell out of him when we hired him. Still support him.
He hired an outstanding defensive coordinator.
The offense we have put on the field the first 2 weeks deserves major criticism. Calling these offensive performances poor is an insult to the word poor. They have been FCS quality.

Again I love Dino and I am not even close to the posters on here who want him more accountable I think he went all-in with one QB and that has hurt the program. When you go all-in it’s gotta work.

if Syracuse fans can’t express frustration when it’s warranted then we shouldn’t have a board.

I guess those HS coaches don’t go to any teams message boards then.
SEC fans are insane.

I support Dino Babers 100%. Love the hell out of him when we hired him. Still support him.
He hired an outstanding defensive coordinator.
The offense we have put on the field the first 2 weeks deserves major criticism. Calling these offensive performances poor is an insult to the word poor. They have been FCS quality.

Again I love Dino and I am not even close to the posters on here who want him more accountable I think he went all-in with one QB and that has hurt the program. When you go all-in it’s gotta work.

if Syracuse fans can’t express frustration when it’s warranted then we shouldn’t have a board.
Touche

How many times do we offer a kid a scholarship, and the reaction from half the fanbase is "I don't like his offer sheet. Why is Dino wasting his time on this project?"

Kids love to read that. Being thrown under the bus before they've even gotten off the bus.

'Half the fanbase' meaning two or three people who quickly get shut down by clearly knowledgeable posters who remind them that it's (usually when you see these posts) still early in the recruiting cycle and not to get too excited about offer sheets yet...

What's said on here is child's play compared to 75% of what P5 schools' fans post about and on par with the other 25%.

Every fan base has knuckleheads but SU’s knuckleheads don’t seem to bother the basketball side and JB 4/5* recruits. So why only football, are they more sensitive?

Until we physically move the university to a warm weather climate we will be what we are.
Then y’all know which voting lever to pull if you want lake effect snow to be a fairy tale we share with our grandchildren over the campfire.

Every fan base has knuckleheads but SU’s knuckleheads don’t seem to bother the basketball side and JB 4/5* recruits. So why only football, are they more sensitive?
Maybe you haven’t been on the hoops board the past 5 years. JB and especially his godson Gerry have been tarred and feathered to the point where it became a tired joke. The Dior train bought some time but god help everyone if he bails.

Many of you are completely missing the point. It’s not so much “criticizing the offense” it is ripping players that voluntarily came to play for SU. If the fans don’t have your back, then why come? We can be critical of aspects of a game without being demeaning and disrespectful of the players and to a somewhat lesser extent the coaching staff. There is a big difference in “I don’t understand why coach didn’t stop the clock and would really like to hear an explanation” versus “coach is a quitter and he should be fired.” Or how about “our passing game needs a lot of work and would like coach to explain what is going wrong and how it will be fixed” versus “our QB and OC suck and no other P5 program would take them.” It’s perfectly fine to be a fan and expect results, it’s not okay to treat our players and coaches poorly. I think that was Bearsdad’s point. And I agree with him.

They were more like a perennial top 20 program. They had a 5 year run from '95-'99 where they finished top 10, but, outside of that, they weren't consistently that elite. I know it's nitpicking, but I can't give them anymore credit than they deserve. Living amongst them has made me despise UT and their fans.

Edit: I have loved their struggles. The only thing worse than dealing with SU's struggles is doing that while living within an arrogant SEC fanbase. I relish every loss, especially when it's to Florida or Alabama.

Tennessee is the team that's always ranked in the preseason but never in the postseason.

Many of you are completely missing the point. It’s not so much “criticizing the offense” it is ripping players that voluntarily came to play for SU. If the fans don’t have your back, then why come? We can be critical of aspects of a game without being demeaning and disrespectful of the players and to a somewhat lesser extent the coaching staff. There is a big difference in “I don’t understand why coach didn’t stop the clock and would really like to hear an explanation” versus “coach is a quitter and he should be fired.” Or how about “our passing game needs a lot of work and would like coach to explain what is going wrong and how it will be fixed” versus “our QB and OC suck and no other P5 program would take them.” It’s perfectly fine to be a fan and expect results, it’s not okay to treat our players and coaches poorly. I think that was Bearsdad’s point. And I agree with him.
I agree though we have had parents in the past post similar digs about the program. It's a fan forum and sadly this is big time business and all the players and their families know it or should. Civility would be nice though.

Like anything else, there is always a line that shouldn't be crossed. The Mods here do a great job to weed out a lot of nonsense, but even still some comments are over the top. The nature of people I guess. As Newhouser says above, this is a business. (I wish it was not so, but that's a different discussion.) So it's understandable that people feel entitled to vent. But to me there is a big difference between the relationship between college teams/schools and their fans and pro teams and their fans. It's probably the private school stigma, and the fact that most locals never actually attended SU. But it creates a "pro" fan relationship, unlike what most big State schools experience. And that's a shame. I have no idea how recruits and parents view this site or others like it. Personally, I come here to read about the team and join in on some conversations about them. But when the going gets tough, things here can get a little toxic, and I simply back away. Hopefully it isn't too toxic for recruits, because you're kidding yourself if you think people don't read this board to get a glimpse into the mindset of the fans and program.

"Half the fan base?" That's sheer hyperbole on your behalf, unless of course, you think that our fan base is 100% represented by the number of board members here. I'd bet it represents a very small fraction of same.

"Being thrown under the bus?" Then I guess the "chip on the shoulder" type trait of many of these young adults we seem to land is malarkey too?

It used to be Minnesota until PJ Fleck took the Gophers to 11-2 and a top 10 finish last year.

MN has 7 National Championships (last 1960) but hasn't won the B1G since 1967 or even played in the Rose Bowl since 1962.

Come talk to me in another 20 years...if you are still even around

Tennessee is a great one. How the mighty fall. Went from Fat Phil to Butch Jones thinking things would get better. That's a hire that set them back in the SEC.
Yea but they SWOLLOWED their pride and contacted the orchestrators who direct them where to pick it up from and now are kicking but recruiting.

In short, they used a boo$ter who could keep his fricken mouth shut and just bring in what they need (talent wise) to accelerate their turnaround.

You think Sammy Watkins came to Clemson because he had an opportunity to start. All it takes is one or two game breakers to ignite your program, but you have to have that one guy who make$ it happen and doesn't mind being "unknown."

There is a "Wizard of OZ" behind every curtain in the top 4 programs. LOL LOL LOL

Nobody is treating anyone poorly. I was recruited to play d2 and D2 fb. It would have been a dream to play for a big program with notoriety and be big enough a player that people noticed and criticized. It comes with the territory and these kids are taken care of and play on national tv. It's a small price to pay.

LOL

My total Focus is the 2022 class and beyond...

This was just meant as a fun thread. At this point if we don’t have some humor about it it’s just not that much fun at all . I also don’t think this is any different than you will find on any fan message board across the P5. When people aren’t complaining about something is when you really should be worried

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom