Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

How much confidence do you have in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
5 people voted the top option yesterday due to a Forza bump well done:

So, I don’t want this thread to get crazy. I have no idea if he will return. The only thing I know is that no one knows...and anyone making any definitive statements has no idea.

However, I believe the thought of him returning is no longer a crazy idea.
But...we read you guaranteed his Syracuse bags are packed and ready to go. Which is it?;)

Here is the deal. Before MH went to Washington, there was serious concerns about whether he could coach. He went to Washington, and within 2 years, he got the program into the tournament. He has already proven he can recruit top recruits. If there are any questions about his ability to coach the game, that will come with time. At the beginning, Boeheim was a great recruiter and people were concerned his coaching. Now, Boeheim is considered one of the best game coaches. If Hopkins wants to come home, he should be welcomed home with open arms.

As an established Power 5 coach, he is no longer coming back as the heir apparent. He has proven his abilities. I'd take my changes with Hop with no concerns.

As to whether he would leave Washington. For all the accolades about Washington (and I agree), Syracuse has a higher bar than Washington. Playing in the ACC, playing in the Carrier Dome, history and tradition. As a basketball coach, I just think there are more opportunities for a national title and legacy at Syracuse in college basketball. If it is a career opportunity and loyalty that is a top priority, I think he would come. If it s afmaily matter, than i am not so sure.

IF MH comes back it will be as his own man, not an extension of JB.
That's literally the most important part of the succession path for me, whoever takes the job. I'd love, and no I have no right to hope for this, some assurance that it will be a clean break for JB and SU. No behind the scenes power broking, just advice only when it is asked for.

That's literally the most important part of the succession path for me, whoever takes the job. I'd love, and no I have no right to hope for this, some assurance that it will be a clean break for JB and SU. No behind the scenes power broking, just advice only when it is asked for.
I would be surprised if JB acts as anything more than a sounding board and casual observer once he is through coaching, even if his successor has direct ties to the program. I believe he will ride off into retirement and spend most of his time enjoying his family and various non-basketball pursuits.

Hop is probably the best way to do this. He is boeheims son basically and he giving chest bumps to naz carter today and gives fans pizza while high fiveing like 200 people. You can’t get a more different personality wise from Boeheim.

Well done for all the people voting 2 years after the poll.
Good job Forza. A lot of smart people can answer a poll well after the fact.

I have lived in Syracuse and I have lived in Seattle. Enough said.

I watched the UW vs South Dakota game and what I found interesting was one of the assistant coaches...maybe even 2...were up and standing a lot during the game and yelling instructions or the like. Found that kind of odd. I don't watch a lot of college basketball and maybe schools do this more now than they used too.

I am glad that Hop is doing well at Washington.

I think Hop is someone who is loyal to a fault, in that way he is like JB. I don't think he will come back. I also think if the original succession plan were executed as intended, Hop would not do as well at the Cuse compared to what he did at Washington.

The Washington job allowed him to have a clean break to build his own.

Had he stay after JB leaves he would have been too concerned about carrying JB's torch and protecting his legacy. He would have inherited players recruited for JB's zone, assistant coaches used to JB's system, he probably would make decisions based more on "what would coach do?" and less "what would Hop do?" he may even call JB to get his blessings on things on a regular basis. A totally different recipe that may lead to disasters and a whole different trajectory altogether.

Last edited:
Seattle is a hot bed for basketball talent and he already has the east coast pipeline. Combine those two and he can recruit with the best as shown with this past class that had two five star guys.

Dynasty.

I watched the UW vs South Dakota game and what I found interesting was one of the assistant coaches...maybe even 2...were up and standing a lot during the game and yelling instructions or the like. Found that kind of odd. I don't watch a lot of college basketball and maybe schools do this more now than they used too.

UW has 2 former head coaches, Cameron Dollar and Dave Rice. I'm guessing that's part of the reason.

UW has 2 former head coaches, Cameron Dollar and Dave Rice. I'm guessing that's part of the reason.

Thanks for the response t3z. It would drive me crazy as a HC to have that happen as I'm a little too alpha and it just seems confusing in who's in control to me.

If I was Hopkins, I would not want to come back. He's doing well, getting his recruits and the school loves him. Why come back to a declining Syracuse and rebuild from scratch?

I think Syracuse would have better luck grabbing an up and coming mid major coach who is willing to go through the rebuild than getting Hop back.

If I was Hopkins, I would not want to come back. He's doing well, getting his recruits and the school loves him. Why come back to a declining Syracuse and rebuild from scratch?

I think Syracuse would have better luck grabbing an up and coming mid major coach who is willing to go through the rebuild than getting Hop back.

Yeah, people never want to go back to the school they played at with a fan base that actually cares about basketball.

I dont think you can consider syracuse starting from scratch...even at the current level.

Start from scratch?
We have more Final Fours this decade ourselves than the entire PAC-12 does as a conference which Hop is coaching in.
This isn’t a complete rebuild. We have been medicore not UConn the last 3 years under .500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom